Contact lenses and make up

(14 Posts)
Busybuzzybumblebee Sat 14-May-16 08:43:45

Hi all,

I've just started wearing contact lenses and was wondering whether to put on your make up first or contacts in first? Optician just said don't let make up get on lense.

So which way is best?

Thanks

JoyFantastic Sat 14-May-16 08:59:09

I put lenses in first and then wait a couple of minutes, usually there's a bit of solution gets on my skin/ lashes so putting make up on first would mean smudges. I've only got mascara on a lens once, many years ago, and it was immediately obvious. I think most make-up these days is suitable for contact wearers, just avoid very loose powders near the eye area.

Gazelda Sat 14-May-16 09:01:35

Exactly the same as Joy. Give a few mins after putting the lenses in, in case they don't 'settle' immediately.

Also, I pull my eyelids about a bit when putting lenses in, so that would smudge eye makeup if I did it the other way around.

murphyslaws Sat 14-May-16 09:04:46

Waterproof mascara.

Leviticus Sat 14-May-16 09:10:31

Eyeshadow first so I'm not knocking the lens about while I'm blending. Then lenses in, do something else while they settle - hair or get dressed. Then once eyes are dry do liner and mascara.

If you get a little bit of something on the outside of your lens it will just clean off as you blink and gather in the corner of your eye. Not ideal but not the end of the world either.

FuckOffJeffrey Sat 14-May-16 10:58:50

I've done both but before is easier to put them in before makeup. I've found putting them in after causes mascara to either run (I don't like waterproof mascara) or flake a little. I sometimes use my hair dryer for a few seconds on a cool, low settling to blow away excess powder from eyeshadow and face (it also dries mascara faster) and this stops any powder getting in my eyes. Obviously keep you eyes closed when the hairdryer is on.

haveacupoftea Sat 14-May-16 11:33:17

I put them in before. Otherwise i cant see what im doing grin

FutureGadgetsLab Sat 14-May-16 11:34:11

Contacts in first. Otherwise I wouldn't see to do my makeup!

neveradullmoment99 Sat 14-May-16 12:40:31

I always do my make up then add my lenses. Its not the best practice because it can get messed up getting them on. Most of time its fine though. I just hate touching my eyes when they are in.

PestilentialCat Sat 14-May-16 12:54:03

CLs in first, take them out before removing make-up

bumpingalong9386 Sat 14-May-16 13:00:20

I put my lenses in first so I can actually see to do my makeup grin

HappinessLivesHere Sat 14-May-16 16:16:04

Definitely contacts before make up!

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sat 14-May-16 16:21:30

lenses first usually....although if I an going to do fancy eye liner on top lash line I do that first as I am really shortsighted and now need reading specs so without the lenses in I can still see if I am really close to the mirror.

otherwise it's lenses then start the face maintenance. Also means you do not have to rewash hands to get rid of any products/moisturiser.

Caterina99 Sat 14-May-16 16:36:02

Lenses first. Or I can't see to do makeup!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now