Age 50 skin care

(21 Posts)
ginorwine Fri 22-Apr-16 14:42:24

I am noticing rapid skin change - no glow , ' melting ' skin effect and big crows feet , tired looking version of me due to all of above !
I'm happy to invest in stuff that works to add
Glow
Reduced tired face
Wrinkles
So .... What can I do ?
I'm sceptical about wrinkle reduction creams ? Can they work ???!!
Have heard of retinoids but don't know what they do and what products hve them in ..
Would go down filler route if needs be ?
Anyone suggest a plan and spefic products and what they actually do please ??
Also can collegen be built in skin as I think it's lost at this age ?
Thanks !!

Eliza22 Fri 22-Apr-16 16:50:05

Vichy LiftActiv Filler ... The one in the blue tube, with a nozzle. Only thing that makes me look less tired in the morning. And I've tried a fair few.

Lots of water. Cut down on sugar ( I can't ). No gin. Or wine. Alcohol is not your friend over 45.

Birdsgottafly Fri 22-Apr-16 22:06:06

Do any of your friends, use someone who does face peels etc?

I'm 48, having peels has given back the 'glow'. I've had to start eating well, cut down on alcohol, stress and exercised, you can't fake good health like you used to.

I'm looking for a good eye cream, other than that, I'm not spending out on products, but I'm layering them. So, a serum, hyaluronic acid, Aldi Caviar Cream and then I'm using a light moisturiser as a base for my foundation.

If you want to spend on fillers, they give good results. I've had them, so do some of my friends. I've just decided that they're too big of a percentage out of my disposable income.

ginorwine Sat 23-Apr-16 08:10:28

No gin or wine !!!?? Eek

Woodhill Sat 23-Apr-16 09:01:59

Watching, at 48 suddenly noticed lines at corners of mouth , depressing.

I try not to drink and eat healthily.

Floisme Sat 23-Apr-16 09:50:28

What works best for my face is a very simple regime: cleanse and moisturise with oil, sunscreen then leave it. My skin turned very sensitive in my 50s which I think was due to the menopause and trying too many 'miracle' creams. So my main advice is not to rush out and buy lots of products and if you do introduce anything new, do it very gradually. It's all snake oil though so I wouldn't bother.

The good news is that you stop worrying about wrinkles because there's too much else going on, particularly sagging. Quite honestly I don't see the point of having any work done because ageing starts to accelerate and even if you did fix one problem, another would pop up in its place. Plus it's not just your face - your whole body is ageing.

Yes to eating well and looking after yourself. I refuse to give up coffee and chocolate but I don't drink alcohol very often and I've never smoked or sunbathed.

I also find it helps to laugh about it, even though I'm vain as fuck.

Eliza22 Sat 23-Apr-16 13:44:18

Floisme you're correct. Every day, I "do" my face. And my hair. But thank god "the rest of it" isn't in show because frankly, all at once (now 54) am ageing. I felt like I was getting away with it for a long time, but menopause IS A BITCH.

For the first time ever, I don't want to do a "hot" holiday in the summer. I don't sunbathe and frankly, WOULD NOT DREAM of getting my kit off now. I could go into the "lose 10lbs....body buff.... good fake tan" mode but, it all seems like putting a plaster on the Titanic.

I...just...can't....seem to motivate myself to do it, this year.

PollyPerky Sat 23-Apr-16 17:11:12

Nothing gets rid of wrinkles except surgery or fillers or cosmetic fillers you use each day.

Daily SPF at least 30 is the way to go to prevent more.

Greengardenpixie Sat 23-Apr-16 19:06:10

I kind of agree with floisme. I feel I am now making the most of a bad job. Its hard to face when you have looked young for long enough and fairly attractive. I feel at 48 I am generally still lucky but my big thing is my neck. Nothing I do changes the way it looks and oh god I have tried. Its crepey and despite having a fairly young looking face, when I look at my neck, I could cry!

JuanPotatoTwo Sun 24-Apr-16 14:28:57

I've just had a course of micro dermabrasion. I can't honestly say I've noticed an improvement but the beautician assures me that good things will happen to my skin long after the treatment has finished hmm. I was hoping my pores would look less noticeable but they look exactly as ever - does anyone know of anything that can help?

What sunscreen do you all use - do you use moisturisers with spf, or specific spf creams?

Floisme Sun 24-Apr-16 14:43:28

Separate spf - I don't think ordinary moisturisers contain enough. I normally use Ultrasun Face (for senstive skin) either factor 30 or 50.

SPF is the only thing I wouldn't go without. I'd even give up on moisturiser first.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sun 24-Apr-16 14:47:36

I think it's all genes.
Look at your mother and you'll see.

I use stuff, I love facial oils and have used one or the other everyday in the last 15 years, I look younger, but I'm sure it's because of my genes, not sure I can take credit for it.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Sun 24-Apr-16 14:48:49

Sorry!
Didn't mean to sound rude, I think that's another thing I inherited.

grin

Wolpertinger Sun 24-Apr-16 14:55:56

Lots of SPF - at least try to prevent further damage.

Things that work long term: retinols, glycolic acid, vit C, niacinamide, possibly peptides, possibly ceramides

Things that work quickly if you use them every day: hyaluronic

What I do when I can be bothered currently is:

Gentle cleanser eg Avene Gentle Cleansing Gel
Acid toner - Paula's Choice 2% BHA (I have oily skin - if yours is dry then you want glycolic or lactic acid instead)
Hylamide Vit C
Cerave moisturiser - has hyaluronic, niacinamide and ceramides
SPF - usually Sunsense (more niacinamide)

In the evening retinol instead of acid toner eg Paula's Choice retinol again or La Roche Posay Redermic R. Vichy Liftactiv has a retinol product as well.

Key to this is I built it all up over months - I only ever changed or added one product at a time and then didn't make another change for 4-6 weeks so I knew my skin was fine with it.

You can make some improvements to wrinkles and sunspots and pores with this but you have to realistic and it takes time. And not everybody can tolerate every product - I appear to have skin made of leather and can tolerate the whole lot but I took a long time over it to make certain.

JuanPotatoTwo Sun 24-Apr-16 14:57:41

Thanks Flo. So would you use spf under some sort of foundation? I thought I knew about skincare routines but there are so many additional extras these days I'm totally flummoxed!

You didn't sound rude Chardonnay smile I agree with you to an extent about genes - my dm has the most beautiful skin - plump, dewy, radiant, unlined etc. She's spent her life in the sun, sleeping in her makeup, drinking alcohol, smoking. Gets it all from my grandma. Unfortunately, I seem to have inherited my df's skin ...

Wolpertinger Sun 24-Apr-16 14:58:14

Forgot - only retinols and acids will build collagen. Prescription tretitinoin or Retin A is far more effective than over the counter retinols but retinols will do a bit.

And if I had the budget and was serious about it, I'd try Niod products which have majored on peptides and get v good reviews but I'm sticking to their cheaper Hylamide line.

JuanPotatoTwo Sun 24-Apr-16 14:59:09

That's a really interest post Wolpertinger, thank you.

ChinUpChestOut Sun 24-Apr-16 15:02:27

I agree with the Vitamin C serum - I use it every day and have done so for the last 3 months, and my skin is definitely 'glowing' in a way that it didn't before. I don't use an expensive one - Lumene (from Finland) - but I do also use it on my neck, decolletage and backs of hands. I also have mesotherapy on my hands - lots of little injections to stimulate rejuvenation. Haven't noticed a big difference with that.

Wolpertinger Sun 24-Apr-16 15:08:17

Definitely treat your neck/cleavage the same as your face - there is no special neck cream, or eye cream come to that.

It's the same sun damage and loss of collagen and elastin there, and on the back of your hands, as on your face.

Floisme Sun 24-Apr-16 15:08:27

Juan yes under foundation. I moisturise first with almond/wheatgerm/avocado oil then go and have a cuppa or something to let it sink in then sunscreen plus, if I'm wearing it, a dab of foundation. My routine is minimalist but I never go without sunscreen - partly vanity and partly health as I burn very easily.

I think genes play their part but I would say eating habits and lifestyle are just as important. In my opinion, skincare products have the least effect of all.

specialsubject Sun 24-Apr-16 16:52:29

that's exactly it. There's no miracle cream, I assure you we would have heard about it.

The ads are all lies - look at the latest hilariously bad one with the ballet dancer. She's a year older than me and looks ten years older. Partly due to ageing heavy makeup and too-dark hair dye, partly due to being slimmer than I am but mostly due to luck, or not. Since advertising standards came in, miracle cream peddlers have real trouble.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now