Any bright ideas of a dress/tunic top that will fit the bill?

(22 Posts)
grumpmitchell Thu 28-Apr-16 21:40:52

I have only ever lurked on style & beauty threads before but I know some good ideas are dished out on here so I'm hoping that you might be able to help.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a dress or tunic top (to wear with leggings) which is a) a bit dressy (evening wear), b) has sleeves and c) has a V neck?

I'm 5ft 5 and an 18.

I've traveled next and a few other mainstream shops but nothing jumps out at me.

Any bright ideas?

Defenestration Thu 28-Apr-16 21:46:23

In my experience wearing the leggings will dress anything down and make it look less like evening wear. What's the event? Are you absolutely set on leggings?

BigginsforPope Thu 28-Apr-16 21:54:08

Have you looked at any of the shirt dresses that are around this year? Tesco had a lovely grey dress which looked smart.
Dress

neveradullmoment99 Thu 28-Apr-16 22:04:23

Lot of people on here slate whitestuff, but you may find something you like:

tunics and kaftans

MrsLettuce Thu 28-Apr-16 22:06:25

What sort of budget? Also, do you have shoes already - would be handy to know what you have in mind there.Thick footless tights would be better than leggings for evening really, might that work for you?

StickTheDMWhereTheSunDontShine Thu 28-Apr-16 22:09:52

Laura Ashley is often a good bet for something slightly dressy (I'm guessing by the leggings that you're not after dead fancy), but you'll find yourself hostage to the fact that a lot of shops have already decided that it's summer.

neveradullmoment99 Thu 28-Apr-16 22:11:56

skinny jeans or jeggings would look more up to date with a tunic top imo.

Skrewt Thu 28-Apr-16 22:17:40

www.peopletree.co.uk/sale/minna-leaf-dress-in-navy
It says dress but is actually short enough to be a tunic

MrsLettuce Thu 28-Apr-16 22:22:21

I like this but you might not
too rock chick?
Thinking footless tights and (not necessarily high) black heels with both.

MrsLettuce Thu 28-Apr-16 22:37:08

this is a beauty?

this sort of leggings? Would you consider thick tights?

MrsLettuce Thu 28-Apr-16 22:42:44

Last one. not strictly, totally V neck but in the spirit

grumpmitchell Fri 29-Apr-16 05:48:58

Wow thank you. I've just come back on after falling asleep last night. I'll go through these options, thank you.

It's for an awards evening at work (I'm up for an award) but I want to go and actually enjoy myself and I'm more of a leggings person but I'll look at skinnies and footless tights too. Thanks!

Budget, not enormous by can go to £100 if it's a nice top and use shoes etc that I've already got.

grumpmitchell Fri 29-Apr-16 06:39:20

Mrs Lettuce I've just ordered the two from House of Fraser, thanks! Off to find some decent footless tights that don't go baggy and are thick! Thank you!

RaisingSteam Fri 29-Apr-16 12:29:33

Have you looked at Taking Shape. Some of their stuff is a bit far out but they have these fishnet/control leggings that look great with dressy outfits. They also have lots of sheer floaty tunics for layering and chunky silver necklaces etc, it's a nice look if you can carry it off, I have a friend who wears a lot of their stuff and she looks great in it.

MrsLettuce Fri 29-Apr-16 13:06:16

Oh yes, fishnet leggings would be good with the dresses you've ordered, couldn't find them on the Taking Shape site though.

RaisingSteam Fri 29-Apr-16 13:22:08

I guess either these or [http://www.takingshape.com/uk/shadow-mesh-legging.html these]]

MrsLettuce Fri 29-Apr-16 13:32:49

Ah, mesh leggings. For thinner coverage I'd go 40 denier footless tights over mesh - to my mind the seams on leggings lower the tone. I am (possibly) odd though.
Was thinking you meant like actual fishnet tights but then leggings.

MrsLettuce Fri 29-Apr-16 13:36:45

(Back in the day we used to wear thin, flesh toned tights under fishnets for more coverage / evenness)

RaisingSteam Fri 29-Apr-16 13:57:53

They are still quite sheer aren't they?
proper link
I suppose it depends on how much of a feature you make of them and how the proportions work.

Didn't know you could get footless fishnet tights but have now googled!

grumpmitchell Fri 29-Apr-16 22:19:03

Wow thanks, every time I look here there's more interesting stuff to go through. I love the sheer leggings but I fear they are a bit to risqué for me! I'm thinking a nice high-denier pair. But I'm so grateful for you giving me these ideas.

I live in the arse end of nowhere (fanciest shops we've got are next and Matalan) so I a) do all my shopping online and b) have no idea what normal people actually are wearing! My town thinks the wolf fleece is avant garde!

Disabrie22 Fri 29-Apr-16 22:56:01

Look
At Monsoon website - loads on there and a sale on x

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Sat 30-Apr-16 06:26:08

I always do the tunic/legging thing for posh dos, and have some lovely ones from Phase Eight. You have to wade through the Maria-Von-Trapp's-Been-At-The-Curtains-Again prints, but you find some gems. The finest wool (I am in south Italy and have even worn them in June, that's how fine the wool is) which drapes perfectly and lots of silk ones.

I ruined my favourite in the wash though, and with a do coming up in a fortnight, am now going to look through all these suggestions!

PS I often get them from ebay as well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now