What do I need for a week in France?

(12 Posts)
BusyBea Tue 03-May-16 16:04:27

Please help! I've lost a bit of weight over the past couple of years and none of my summer clothes fit. Need to start from scratch but finding it pretty overwhelming!

I could do with some sort of list of what you'd take for a week in France in June (Eurocamp but in a chalet type thing in the south, right next to the beach). Don't have a huge budget so I'm thinking mix and match type things, like a couple of plain jersey midi skirts and tees which go with each other and I can accessorise etc. but I'm not sure what else.

I am 25, a size 14 and would consider myself fairly hip and fashionable. I need a pair of sandals but I'm considering getting some navy Saltwaters as a treat as they should last me a while. The only thing I've bought so far is a sun hat hmm

There's no way on earth I'll wear shorts and I don't like skirts above my knee. Also don't do strappy/sleeveless tops at all.

Can anyone help me with what sort of thing I should look for?

MadSprocker Tue 03-May-16 20:20:40

Why not think of a basic colour palette to wear? My one for this summer is navy, cerise, turquoise and white. About five years ago it was navy, red and white. You could have a couple of pairs of navy trousers, a navy or red midi skirt, tops in those colours to mix and match, a navy or red jacket, navy, red or white trainers. I would always have a jumper of some sort, because I am always cold!

DoreenLethal Tue 03-May-16 20:25:44

No way I'd ever wear shorts either.

But went to the Dordogne last summer, and after a couple of days cut off my jeans into shorts, bought one dress and wore that over the top of my shorts for the rest of the holiday. It was 42 degrees and hardly wore any of the actual clothes I took.

BonitaFangita Tue 03-May-16 20:33:55

We went to Cote D'Azure last year and like Doreen said it was very hot!!!
I'd stick with lightweight sundresses or vest/cami tops and skirts and sandals, maybe some lightweight cotton trousers? I don't think you'll need a jumper but it'll come in handy for when you're travelling.

BusyBea Tue 03-May-16 21:38:57

Thanks everyone.

We are going mid-June so I wasn't expecting it to be that hot. Will it be scorching? I bloody hate it when it's too hot! Although I shouldn't really complain.

I've bought my navy sandals and also a navy shirt dress in the sale from New Look, which has sleeves to my elbows but looks nice and light. I've also bought a white relaxed t-shirt with very thin black horizontal stripes, so hopefully they will be ok when they arrive.

I seem to be drawn towards navy, so what other colours would go with that? I really like greys and other neutral type colours. Ideally I'd like plain things that I can dress up or down if I need to.

I've always been rubbish at summer clothes!!

Autumn2014 Tue 03-May-16 22:15:34

I agree with picking a colour palette. My summer clothes are navy, white, coral and pistachio green. I'm a size 14. Last summer I had some navy chinos, 2 midi length skirts (I don't like my knees and they are cool to wear) with all the colours in pattern, various tops in plain colours, navy canvas pumps, coral ballet flats, white sandals, A navy and white sun dress and some cardigans. Sun hat navy and white stripe, Scarf to cover up and some necklaces. Will you need swimwear?

DoreenLethal Tue 03-May-16 23:04:35

We are back there for a fortnight july/aug and no cardigans will be coming this year!

Shorts, cossie, loose dresses.

BusyBea Wed 04-May-16 09:46:09

Yes I need swimwear! That's going to be my biggest hurdle as I absolutely hate my legs and arms. I'm sure I'll be fine once I've got over the initial shock though grin

Thanks everyone for the help. Picking a colour palette is a great idea so that's what I'll be doing. Ideally I'd like things which can see me through the summer here too. I've just remembered I have a pair of next jersey harem pants which are navy blue with a small red floral pattern so they will tie in with the other bits I've bought so far. Feeling a bit less stressed now!

MadSprocker Thu 05-May-16 17:04:34

Lots of colours go with navy. If neutrals are your thing, go for it.

leadrightfoot Thu 05-May-16 20:13:09

I am in the Dordogne it was 36oC on my patio and 42oC in the sun today
Bit of a breeze everyone was in summer garb!
Linen trousers
Skirt
Couple tops
Cotton or linen shirt for shoulder cover
Fill flops or sandals

Colour of your choosing

amarmai Thu 05-May-16 21:53:40

go to the pyjama dept of not cheap make e.g. Nautica/ralph lauren . You will be amazed at the totally day wearable top and bottom outfits you will find at a great price. Mix and match with Ts and shorts from H&M.

BusyBea Thu 05-May-16 22:25:26

Wow I really wasn't expecting it to be so hot!

The dress I ordered arrived today and it's really nice. Perfect length and sleeves just above my elbow. Going to see if I can find it in another colour smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now