Can I have shiny managable hair with silicone free shampoo & conditioner?

(18 Posts)
Tigerblue Wed 27-Apr-16 14:40:39

Have used Herbal Essences for years as it's the only one that kept my long fine hair shiny and manageable. However, recently my hair has been looking dull which I suspect is partly due to my age (40s) and the fact I wasn't well for a couple of months.

I tried using Faith in Nature in the hope something more natural may help, but it looked even worse. Can anyone recommend something more natural (ie without silicones or perhaps other baddies) that will leave long fine hair in good condition and looking healthy.

Quickchangeup Wed 27-Apr-16 14:58:33

I use senspa nourishing shampoo and conditioner. I don't think it contain sulphates or nasties. It leaves my hair soft and shiny.

Tigerblue Thu 28-Apr-16 10:23:11

Thanks for your reply. Can you let me know where I can buy it please?

NigelMolesworth Thu 28-Apr-16 10:24:53

I've been using Burts Bees mango shampoo and conditioner for this reason and it's the nicest stuff I've used. You can get it from boots but I get it from Amazon.

AdventuresOfADentist Thu 28-Apr-16 10:26:58

I would also like to know the answer to your question, OP.

botemp Thu 28-Apr-16 10:59:10

I use Cristophe Robin, the Blueberry and Rose range (the Rose is better for fine hair and gives natural volume) which is paraben, silicone, SLS and colorant free. They also do a prickly pear range which is regenerating. My hair looks far better with this than any shampoo/conditioner containing all of the above mentioned, and simply just 'falls' into shape beautifully requiring no extra styling or much help from me aside from a comb through while wet. Despite my trepidation of not cleansing properly after trying some other SLS/Silicone free shampoos this foams up well and leaves hair very clean without it becoming greasy very quickly.

You've mentioned you've been sick OP and I'm assuming haircare was the least of your concerns at the time so perhaps a good cut and a hair treatment is more in order first? There's some good hair masks out there, DIY castor oil treatments are popular too. I had some success with reverse shampooing (deep condition first, if you have the time just on dry hair, cover with a shower cap and a towel wrapped to warm it up a bit for 30-60 mins, for more ordinary days simply condition wet hair first leave for required few minutes and then rinse with shampoo to finish in both instances).

Pisssssedofff Thu 28-Apr-16 11:02:30

I like aveda cowash.... I'm forty and this time last year my hair was like string, thin, straightened, highlighted. I've made a point of just leaving it alone for 12 months, treating it really gently, washing just twice a week and drying naturally .... You wouldn't believe the difference in how thick and shiny it is

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 28-Apr-16 11:03:49

Ime no. I've tried going silicone free a few times and I obviously need it for my hair to look normal grin

mumsnit Thu 28-Apr-16 12:26:19

I like Senspa shampoo as well - it's definitely the best one I've tried. I get it from Waitrose.

poocatcherchampion Thu 28-Apr-16 12:43:47

What flavour faith in nature are we having? There seem to be loads and they all get good reviews!

building2016 Thu 28-Apr-16 13:51:19

Yes, Shea moisture shampoo and conditioners, available on Amazon and poss elsewhere.

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Thu 28-Apr-16 13:53:28

I use tresemme naturals but just use the conditioner no shampoo. It took a good month or two for my hair to get used to it but now it's in pretty good condition

JJJHeimerSchmidt Thu 28-Apr-16 14:22:43

I've had good results with Shea Moisture - it's expensive, but it lasts, and it works. If you are ditching silicones, you may also need to ditch sulfates, which can dry out the hair. I know some Faith in Nature shampoos still contain sulfates, which is why I steer clear of them.

If you do continue with silicone (and possibly sulfate) free ... Also handy: the occasional rinse post-shampoo/pre-conditioner with diluted cloudy apple cider vinegar (I used 1 tbsp vinegar to 1 cup cooled boiled water, put it in a cheap Boots spray bottle and spritzed in shower). I found this did indeed make my hair shiny. No idea if the water actually needs to be that boiled, but the internet said it did, so I followed instructions.

Quickchangeup Thu 28-Apr-16 14:38:31

tigerblue I buy the senspa stuff from waitrose. Also have used organic surge in the past and that was really good too. Bought that online directly.

MyNameIsPrince Thu 28-Apr-16 16:58:29

I think the Green People Vitamin shampoo is the best shampoo ever made.
www.greenpeople.co.uk/clarifying-vitamin-shampoo-200ml

Ktay Thu 28-Apr-16 20:15:11

I like the Dr organics shampoos and conditioners from Holland and Barrett. Shu uemura essence absolue serum is lovely too although some don't rate it.

bookishandblondish Thu 28-Apr-16 21:42:53

If you haven't been well, then really it's cut and then high intake of oily/ iron rich foods. No shampoo/ conditioner will ever replace nutrients. Sorry - I had a traumatic year - break up, house move, and horrendous job. My hair just wasn't me.
I had a very good cut ( several inches) and lived off salmon, steak and avocados - still took a few months to get back to normal.

Tigerblue Fri 29-Apr-16 09:52:20

Thanks everyone. I actually had a cut last week so that's one ticked off the box. Re: diet I like salmon and have actually bought some extra virgin olive oil (high in omega 3) for putting on salads which I eat a lot. Have been reintroducing normal foods into my diet so hopefully this will help as well, as well as taking vitamin tablets.

I'm going to go through all your product suggestions tonight and either order or buy something when I'm out tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now