Fitted shorter tops/t-shirts to wear with my skirts - where have they gone?

(51 Posts)
MimsyPimsy Tue 10-May-16 15:44:03

Where can I buy tops/t-shirts to wear with my skirts?

I am looking for something: fitted/clinging rather than loose, about waist length (not crop tops, obviously, as I'm not a teenager), a variety of colours (eg navy, cream, pink etc), and with short or no sleeves or even long sleeves.

I've hunted high and low, but everything is baggy/long. I spent hours hunting on the internet last night, but came up with nothing. I don't care about fashion. Where am I going wrong???

Choughed Tue 10-May-16 16:18:13

I don't know, I am similarly in despair! Can I sit here with you and wait for help?

MimsyPimsy Tue 10-May-16 16:20:41

grin Yes, despair sums it up for me - I've been looking for weeks. The only one I found remotely suitable last night was from M&S... and it was sold out!!!

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 10-May-16 16:39:31

I get basic cotton tops and vests from Tescos. Variety of colours and wash well. smile

MimsyPimsy Tue 10-May-16 16:47:38

I went to Tesco last night... but no short non-baggy tops - only tops to wear with trousers. The vest tops were really long. They did have a short cardigan in a choice of colours - black, cream and a nice orangy/peach colour - but it had no buttons, so I couldn't do it up.

I did say I'd tried everywhere. grin

GoofyIsACow Tue 10-May-16 16:49:20

Bhs, ironically, have every colour under the sun, our local one did yesterday anyway, MIL is having the same dilemma and went in to bulk buy! grin

Short cami tops from M&S. Short cotton cardigans from H&M.

You're right though - nearly everything is long, or else short and boxy.

Hobbs jersey tops are often quite short.

This looks quite nice.

Poly though.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Tue 10-May-16 17:03:05

Tesco tops are not that long on me so I'm guessing you're quite small? What about a petite range for shorter tops? Dorothy Perkins used to do petites.

MimsyPimsy Tue 10-May-16 17:15:22

I looked at BHS. They aren't baggy, they are also too long.
The Hobbs and Phase 8 tops are nice, but they are too long.
The Tesco tops come to below waist length - I'm about 5ft 5 size 10/12.

M&S has nothing short, except this, which is sold out in my size.
www.marksandspencer.com/frill-trim-ribbed-t-shirt/p/p60082066
I'd like a summer version of something this length. grin I had no problem last time I was looking - but that was perhaps three years ago!

Thank you all for your help. I hadn't thought of petite, but that might be worth a try.

MimsyPimsy Tue 10-May-16 17:17:22

Actually, the model in the M&S photo is 5ft 9, so that might be too long on me as well, but that's the length I'd like!

teacher1984 Tue 10-May-16 17:17:37

Topshop has a few!

I need lots aswell, hopefully we can find some!

I think you will deffo need petite, or a crop top - the M&S one you've posted is pretty much crop.

This

rollonthesummer Tue 10-May-16 17:26:15

I agree-I've had to buy tops and take the hem up so I can wear them with skirts. Definitely don't want crop tops but something at the top of my hips!!

££££ though

MsBojangles Tue 10-May-16 17:36:50

I had to resort to Kettlewell for some basics.

gastromum Tue 10-May-16 18:11:29

Looking for help!

I live in jeans, converse and shirts. Am a tad overweight, 5 ft 3, 170lbs - and carry all of my weight around my tum, hips and bum. Unfortunately am not blessed in the chest department to balance it out!

I've got two weddings this year - both with different people and really want to look nice. But I've no idea what to buy to dress my figure - I just look like a round barrel !

Any ideas/advice welcomed! Have a budget of around £150 max.

gastromum Tue 10-May-16 18:12:14

Sorry, thought I was starting my own post. Ignore the above and I'll repost

MimsyPimsy Tue 10-May-16 18:13:08

Thank you for more ideas!

I hadn't thought of Topshop, so I'll pop in there. I've just had a look online, and found the perfect T-shirt... except for the Mickey Mouse. smile But this is what I had in mind in a plain cream maybe.
www.topshop.com/en/tsuk/product/clothing-427/petite-mickey-tee-5334002

I like the Whistles top, but it's a bit too long.

I def want longer than a crop top. I just measured my last older-style t-shirt (from Tesco, in fact, when short was in fashion), and it's 20 inches long and I was thinking around that length.

I like the House of Fraser one, but it's too baggy.

I'd not heard of Kettlewell before. While the t-shirts are too long (23 or 24 inches - I know, I'm too fussy), I will bookmark the site for future reference.

Thank you everyone.

KanyesVest Tue 10-May-16 19:00:14

Have you tried Uniqlo? I haven't looked at what they have in right now, but their length is always good on me, as another shorty

MimsyPimsy Tue 10-May-16 19:32:41

Uniqlo are full of fashionable baggy and/or long grin Nothing fitting and as short as I want...

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Tue 10-May-16 19:46:42

Ime tops that short are usually what young girls wear, definitely not Hobbs/Phase8 customers! Have you looked at the likes of Zara/Mango/New Look? I see young students wearing them all the time, so someone must be selling them. Asos might be worth a try as well.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Tue 10-May-16 19:49:46

Not really fitted, but this would be lovely with a skirt.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Tue 10-May-16 19:54:59

Spotty?

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Tue 10-May-16 19:57:12

This with a vest underneath?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now