I've bought decent eye primer & eyeshadow so why does the eyeshadow disappear in a couple of hours?!

(14 Posts)
Trickymoments Thu 21-Apr-16 20:37:38

Eyeshadow has never seemed to last on me so I haven't bothered with it. Recently I had a counter make over & really liked the use of the urban decay naked eyeshadows so I bought a set.

I have dark looking skin on my eyelids so bought Benefit Lemonaid to cover them which looks good when first applied. Then I've been putting the UD eyeshadow on top. Still looks good.
Then I go to work & by lunchtime it's pretty much all gone! Why does this happen? Where does it even go?

I'm fed up as I treated myself to these products spending much more than I normally would & they still don't stay on my eyelids!
Am I doing something wrong?

MustBeThin Thu 21-Apr-16 20:57:16

Hmm, very strange Tricky I am a huge makeup collector/hoarder but I only use Urban Decay eyeshadows/eyeliners so don't really have much experience with other brands eyeshadow but I've never had this problem. I own all of the Naked palettes and almost every singe individual eyeshadow but I've only ever used them with their own primer. Could you have oily eyelids? Not sure where the makeup could be dissaperaing to though. hmm

doublechocchip Thu 21-Apr-16 21:02:54

Do you use face powder?

I have oily eye lids and found that applying a liberal brushing of loose powder over the top of it all when Id finished helps to keep it on for a lot longer although I do my liquid liner and mascara after the powder.

Trickymoments Thu 21-Apr-16 21:46:36

I sometimes use face powder but have never put it on eyelids. Should I put it on over the top of the eyeshadow then? I think my eyelids are a bit oily.

Summer23 Thu 21-Apr-16 22:04:05

Maybe the primer isn't the best for your eyes? I haven't tried the benefit one. I use the Urban Decay eye primer - it does the job. I tried switching to Bobbi Brown for a bit, but found that less effective.

ygritte2 Thu 21-Apr-16 22:15:38

Do you use the UD primer? I bought this recently and was amazed that my eyeshadow lasted 12 hours with no creasing(nothing on the top of the primer apart from shadow).I need something for under the eyes to prevent mascara smudge as I have always had problems with this. Maybe the lemonaid is the problem.

GingerFoxInAT0phat Thu 21-Apr-16 22:20:17

I would try switching primer, have heard good things about the UD one. And also the Mac paint pots - soft ochre.
Then dust either a skin toned eyeshadow or some face powder to set the primer. Then apply shadow as usual.

mrsmugoo Thu 21-Apr-16 22:22:28

Lemonaid isn't designed to stop creasing - it's more of a colour corrector. Definitely switch to the primer potion by urban decay - that works really well.

puglife15 Fri 22-Apr-16 02:01:01

Another vote for UD primer potion - the only thing that gives eye shadow a fighting chance on my oily as hell lids

Moogdroog Fri 22-Apr-16 11:48:37

I have Lemonaid, does nothing to stop my eyeshadow disappearing. UD Primer Potion on the other hand is magic, I have seriously hooded eyes but it's still there, unchanged, when I'm off to bed.

user1460551377 Fri 22-Apr-16 11:55:35

The lemon aid isn't a very good primer.....more of a colour corrected.
Urban decay do a good primer . Try that , make sure you leave it for 5-10 mins after putting on before you apply eyeshadow X

Cakescakescakes Fri 22-Apr-16 12:45:55

Urban decay and Laura mercier eye primers are both good. Go to the counter and ask them to try it on you. Then wear it for the rest of the day before buying. You'll know if it works then before paying for it.

And I think lemon aid is only for colour correction too, not for longevity.

Destinysdaughter Mon 25-Apr-16 17:06:15

I use face powder as I have oily eyelids. It's the only thing that works for me. Tried primers but they didn't make much difference TBH.

BubsAndMoo Mon 25-Apr-16 19:03:10

As others have said lemonaid is lovely for colour correcting but not a great eye primer for longevity. Benefit Air Patrol is good although the packaging is faffy, UD Potion is fab - the original and best really - Too Faced do a good one as well (I think it's called Shadow Insurance).

I also use it right up to the brow and in the under eye area as well before concealer (that was a Wayne Goss tip) to help stop creasing there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now