Can you fake tan over scars?

(21 Posts)
EatShitDerek Fri 06-May-16 19:33:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Madbengalmum Fri 06-May-16 19:34:42

You can see scars through fake tan, not sure if they would stand out more though?

SweetChickadee Fri 06-May-16 19:37:02

Hmm it might. I find the bits of me that tan better (tops of knees, feet) take fake tan better than the other bits that don't tan well naturally.

So you might find if the scars don't tan naturally they might not take fake tan either sad

You might just have to give it a whirl - it might do a lovely job of covering them up like it does for broken veins

EatShitDerek Fri 06-May-16 19:38:49

7to25 Fri 06-May-16 19:39:44

Leg scarring here. Fake tan does not help. I use dermablend and fine tights, but mostly trousers.

CMOTDibbler Fri 06-May-16 19:40:08

It wont reduce their appearance I'm afraid. The Sally Hansen airbrush legs stuff does cover scars, or at least reduce their appearance - I've used it on my arms to reduce how noticable my big surgical scars are in the past

Tanaqui Fri 06-May-16 19:45:04

Ouch Derek, did you have pins put in? I think it does work- have used on my stretch marks- but up close it is more orange than on the rest of my skin.

EatShitDerek Fri 06-May-16 20:03:28

CMOTDibbler Fri 06-May-16 20:19:50

Some people are nobs about scars. Like you I have stitch marks round some of mine (esp as it happens the ones from where the external fixator was), and another one which went keloid and my FIL did the full on 'urrrgghhh thats disgusting' thing. Made me feel great that did. Now I don't give a toss if anyone is upset by them

MrsLettuce Fri 06-May-16 20:22:35

I've had tattooing to cover mine, took a while to fine someone who was up to the job but the results are amazing <helpful>

FarrowandBallAche Fri 06-May-16 20:22:45

Ime it doesn't cover. I've got some pretty bad scars on my legs from a form of dermatitis and if anything it makes them stand out. Sorry :-/

Ifiwasabadger Fri 06-May-16 20:23:40

I walked through a glass door when I was a child and have a large scar on my leg. I was also in a bad car crash and have a scar on my arm.

I am also the queen of fake tan! Not sure what everyone else is using but mine always covers evenly and looks great.

MrsLettuce Fri 06-May-16 20:24:19

Oh, actually, now I think of it there is in fact such a thing as cosmetic tattooing to reduce the appearance of scars. AFAIK it's done with just flesh tones.

EatShitDerek Sat 07-May-16 00:14:07

Ifiwasabadger Sat 07-May-16 07:16:59

Derek, I use a variety...fake bake I love. Recently got into Bondi sands, this is in super drug. Both are quite dark so I usually use these just before the weekend when I know I'm going to the beach. if I just want a day to day medium tan I like the l'oreal dark spray one...it has a weird shape nozzle to evenly spray out.

I can't bear being white so tan a couple of times a week....

EatShitDerek Sat 07-May-16 08:50:57

EatShitDerek Sat 07-May-16 20:42:13

TheSpottedZebra Sat 07-May-16 20:46:58

I'm another for whom fake tan doesn't work on scars. It sort of separates off the shiny scar skin, and makes the colour contrast look more obvious, but also it looks uneven.

I also have a scar on my lip, and lipstick seems not to stick there either.

cocochanel21 Sat 07-May-16 21:03:16

I have a bad scar around my neck. Years ago I used sunbeds and always thought it made it look better. At the hospital for a check up my consultant went mad and told me to stop using them.

I do have spray tans now but it doesn't cover the scar. To be honest I hardly notice the scar now but when I meet somebody for the first time they can't take their eyes off it.

EatShitDerek Sat 07-May-16 21:12:21

EatShitDerek Mon 09-May-16 10:03:41

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now