Boden Casual Jersey Dress - wdyt?

(25 Posts)
readingrainbow Mon 09-May-16 21:05:13

I picked one up from a charity shop last summer and have worn it a lot. I'm thinking about buying a few more for this summer so I can rotate through dresses rather than shorts (horror) or skirts and tops.

Has anyone bought the newest versions this year? Are they good quality? My charity shop dress is heavy weight jersey and hasn't pilled at all. I'm not particularly delicate with it, either, and the only issue is a small hole in the fabric that will eventually enlarge so I need something decent to replace!

The only thing I would say against them is the ruching in the front is very maternity-esque but since I am pregnant I'm thinking of sizing up one and getting the long versions to see me through the summer! (due at end of the year)

taybert Mon 09-May-16 21:07:44

I have literally just posted on another thread that I was wearing this dress today and someone asked when the baby is due. I am well not pregnant. I'm also not abdominally obese. It's going in the bin!

readingrainbow Mon 09-May-16 21:11:17

Yikes. Send it to me! (only joking a bit)

It really isn't the best cut overall, is it.

MrsLettuce Mon 09-May-16 21:14:37

Well, logically what flatters one person won't necessarily flater everyone smile

Is it this one? (which happens to be in the sale) A couple of the patterns are dreadful but it looks like a good little basic dress. Just go for it!

MrsLettuce Mon 09-May-16 21:16:48

x post. Nowt wrong with the cut, it's not exciting but fine for a day to day thing. If the cut works for you then it works for you.

readingrainbow Mon 09-May-16 21:19:59

Yes, I'm not concerned about looking pregnant this summer, really. I shall likely feel differently next summer!

I was just wondering if the quality has remained the same - I know this style has been available with Boden for a few years now.

CharlieSierra Mon 09-May-16 21:20:51

I'm wearing a boden jersey dress for work today which must be on it's 5th summer and it could be new. It's not that one though, I don't think that one is flattering, and it's too low if you're not flat chested. The ruched ones look like they might be good, that's the sort I normally go for, in plain colours.

taybert Mon 09-May-16 21:21:35

To be fair I wore it all last summer and no-one ever mistook me for a pregnant person. I think the issue weirdly is that I've lost some weight so there's more loose fabric around the tummy, it was actually better when I filled it a bit more. The answer is clearly that I need more clothes. I liked it prior to today.
Also, if you actually are pregnant then it's ok!

taybert Mon 09-May-16 21:22:18

Sorry for derailing with my tale of woe!

readingrainbow Mon 09-May-16 21:25:18

Haha, no worries, taybert. Get out there and buy some new clothes, is my advice!

Stopyourhavering Mon 09-May-16 21:35:37

I've got 3 of these dresses...im a busty size 16 so have to wear a camisole underneath, but I love them...very reasonable price, wash well and great for work

OhtoblazeswithElvira Mon 09-May-16 21:39:23

I bought one last year (black) and it hasn't washed well. The colour has faded and the fabric looks tired sad. Yes it does make me look a little bit pregnant but it's OK for day to day.

Frostycake Mon 09-May-16 21:52:19

I bought this in blue and black last year - I call them my maternity dresses as they do billiw at the front!

They wash beautifully though - great quality. I always feel dowdy in them though.

Frostycake Mon 09-May-16 21:52:57

ffs ... billow not billiw obvs.

Frostycake Mon 09-May-16 21:53:51

I think they are great on pear-shaped figures. On my figure they hide all the good stuff.

airedailleurs Mon 09-May-16 22:00:20

I have a plain navy one and I feel both smart and comfortable when I wear it. I'd never noticed any bulging or billowing. Have washed it many times and no colour fade either. Maybe a size smaller would work better for you?

whiteagle Mon 09-May-16 22:00:37

I too have been asked when the baby was due when wearing mine - mind you i was in the street and the wind had kind of bollowed in- poor neighbour was mortified when i said i wasn't pregnant! Has put me off getting another one though.

JosephinesBornApart Mon 09-May-16 22:08:20

I gave mine to charity or sold it on ebay- can't remember. I am old and felt it was too frumpy for me. It was plain navy. I also found it very hot. It's cotton and elastane but felt hot and clammy on a hot day.

PedantPending Mon 09-May-16 22:11:50

Darn the hole?

polyhymnia Mon 09-May-16 22:12:26

I have 6 of these, bought over last 5 years or so. Some plain, some subtle pattern. It happens to suit my figure very well and I've had many compliments. And they wash and iron like a dream.
So I am a fan - no harm in trying and seeing.

polyhymnia Mon 09-May-16 22:17:19

PS Also don't personally agree on the hot and clammy point - I get overheated very easily, but have worn this dress comfortably on many visits to Rome in summer and also on Morocco.

Indantherene Mon 09-May-16 22:44:27

I 've got a navy one I bought 2 or 3 years ago which fits well and is really comfy to wear. I bought another 2 and found both gape badly at the top, yet they are the same size as the navy.

CreviceImp Mon 09-May-16 23:50:20

I had a black one and it was seriously unflattering on my apple shape. Definitely looked pregnant or had gained a stone all at the front.

Probably would work for a pear though.

CreviceImp Mon 09-May-16 23:53:54

The casual weekend is equally as ghastly in that respect.

Gooseysgirl Tue 10-May-16 06:32:50

I've got this one http://m.boden.co.uk/en-GB/womens-petite-range/dresses/wh978/womens-casual-weekend-dress and so far love it BUT I've just lost over 1st and am a pear, 6m ago I would have looked pregnant in it (am a pear and got the petite size 10), I think with higher waistlines/empire line for me that's always been an issue so I was avoiding them until I lost some weight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now