Hunter wellies

(26 Posts)
Jungfraujoch Wed 11-May-16 14:34:30

2 questions!

How generous are they around the calf? I see some of them have an adjustable strap but is the top actually open Ifykwim?

Also, any good online bargains to be found?
Thank you.

Wolfiefan Wed 11-May-16 14:35:31

I ended up with ariat wellies. Only ones wide enough for me. Or perhaps try a shorter welly?

bunnie1975 Wed 11-May-16 14:36:34

You can get wide fit Hunters, but they aren't made how they used to be, they split pretty easily.
Depends what you want them for?

Statelychangers Wed 11-May-16 14:37:20

Hunters are really rubbish - are you sure you want to spend that much on a pair that will in all likelihood leak within 6 months?

Jungfraujoch Wed 11-May-16 14:46:35

Split?! I thought they were a good brand. Wanted for new doggie walking 🐶😄.

So recommendations please? Want long rather than short.

Will check out ariat too. Thanks.

Statelychangers Wed 11-May-16 15:45:29

Aigles so comfortable, I walk an hour in mine everyday - no leg fatigue, warm and waterproof! Good luck with the new dog.

Mrs9C Wed 11-May-16 16:03:51

I find mine so comfortable. I did get them in the Next sale for £45, so I didn't feel it was so bad a risk as spending the £90, as I'd read a few dodgy reviews. They're apparently not so good since the company went into liquidation last decade, and the company that bought them over now produce them abroad as more of a 'fashion accessory'.

WhatsGoingOnEh Wed 11-May-16 16:08:53

I have a barely used pair of glossy black, long Hunters in a size 7, if anyone wants to buy them? I bought into the whole "label" thing. They're gorgeous, but I never need to wear wellies...

sweetkitty Wed 11-May-16 16:13:31

Mine lasted 9 months and fell apart.

Joules lasted 6 months

I have now decided to spend £10 on a cheap pair and replace every 6 months

Cakescakescakes Wed 11-May-16 16:15:36

I bought a kids pair for £28 size 4. And they're glittery smile

RoobyTuesday Wed 11-May-16 18:32:23

Brier classics are exactly the same in looks and quality as hunter but are less than half the price (£29.99). I've had a pair of Joules and think they are poor quality for the price. Can't stand all the 'whacky' patterns and colours.

Couldashouldawoulda Wed 11-May-16 21:09:43

Aigle or Le Chameau instead! Much better. I got fed up of Hunters falling apart.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 11-May-16 21:13:31

I've just looked at dh's and I wouldn't say they are generous at all.

WalkerBait Wed 11-May-16 21:14:58

I have a kids size small feet mine have lasted 2 years now. Farm, rain and my brother used them for a school trip away for a few days. I'm not sure about the adults but I don't have small calf's either. I love them

Mrs9C Wed 11-May-16 22:09:08

I can vouch for Joules wellies being poor quality. I sent for a pair and they arrived with a split in them! Shocking!

JeffFromTheDailyMail Wed 11-May-16 22:13:53

Joules and hunters, no no. If you want a really decent pair of dog walking boots suitable for a wide calf that will last you forever, dubarrys are the way to go. Expensive but oh so worth it

NancyJoan Wed 11-May-16 22:16:38

I've had my Hunters years, they are v comfy, can walk miles in them. They are quite a narrow cut, though.

buntymo Wed 11-May-16 22:27:59

My hunters split and cracked around the ankle areas. I got a pair of aigle parcours and they are very light comfortable and soft too. I end up wearing them most of the day...gardening/dog walking/kids to the school bus stop.

signalred Wed 11-May-16 22:29:42

Had mine for about 8 years , still going strong X

Jungfraujoch Wed 11-May-16 22:30:05

Crikey! Who knew what a minefield buying wellies could be?! Thanks for all recommendations -'I'll check them out.

BeachysSandyFlipFlops Wed 11-May-16 22:48:29

Aigle are nice and generous on the calf too...

Legofriend Wed 11-May-16 22:48:47

Aigle all the way for me. I have the neoprene lined ones and can walk for miles in them.

Ilovewillow Wed 11-May-16 22:52:41

Not particularly generous, I'm 5ft 2 and a size 10 and they are quite a tight fit as they are long in me! The adjustable strap isn't adjustable but have lasted a couple of yrs unlike some seem to have! My DH has Aigle and swears by them!

WizardOfToss Wed 11-May-16 22:55:48

Aigle here too. Worn daily for 3 years, walk miles, still going strong.

Hunters are fashion wellies, if you can imagine such a thing, and are shite.

Mrs9C Wed 11-May-16 23:04:36

Those who say they've had them 8yrs + etc..you likely managed to get them when Hunters were Hunters, and not a company who bought the brand. The original ones were very hard wearing, but no so in the past few years. That said, they are comfortable, just waiting to see how long mine will last me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now