Make up - where to start?

(5 Posts)
NotJanine Mon 02-May-16 15:54:20

I want to start wearing a bit of make up, particularly for work and going out, as I'm starting to feel quite blotchy and dull without it (I'm 46).
I've never been good at applying make up, can't be bothered with spending a lot of time or money on it. I also have very sensitive eyes.

Would be grateful for any advice on the basics and suggestions of brands. I'm thinking of some foundation, mascara, maybe a bit of eye shadow and something on my lips (they are quite thin and I tend to feel that lipstick accentuates how thin they are)

2ManySweets Mon 02-May-16 16:02:34

Go get a consultation at Boots. Their No7 make up ladies will give you a reading of what your skin tone is (pinky/olive etc). They will push the products on you do either a) get a comprehensive list of what they suggest and research more affordable alternatives or b) just buy their products.

If you can afford to go for option b. Then you'll have a "capsule wardrobe" of make up you know is flattering and complimentary. It's an investment IMHO.

Plus: they'll be trained in what to recommend for folk with sensitive skin/eyes etc.

Niknak1980 Mon 02-May-16 16:05:15

I don't know if it's in your budget, but if you go to the bobbi brown counter in your local John Lewis etc they're always very helpful and not too pushy re sales. They do complimentary make up lessons that you can book and get good ideas from. You can then either buy something from them or just say you want to see how it goes on your skin and if you're happy you'll come back another time. Another option is probably somewhere like boots no7 counter?

Online you can find a lot of tutorials suggesting make up for all budgets and skin types, Lisa Eldridge is very good and does high end as well as high street make up. I'd suggest going to get someone to match your foundation though first as that's the key part I think. I can never work it out without a bit of help! Have fun! X

chanie44 Mon 02-May-16 16:38:54

I'd go for a tinted moisturiser or sheer foundation if you are new to wearing make up. Agree about getting a colour match. I never buy a foundation then and there. I always ask for a sample and try it in different lights, so see how it looks.

NotJanine Mon 02-May-16 16:51:30

Thanks - sounds like a visit to Boots should be my first step. I am always put off by the amount of make up that the staff wear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now