Styling against your type - longing for a bit of frilly lace!

(19 Posts)
Frostycake Tue 19-Apr-16 11:14:46

I'm a natural classic with dramatic tendencies so am tall with broad shoulders and a serious look about me. Just been looking at the spring/summer collections and feeling a bit sorry for myself really as I know I'll look daft if I attempt a ruffled top or a crocheted dress.

I'm just so tired of plain/straight things. <sigh>

If you're a classic/dramatic type, how do you do feminine?

RickOShay Tue 19-Apr-16 13:28:24

I know what you mean. I am an inverted triangle, with quite a generous bust, and I hanker after architectural shirts, white and ironed, with cool masculine shoes. I have a bit of thing about my feet, I am a size seven, and my shoulders which are broader than my hips, I feel too masculine to ever wear anything that is even vaguely masculine, ie, sweatshirts, round necked t shirts, brogues, shirts, big jewellery, even pjama bottoms. I am not girlie, I wear jeans every day, but I everything I wear is fairly dainty. Notwithstanding, I think that if you fancy a frill or two, then try it, but I understand how hard it is to dress out of yur comfort zone.

Hopefully Tue 19-Apr-16 13:42:47

I know what you mean! I am an inverted triangle, very angular body shape, big hands and feet (Natural Dramatic in HoC speak) and I look like a prize twat in anything even slightly pretty and girly, but I still look at little broderie dresses wistfully occasionally. I know that all I need to do is put one on to make me realise how wrong they are though- instant frumpsville/cross dresser.

Frostycake Tue 19-Apr-16 15:25:01

grin at 'prize twat in anything even slightly pretty and girly... Yes, Hopefully I live in fear of looking like a cross-dresser too.

Yes yes to the broderie dresses. I long for them and have a Pinterest board full of them. I've seen some gorgeous ones online today but with my build and at my age they would just be wrong on so many levels.

RickOShay I am also an inverted triangle with athletes shoulders and size 8 feet <weeps> I had a breast reduction so no longer have that problem to contend with but still have a 'masculine' air about me even with blonde hair and make up. I do the plain linen mix shift dress well and I can do safari style and shorts too and jeans look great to be fair but I'd love to look feminine for once. I'm tired of looking 'smart' if you know what I mean and this year's trends aren't helping.

I'm currently dieting like a demon in an attempt to give myself a touch of the dainty as it's the only way I can think of to look a little more feminine without looking odd.

Let me know if you find anything (clothes/shoes/accessories) which will help with the feminisation.

MadSprocker Tue 19-Apr-16 16:16:37

Instead of a dress, how about a broderie top instead, you don't have to have them too frilly, and they would great with shorts. How about a scarf in your hair. A t shirt with a feminine print, or does that not work either?

Frostycake Tue 19-Apr-16 17:01:00

Funnily enough I've just put a broderie top on my Pinterest 'Wanted' board grin

I don't have the figure for T-shirts sadly as I don't have a waist and dainty arms. I look like a 45 year old builder in a T-shirt grin

RickOShay Tue 19-Apr-16 21:49:32

Frosty, could you wear a broderie top with jeans? I think we are a similar age and size. For example today I wore topshop skinny jeans, cream boxy cotton jumper and fringed ankle boots. I wear miniscule jewellery - one seed pearl tiny diamond ring, and pearl studs. I also like hair stuff, so flowers and pearl diamonte slides, which are feminine without feeling like a twat. I have also got a lace three quarter length sleeve top which I wear with a pale pink vest underneath. I think go for touches of froth rather than all out flake ad feeling like a plonker.

Lucked Tue 19-Apr-16 21:58:22

Frosty we may have a similar build can you post what is successful for you, I make so many mistakes.

I do think if the part nearest the face is plain I can pull off some broderie around the hem of a top. In some respects i think feminine is essential but girly a no-go.

Lucked Tue 19-Apr-16 22:00:39

this might work for me.

RickOShay Tue 19-Apr-16 22:20:17

That is very nice lucky

Frostycake Wed 20-Apr-16 09:05:34

That's lovely Lucked but I'm mindful that both HOC & CMB stylists told me to stay away from small (ditsy) prints and flowers.

I wore an ivory broderie top with light navy skinny jeans last night and I think it looked good. The jeans were enough to take down the broderie and the broderie itself wasn't over the top or in your face. I wore it with pointed flats which have a metal tab on the toe so again, something sharp to counterbalance the broderie.

I'll have a look for some links and post in a bit.

Rick my jewellery is big. I stick to hammered silver rings or straight earrings and big faced watches. Anything dainty looks daft on my dinosaur bones. grin

God it's a chore.

Frostycake Wed 20-Apr-16 09:18:35

OK. I think I've found quite a few that are feminine but not girly. All are suitable for a light/warm skintone. I think colour is key too. I think a navy or a bright colour saves it from being too 'little girl' as well as it gives it 'punch.'

I don't think I could get away with a broderie skirt / shorts though at my age (rapidly heading towards 50). Even though I still have great legs, the mature face just ruins it. grin

Frostycake Wed 20-Apr-16 10:05:10

Of course I really want to waft around Italy wearing this.

Or this.

RickOShay Wed 20-Apr-16 11:44:24

Frosty my petal I was 48 last week I hear you sister, but just wear them. You are not committing a crime. If you fancy a pair of lace shorts I say at this stage of the game bloody get yourself some.

Dowser Wed 20-Apr-16 12:03:40

Wear what you want and enjoy is what I say.

Do you feel they just don't suit you cos you normally don't wear them.

I tried a straight up and down woollen pinafore/ tunic with sleeves underneath.

I couldn't get out of it quick enough. Who was that old woman looking at me from the mirror? I swear I looked 74 not 64! I gave it to my tall, slender cousin.

Sticking to floral dresses thank you. I don't care-if I'm in a style rut. I feel really comfortable in them and feel like myself .

Lucked Wed 20-Apr-16 15:40:56

Frosty where is the second one, white with long sleeves, from?

My colouring does not allow for yellow!

Lucked Wed 20-Apr-16 15:44:40

The print on this Autograph top isn't too small.

Lucked Wed 20-Apr-16 15:47:51

I also quite like RL blouse but more ££ than I am happy to spend

Frostycake Wed 20-Apr-16 16:43:20

Lucked i got it from Pinterest but the link is from here. It may be old but you may find something similar. It's gorgeous isn't it.
www.rosewholesale.com/cheap-online/209_xl/lace-dresses-c50/

Dowser They just don't suit me. The contrast between girly, angelic lace and my athletic, muscley legs and mature face just wouldn't sit well. If I wear shorts, they have to be plain and non-fussy.

Rick I may wear them in the garden but that's it. I have been known to buy things I know won't suit me or don't fit just to look at them and admire them from time to time <madness>

That Ralph Lauren top is gorgeous. I love the Autograph one too but it's a bit TOO feminine for me I think.

Dowser I'm laughing at the pinafore comment as I've had a similar 'moment' where my dear old mother seemed to appear before me in the mirror when I put one of those on. I need to steer clear of being too classic otherwise I just look dowdy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now