Holiday clothes - swimwear/cover ups/day dresses - which should I spent on and which to save on

(11 Posts)
orangeistheonlyfruit Thu 28-Apr-16 12:29:41

Hello everyone this is my first post and I'm very excited to hear your opinions as I really am lost on this one.

I'm going on holiday soon to the canaries. So it will be warm.

I have been swooning over some very expensive swimwear and just wondered if you think it is worth splashing out on swimwear, or to save on that and splurge on something else. I have a variable budget but don't want to regret spending my money on the wrong thing. Once my holiday clothes budget is gone, it's gone!

I need to get summer day wear, swimwear and cover ups. Or coverups that also double as dresses to wear in the evenings?

Also, if anyone has any great summer buys that are flattering and have become a staple I'd love to hear recommendations on those too.

Thanks for any advice! smile

LuckySantangelo1 Thu 28-Apr-16 13:05:56

I'm always happy to go cheap and cheerful with beach cover ups (got a great one in Matalan this year) and tend to spend more on bikinis. Seafolly do some lovely stuff, I am a big fan!

orangeistheonlyfruit Thu 28-Apr-16 13:35:50

Thanks for replying Lucky!

I have got this in my basket that is in the sale and also 2 pairs of haviana flip flips (do i need to pairs of flip flops!)

this one

JJJHeimerSchmidt Thu 28-Apr-16 14:54:44

I am more inclined to spend my budget on swimwear and shoes, but I have big boobs to support (so, need proper bra sizes) and feet that ache if I walk in bad sandals. A nice cover-up/dress, I imagine you could find a bargain on. If you are into UPF rash guards/swimming tees, I think you can save money on these too.

leedy Thu 28-Apr-16 15:06:58

Spend on swimsuit and shoes (like the PP, I both look better in bra-sized swimsuits and have dodgy feet). For beach cover-ups, sun-dresses, etc. I'd just go cheap and cheerful.

orangeistheonlyfruit Thu 28-Apr-16 16:01:58

Thanks JJ and leedy. I'm a bit choosy with swimwear. I've gone right off halter style because I also have biggish boobs and find it uncomfortable to have a tie around my neck like that.

JJJHeimerSchmidt Thu 28-Apr-16 17:14:32

I gave up years ago and get pretty much all of my swimsuits through Bravissimo now. They have a few styles besides halter neck which I've been very happy with, and colors/patterns I've been fine with as well. I might not the very best judge of style though - the things I often wear are things that come up from time to time in S&B Room 101 threads!

JJJHeimerSchmidt Thu 28-Apr-16 17:17:24

If Bravissimo (or the brands they carry) are a bit out of budget, you might be able to save some money by just buying the top half from them, and then getting a cheaper bikini bottom in a coordinating color from a different shop.

leedy Thu 28-Apr-16 17:23:10

Or (I think I mentioned this on another swimwear thread!) you can try one of the discount online bra shops like Belle Lingerie and Lingerie Discount Store - they do past season stock of Bravissimo/department store brands like Freya, Panache, etc. including swimwear. They have their own websites and also sell through Ebay.

orangeistheonlyfruit Thu 28-Apr-16 17:29:46

The thing is JJ the one I like is agent provocateur and it is within budget....but then the rest of my items will have to be more....modestly priced! So it does sound like it is worth the splurge on the swimwear though so it may just be worth doing.

How about the AP suit, then a few cheaper ones, the kaftan I've already ordered, plus the flip flips and then a few cheap colourful bikinis?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 28-Apr-16 20:16:41

I'm off to Tenerife in October so I'm buying pieces now because in October there will be nothing.
I have some cover ups from last year (H&M, Primark)
And a beach dress (M&S)
Beach skirt (Sainsburys)

I have a tankini (Sainsburys) but I need a sunbathing bikini or two, I can't get away with the skimpy no support ones. Going to look in M&S and John Lewis.

We're going to the WaterParks so I need something one-pice and industrial.Don't want any mis-haps on the slides blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now