Wellies (yes, really) for a 'country set' wedding.

(26 Posts)
AnnaChronism Sat 14-May-16 08:28:39

I'm going to a wedding in the summer, the ceremony is formal dress, I've got that.

Then the reception and evening do is in a very beautiful but rural wedding. As guests we have all been told to wear wellies and take a waterproof coat! Although the idea is that we don't change out of our formal clothes.

It's a very 'country set' wedding.
I want them to be plain and in a neutral colour as I will wear them again.

Hunter? Barbour? Something else?

Which wellingtons would be the ones to buy?

BikeRunSki Sat 14-May-16 08:30:36

The discerning welly of choice tend to be Aigke or Le Chameau.

FreeButtonBee Sat 14-May-16 08:32:18

Green dunlops. A tenner on Amazon. Get em dirty before you go.

FloweryBaps Sat 14-May-16 08:34:57

Hunters. Mine are a nice slim fit so they don't feel all clumpy like other wellies can. They come in lots of colors so you can get some to match your outfit. Although, if the ground has been dry for a few days some flats or wedges would surely be sufficient and slightly more attractive?

Does it have to be erllies? I live in the Lakes and spend most of the winter in 'country boots'

If money is no object, Ariat is the brand to go for. Gorgeous. I get much cheaper ones and they're equally waterproof and much more stylish than wellies.

BikeRunSki Sat 14-May-16 08:36:40

Or what Free said grin
Dirty cheap or really expensive, but most importantly, dirty.

ProseccoPoppy Sat 14-May-16 08:37:23

A vote here for Le Chameau. Mine are lovely - I splurged a bit for the neoprene lined ones and they've been fantastic - lovely warm dry feet at all times! As you're going to a summer wedding those might be a bit too warm so I'd recommend the le Chameau country lady wellies, lighter weight but still nice quality and a decent tread on the soles. Similar price to basic Hunters and much better.

lavendersun Sat 14-May-16 08:40:42

Me too, Le chameau, I have got two pairs, one neoprene lined and another pair that isn't lined .... They are both 13 years old, I have got horses/dogs. They are used a lot.

AnnaChronism Sat 14-May-16 08:43:44

Thank you grin

AnnaChronism Sat 14-May-16 08:55:04

Oops posted too soon.
I already own the filthy Dunlops smile

I asked the bride about wedges/flats but she said 'no' as it's a working farm, cattle
The bride is lovely, she's not the type to be dictatorial about clothing so if she says 'wear wellies' then she means it!

I got the dress I'm wearing for a steal and I have the shoes already so I'll happily splash out excuse the pun on some decent wellies. I go to shows and walk too so I will wear them again and again.

It's going to be a brilliant wedding.

ProseccoPoppy Sat 14-May-16 09:02:07

That sounds like an awesome wedding! smile

thatorchidmoment Sat 14-May-16 09:03:16

Behold, I give you:

www.joules.com/Catalogue/Item/Evedon/Premium-Wellies/Black?id=O_EVEDON%7CBLACK

They have a fetching ribbon at the back, so totes posh.

grin

thatorchidmoment Sat 14-May-16 09:04:27

Sorry, they are out of stock: style fail! blush

wonkylegs Sat 14-May-16 14:45:37

Have a look on here www.thewellyshop.com
They have serious welly's and some more fun ones too

wonkylegs Sat 14-May-16 14:49:37

They even have a wedding welly category lol
www.thewellyshop.com/wellies-by-usage/wedding-wellies.html

MintyChops Sat 14-May-16 14:50:54

Muck boots are my welly of choice....

elephantpig Sat 14-May-16 14:55:13

I adore my hunters but won't be replacing them.

I've had them about 10 years and they are still great, but in the last few years Hunter have moved production from the UK to China. They are basically dunlops with a hunter badge now. Don't waste your money.

AnnaChronism Sat 14-May-16 17:01:54

That's interesting elephantpig Hunters were definitely high on my list.

What does anyone think of Barbour wellies? Would they think I was infra dig?

Thanks wonkylegs I'm overwhelmed by wellies now! I wouldn't wear white wellies to the wedding, in fact the bride showed me the ones she is wearing and they aren't 'bridal' even so, I wouldn't wear them as a guest.

crumpet Sat 14-May-16 17:05:47

It's leather wellies you want - Dubarrys or similar

Pigeonpost Sat 14-May-16 17:09:59

Seasalt wellies are lovely. Alternatively you could look at 'country boots' which are the leather wellies. Mine are by Dublin River and I wore them pretty much every day for 6 months. Waterproof but super comfy and look like real boots too.

GrumpyOldBag Sat 14-May-16 17:12:52

I also swear by Muck Boots, might be a bit warm in summer though.

mysteryfairy Sat 14-May-16 17:27:01

You could get some ilse Jacobsen rubber boots which look slightly more like a normal shoe. Tbh they are probably not the sort of thing you'd accessorise a wedding outfit with.

Failing that I'd go for the hunters if I wasn't a big welly wearer just because they are a narrower leg so potentially more flattering plus you can match the colour to what you're wearing. They turn up on places like the outnet out of season so I'd try for a bargain.

ProseccoPoppy Sun 15-May-16 05:34:15

Elephantpig is right - new Hunters are dreadful (and really shiny, why would you want shiny wellies?). My last Hunters were great until I managed to crack the tops by stupidly driving in them but when I looked to replace them you could see the new version wouldn't last, the soles weren't right and they felt cheap so I didn't buy them and got Le Chameau wellies instead. As you say you'd use wellies a good bit seems like an opportunity to treat yourself to some nice ones. Or some lovely country boots, also a good shout.

I feel that wellies should be green and personally really wouldn't want to buy coloured wellies - look a little bit townie festival attendee imo. Though I'm sure some people will disagree!!

AnnaChronism Sun 15-May-16 09:09:01

I agree prosecco that I want proper green or maybe brown or black wellies, not coloured ones.
To my mind I'll be wearing a wedding guest dress...with wellies and there's little point in going for something floral and delicate. I might as well embrace the contrast of dress with heavy duty boots.

I already own some country boots, the Toggi style ones. And a few pairs of old, cheap wellies.

So I want something traditional and robust. I'm from a horsey family, although I don't often ride myself so anything I buy has to have a good tread, just in case I'm called upon to sling a leg over a horse. smile

puglife15 Sun 15-May-16 10:28:47

Muck boots are so comfy, not try hard either, and are not knee length. Heavy though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now