Dyeing over blonde highlights

(10 Posts)
Fishcake72 Mon 02-May-16 15:19:21

Can it be done without my hair going a mad colour? I am broke and my grey bits are really showing and just wish I could use something in a box rather than a £60 visit to the hairdresser. I have had a couple of hair dye disasters in the past and am really scared - I just want to end up with light brown hair really!

Gatekeeper Mon 02-May-16 15:24:00

I did this with my daughter's hair; I picked a box colour nearest her natural colour ( light to medium brown) and it came out fine.

Fishcake72 Mon 02-May-16 15:35:58

Can you remember what make you used? My natural colour was dark blonde but now just seems mousey

trappedinsuburbia Mon 02-May-16 16:00:03

Avoid chestnut brown, that dyed my bleached hair pink !!
Unless you have ginger undertones (like me) then any blonde as close to the one you already have should be fine.
If your prone to going 'yellow' then stick to ash colours.
It should be good enough to keep you going until you can get to a hairdresser.

DerelictMyBalls Mon 02-May-16 16:04:26

I wouldn't risk it myself: my colleague did this and ended up with a hideous khaki colour.

MrsRonBurgundy Mon 02-May-16 16:08:46

I've done this a few times with no problems. Just avoid ash colours. I always use semi permanent colours too, it washes out quite quickly for the first couple of times though

Fishcake72 Mon 02-May-16 17:26:56

Maybe I should try a wash in, wash our one and see what colour I go.confused

ALaughAMinute Mon 02-May-16 17:30:42

I use box colours to do my roots in between having my highlight done, they are really good these days.

Nice n Easy root touch up is good.

Fishcake72 Mon 02-May-16 17:56:41

I was just looking at the advert for that.

MrsSchadenfreude Mon 02-May-16 18:20:31

I use Nice and Easy root touch up in Dark Blonde or Garnier Nutrisse in Dark Golden Blonde over highlights, and it has looked absolutely fine. Don't go any darker than dark blonde, the light brown is more of a mid brown.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now