Is it just me or does anybody else think Muslin cloths are better and gentler than poxy flannels??

(21 Posts)
Indecisivejo Thu 21-Apr-16 09:07:38

Why does everyone rave about a flippin flannel! They irritate my skin much more!

botemp Thu 21-Apr-16 09:27:28

I hate cheap flannels, they're like sandpaper. I have plush 'deluxe' ones (from Primark of all places and they were actually pretty cheapconfused) that are soft and gentle but with continued washing they're nearing sandpaper status sad. Did you get a specific brand of muslins? I have one from Pai which came with the cleanser but that feels like aggressive sandpaper too, I have bamboo ones from Aurelia on the other hand that are lovely and gentle but they don't trap much heat like flannels do which I prefer in winter as the mild abrasiveness helps keep the dryness away.

ephemeralfairy Thu 21-Apr-16 09:51:04

I was going to say the same thing, and ask if anyone could recommend a source to buy decent muslins in bulk (like 10) at a reasonable price?? I've found some on Amazon but have no clue if they're any good.

IPokeBadgers Thu 21-Apr-16 09:59:35

I buy M&S facecloths when there is 20% off....they feel lovely and plush, haven't gone scratchy yet. I can't quite decide if I like muslins or not....

Indecisivejo Thu 21-Apr-16 11:29:24

I got my latest muslins from the body shop but they are £2.50 for ONE!!!

Indecisivejo Thu 21-Apr-16 11:30:20

I like the thinness of muslin as I can feel more what I'm doing if that makes sense

JeopardyMouse Thu 21-Apr-16 11:37:43

Try baby muslins folded and sewn together. I like flannels though - fabric conditioner and tumle drying keeps mine soft.

squoosh Thu 21-Apr-16 11:47:51

Does everyone rave about flannels? All the high end balm cleansers come with a muslin cloth.

Nabootique Thu 21-Apr-16 12:05:41

I suspect they're being thrifty squoosh Emma Hardie comes with a vair poshe flannel though.

I feel like a muslin is more exfoliating, but I'm not sure how. My skin feels smoother than with a flannel. Flannels are less fiddly though, and easier to come by so use them a lot more. I don't find a muslin sufficient for removing a balm cleanser.

hollinhurst84 Thu 21-Apr-16 12:12:45

I like the Ikea flannels in a pack of 10. Thin and soft

biscuitkumquat Thu 21-Apr-16 12:27:15

I tried flannels & muslin cloths, and both were just a bit too harsh for my skin. I now use a Ramer Sponge.

I would completely recommend it, much gentler, but makes light work of my makeup

Nabootique Thu 21-Apr-16 12:36:06

biscuit Please could you link? I keep finding different ones. Is it the baby one? I got a konjac sponge recently and I use that about once a week and really like it.

botemp Thu 21-Apr-16 12:55:38

This just confirms how sensitive my skin is, I wouldn't even dry my hands with the Ikea flannels without them crying out in pain never mind put it anywhere near my face. I'll have a look at the Body Shop ones Jo, I hate that muslins are so much more expensive. I was looking at one and then realised it was £18! It was larger than normal but still, I figure you can buy a few yards of muslin at that price. I want at least a couple since I use a fresh one each day and, was thinking of buying a full set of the Aurelia bamboo ones since I do like those already.

Indecisivejo Thu 21-Apr-16 13:50:12

I'm gonna have a look at the aurelia ones thanks botemp because although I like the body shop ones they are still scratchy I just have to have a very light hand. I'm quite glad they don't hold the heat as hot water seems to upset my skin too, it's a shame as I love hot water but I'm trying to just use warm on my face sad

DerelictMyBalls Thu 21-Apr-16 13:57:57

You can just buy muslin by the metre and hem it, it's much cheaper. Pretty much the cheapest fabric you can buy.

I prefer flannels, though. They hold more water and are less scratchy.

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Thu 21-Apr-16 15:19:44

Flannels are so scratchy compared to muslins. I asked Liz Earle herself, on a MN webchat what it was in her C&P that had made my skin red raw, and we established it was flannels, rather than the C&P.

squoosh Thu 21-Apr-16 15:30:45

Well of course she's not going to blame her own product! grin

Personally I hate Cleanse & Polish, my skin which is normally pretty bomb proof went all dry and spotty when I used it.

And some flannels are scratchy but some aren't, just like some muslins are softer than others. I have a mixture of the two.

midnightmoomoo Thu 21-Apr-16 18:58:51

Jo I have a stash of Liz Earle muslins, you can buy them by themselves (I think) or look on eBay. I'm ok with flannels as long as I'm gentle and they hold the warmth better which I prefer. I do use fabric conditioner and tumble them though so they stay soft.

(How are you getting on with the shampoo?? grin )

hugoagogo Thu 21-Apr-16 21:38:14

Poundworld do packs of fleecy baby washcloths, they stay soft forever.

zoeMORI Mon 05-Sep-16 12:38:26

Personally I really like muslins for washing my face! Flannels are awful, especially after a few uses, when they go dry and more like an exfoliating glove. You can buy quite cheap muslin material, but I really love organic & natural fabrics as I have really sensitive skin. It's quite expensive but lasts longer & you can feel the difference, so in the long run you probably spend less.

VeganCow Mon 05-Sep-16 12:57:28

Muslins dont hold the heat. Defies the purpose of HOT cloth cleanser.
I find flannels are thicker and more exfoliating but not in a scratchy way, which muslin is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now