talk to me about your teeth whitening experience

(21 Posts)
Loulou2kent Sun 08-May-16 20:09:29

Evening all, my sister is getting married in June & we both would love our teeth whitened.

If you have had it done, what were your teeth like? I've got a couple of fillings & there's a bit of plaque at the back I've been trying to shift.

I understand it's going to make my teeth sensitive & a little sore feeling but I'm nervous they will refuse to do them on my teeth. I haven't been dentist in a few years. blush. Mainly as I moved miles away from old one & just haven't registered anywhere new yet!

Could anyone let me know if they did anything to prepare & what the process involved?

Thanks in advance xx

HalfStar Mon 09-May-16 10:11:45

Had it done a couple of times, but not for a few years. I'd love to get it done again soon when I have the money. I also have fillings - I don't think there's necessary any issue with that. Maybe getting a professional clean and polish might give you a better result pre-whitening? I didn't do that though.

I didn't find it particularly painful or sensitive or anything. Afterwards my teeth looked brighter, but just be warned: your teeth are unlikely to look like the teeth of Hollywood celebs (who often have veneers) after whitening. So you may not get that blinding white effect. Most likely you'll just look a bit subtly fresher.

Hope that helps!

Loulou2kent Mon 09-May-16 17:35:03

Hey Half Star,

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm glad to hear that you didn't find it to sore afterwards. My teeth aren't too bad so just a little brighter is fine. I wouldn't want everyone staring too much at them anyway!

Ok I'm definitely going to go for a consultation & see if I'm acceptable haha.

I really hope so !! x

Roomba Mon 09-May-16 17:47:10

My best friend had hers done recently and they look great. She said her teeth were a little bit sensitive, but nothing much to worry about. My sister had her done a couple of years ago and was in so much pain she couldn't sleep and had a week off work dosed up on prescription codeine. So it does vary a lot. I'd go for the consultation and see what they say.

redmimi Mon 09-May-16 21:26:01

I have recently bought these, good reviews and I am happy after a couple of applications.

http://www.rosesbeautystore.com/product/crest-whitestrips-supreme-prefessional-whitening-strip-1-pouch-2-strips/

EssexMummy1234 Mon 09-May-16 21:38:07

I went for the zoom treatment at Drury Lane Dental Care in London and OUCH! for the rest of the day i was in real pain, also the whiteness faded fairly quickly.

I've done the gel kit that a lot of dentists will supply you with and got good results, no sensitivity but quite a faff and plain old uncomfortable.

I've also done the Crest Pro Whitestrips, there a couple of different kinds - these are very popular in America, not sure why they are restricted here. I had equally good results with the whitestrips as i did with the other two treatments, i did get a tiny bit of sensitivity after a few days which went away when i stopped using them.

Cloclomomo Mon 09-May-16 22:05:23

I think you can do either the trays (with gel), or laser whitening (or perhaps both). I have v sensitive teeth so was advised not to do laser. My dentist supplied the kit.

I remember it made my teeth a bit more sensitive (probably just in the short term though). I learnt pretty quickly to be careful and sparing with the application of the gel in the trays as if it leaks onto your gums it is incredibly painful and they go white for a while! I was really happy with the results.

teamjamieson Tue 10-May-16 11:12:44

My wife and I had our teeth whitened for our wedding a few years ago, we went to Smile Tech in Bluewater who did a discounted wedding packge for two people smile

From memory, the dentist explained the procedure to us and performed a free oral exam to see if our teeth were suitable for the treatment. It's my understanding that we wouldn't have been charged if we weren't suitable

During and after the treatment we didn't have any problems with sensitivity... I think they have some special thing they used to stop that from happening

Nksw Tue 10-May-16 12:55:29

I use a product called Plus White Speed Whitening Gel which I get v cheaply in American supermarkets.

I've just checked and it's on eBay for about a tenner.

I use a sports mouth guard as a tray (the boil and bite type) and leave on for 20 minutes once a week to maintain.

It's wonderful stuff, I get very mild sensitivity if I go overboard - when I first used it I was putting it on multiple times a day confused... but nothing compared to the zinging pains I got with crest white strips.

Give it a go. Especially for a tenner!

Stuck a before and after on. The lighting is a bit different but I'm evangelical about this stuff!

MsBojangles Tue 10-May-16 14:03:03

I did mine a few months ago after getting braces removed, had a good clean with the hygienist then got the dentist to take molds of my teeth to make the bleaching trays. Took a good couple of weeks of wearing the trays for a few hours every evening to get the result I wanted. The ouch factor was minimal, to the point where I thought the bleaching gel was out of date!

The take home trays are much better than having the one off laser treatment done at the dentist, I had that done about 12 years ago and the result was disappointing.

I've tried Whitestrips, look on eBay if you fancy trying them. They do work but not as evenly as the custom made trays, obviously - teeth looked a bit streaky. This was also by far the most painful method.

MsBojangles Tue 10-May-16 14:04:40

Your teeth are very pretty, Nksw

Heatherjayne1972 Tue 10-May-16 18:17:41

Please bear In Mind that in the uk it is illegal for anyone to offer whitening unless they are dentally trained and registered with the gdc
Hairdressers and beauticians can and do get prosecuted for this
I'll leave that with you
As you were ....

user1478575999 Tue 08-Nov-16 03:42:40

One of my friends had undergone teeth whitening professionally from a clinic in Calgary. She had used zoom teeth whitening system( www.sierracentre.com/services/cosmetic-services/zoom-teeth-whitening/ ) to whiten her teeth. She told the procedure was not painful and asked me to go for it if I need them. For a long time my teeth have bothered me too. Too yellowed and stained to even smile much. So I am thinking of getting professional teeth whitening done for a faster result.

RosemaryLouise Tue 08-Nov-16 14:01:28

I have just finished a treatment. I had gum shields made and put a clear product in them every night for about a month and it made a big difference to me. BUT It depends what colour your teeth are and actually, bizarrely, the colour of your skin. If you are pale and your teeth are not too yellow it can work well, when they check the colours on their charts, if you are a 3 or a C or more (no idea what that means) it is less likely to be effective.
My staining was more because of drinking tea and of course no wine or coffee/tea etc while you are doing this. If the product in the gum shield touches your gums it can create a stinging effect and I stopped for a couple of days when my teeth got sensitive to cold water but that stopped soon. For me it worked but my dentist, who is a friend, was very cautious about saying it just doesn't work on everybody.

Pickled0nions Tue 08-Nov-16 14:04:03

OHHH those zinging sharp pains with crest strips grin they work wonders but do they bloody hurt!

Revealall Tue 08-Nov-16 18:48:11

Ive had the laser whitening you get in the local shopping centre. No real difference.
Also had a group on voucher for a local dentist and had trays made. I think I went a few shades lighter - but people had been commenting on my white teeth anyway. I had only been using pearl drops from the old 99p shop.

whitesklyer Tue 08-Nov-16 19:33:34

Another fan of Crest whitening strips, you can order on line www.whiteningstripsdirect.co.uk. They do a great job, particularly if you like coffee and red wine. Teeth will probably get sensitive after using for a few days but it doesn't last and results are brilliant.

Monkeyfeet12 Tue 08-Nov-16 19:42:37

Your teeth need to be healthy and so do your gums before you start. Whitening does not bleach fillings either amalgam or "white" fillings or crowns. You should only get it done with a dentists advice/recommended product. It does make your teeth temporarily sensitive. And not everyone gets a good result. Visit your dentist and ask.

I did mine, and got a really good result. The sensitivity is painful!

Bertucci Tue 08-Nov-16 19:45:18

My dh (loves coffee and red wine) buys the Crest Strips in the US. His teeth are dazzlingly white.

AgathaMystery Tue 08-Nov-16 20:33:00

Another one here who found the Creat strips sheer agony!

Notagain16 Wed 09-Nov-16 07:41:57

I got the gel via the dentist. It was expensive at first eg the impression and the plastic trays but the gel does make a difference and I have has people commenting on how white my teeth are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now