Swinsuit for apple shape?

(30 Posts)
DelphiniumBlue Sun 24-Apr-16 00:19:05

I'm off on holiday in a month or so, need a nice swimsuit. I'm an 18, and apple shaped only because I've put on so much weight , at 3 stone slimmer would be slightly hourglass. I mention this as I'm bigger boobed than a standard apple. So some sort of draping/tummy control is needed, but don't want anything too thick and hot if possible. However tummy is a floppy disaster area, so some serious disguise needed.
Am also wondering about a skirted suit - there seem to be a lot about but am wondering if it wouldn't be too matronly - am looking for something reasonably glamorous rather than something I would wear at my local pool. The skirted suits used to be worn only by old ladies but I've seen them in shops frequented by"young people" - what do people think? My thighs are not as taut as they once were so could be flattering, but don't want to look like I've given up!
Am happy with patterned or plain, blues/purples/black. Would prefer to spend less than £50, as also need beach cover up, hat etc etc but could go a bit over that for something really nice.
Any suggestions?

GlitteryFluff Sun 24-Apr-16 00:27:20

Watching...

SparkleSoiree Sun 24-Apr-16 00:30:19

I bought a skirted swimsuit for Florida a couple of years back. Size 20 with tummy control but I haven't worn it again because when it's wet the skirt drags down and felt very uncomfortable.

Just gone for a tummy control one with pattern over the front to distract from lumps and bums and more lumps and bumps!

DelphiniumBlue Sun 24-Apr-16 00:33:37

Sparkle, I did wonder if that would be an issue, thanks for the heads up!
What did you buy this time?

DianaT1969 Sun 24-Apr-16 07:32:44

Would you consider a short skirted brief not frumpy IMO - actually quite flirty and feminine. With a bra sized tankini top. This one has ruching to help disguise a belly.
Some people don't like tankins because the say they ride up, personally I love them and feel better than in a suit.
You could search for similar styles on Brastop and Leia sale. I looked on Next and Sansbury's Tu for you, but nothing skirted/swimdresses in your size.
Enjoy the hol!

Middleoftheroad Sun 24-Apr-16 08:15:22

Debenhams every time. I have a few skirted from there but with more modern patterns. Ruched around stomach and control panel support for boobs and my last one was halterneck so I can hoist. Not cheap so wait for a promotion. Im 5ft 2 so buy their tall version which hangs lower. But even though it's grannier my black one is the favourite as nothing hides better than black. I am apple but it's my csection overhang that gets me. Despite all my carefully constructed planning though nothing clings to my pouch like wet costume!

Middleoftheroad Sun 24-Apr-16 08:24:13

This is like mine. They come with straps. I just cant seem to paste url. If you google Debenhams tummy control swimsuit you will find it.

DianaT1969 Sun 24-Apr-16 08:26:01

That's ver nice Middleoftheroad. Is it cupsized? I'm a g cup so stay away from dress size suits - just not enough fabric or support.

DianaT1969 Sun 24-Apr-16 08:27:19

Meant very not ver!
What's the boob support like?

Middleoftheroad Sun 24-Apr-16 08:32:06

They come in dress sizes so 14 16 etc. I have to wear the halterneck with mine (D) and droopy grin I have been known to wear a strapless bra with it (yes I know it sounds awful but ill try anything to look passable) the material is great though. Best tummy control I've found.

DianaT1969 Sun 24-Apr-16 08:43:31

Just realised the link to the cup sized tankini isn't working.
Here it is
https://airymary.com/collections/tankinis/products/black-cup-sized-tankini

DianaT1969 Sun 24-Apr-16 08:57:33

I've never shopped from this store before, but came across this which might be what you're looking for. The print is fresh and 'holidayish'.
Like Debenhams, it is sold in dress sizes, so presumably designed for A-D cup.
Perhaps others have some from here and can advise? The crossover wrap would at least be flattering on the bust.

HelenF35 Sun 24-Apr-16 09:04:40

Debenhams has by far the best range of flattering, decent quality, sensibly priced swimwear. I had that skirted swimsuit a fee years ago when I would have been a size 18/20 and it was lovely. I am also Apple shaped.

HelenF35 Sun 24-Apr-16 09:05:31

I also have larger than average boobs. When I was an 18/20 I was a 38F./FF

DianaT1969 Sun 24-Apr-16 09:12:11

I'm not having much luck with my linking today. This is the 'holidayish' one I mentioned. From Kaleidoscope - one of those catalogue stores.

DianaT1969 Sun 24-Apr-16 09:14:08

One of the reviews said it didn't have enough bust support and was going back. But if you are A-D cup and want some tummy or leg camouflage I think it's pretty.

shewhomustbeEbayed Sun 24-Apr-16 10:41:08

Bravissimo have some nice looking ones in their sale section at present, geared to bigger busted shape.

DianaT1969 Sun 24-Apr-16 10:45:43

Skirted swimsuits on Bravissimo? I can't see any. Can you post link please?

DelphiniumBlue Sun 24-Apr-16 11:51:49

Thanks for all the suggestions, had not thought about tankini option, but that black one is nice. Also liked some of the cossies on the airymary site. Can see that tankinis would be practical.
Maybe need to take a trip to Debenhams!
So, is it agreed that skirtedno longer equals frumpy?

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Sun 24-Apr-16 12:28:39

I think you'd be best of looking for a cup sizes bra first if you have large boobs. Then look for something which a drape or ruching round the tummy area.

I'm in the same boat as you op - trying the disguise the belly before addressing the boobs will mean you will have a saggy cleavage which will always be the focal point when wearing a swimsuit!

DelphiniumBlue Sun 24-Apr-16 12:55:06

Yes,I agree Felicia.
So has anyone seen any costumes to fit the bill? I'm thinking I'll probably need to try a variety on.

anotherbusymum14 Sun 24-Apr-16 13:42:00

Tankinis are good, just look for an option to tie it/connect it to the bottom half when you're in the water (I've had the riding up experience too).

DelphiniumBlue Sun 24-Apr-16 14:32:47

Busymum, thanks for that tip?

reup Sun 24-Apr-16 14:44:15

I bought a really nice sundress style swim suit but I had the exact opposite effect to the poster above. It floated up to form a circle around me. It was really annoying when I was wading through water or just standing in water in it. I don't know what it would have been like actually swimming as I didn't that holiday (I had an arm injury and couldn't get it wet - v annoying a week before holiday)

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Sun 24-Apr-16 17:17:12

They've got good options at Figleaves. A few years ago I ordered about ten different suits and returned 9 of them! I paid on credit card and was quick to return so I wasn't stung by the interest!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now