Nail art

(13 Posts)
nibblingfingernails Tue 19-Apr-16 10:48:07

DD is quite arty and wants to do nail art - any recommendations on what brushes/dotters and nail pens to use?
Also what about gems?

Thanks

Nabootique Tue 19-Apr-16 10:54:39

Oooh, I love me some nail art! It's actually better to get paint brushes from an art shop than nail art brushes. They are cheaper and you get more of a variety of sizes. Another good thing to pick up in the art shop is a little set of acrylic paints. They are easier to work with than polish and if you put a polish base down, then a top coat, then work with the paint, you can just wash off any mistakes and start again! Must seal with a top coat when done.

Claire's Accessories have nice starter kits with dotters and a couple of brushes in, as well as gems and little stickers. Ebay is another great place for ready made sets with all that in, plus striping tape, etc. Stampers are another fun thing to play with.

nibblingfingernails Tue 19-Apr-16 11:07:46

Don't have a Claire's in my town! Typical.

So you can just use ordinary acrylic paints?? Who would have thought it!!

I did get her some brushes from Poundland yesterday.

Nabootique Tue 19-Apr-16 11:28:53

Ahh, shame. Definitely Ebay then. Lots of lovely sets and cheap as chips:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-Nail-Art-Dotting-Pen-Marbleizing-Paint-Tool-Kit-Set-Manicure-Painting-2-Way-/252005746490?hash=item3aacb6873a:g:EgkAAOSwjVVVirHx

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-Pack-Different-Trendy-Nail-Art-Tip-Wrap-Foils-Set-S232-/380621758553?hash=item589ed32059:g:rsIAAOSwVL1WEwoe

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-24-Pcs-Colors-Nail-Art-Tip-Varnish-Polish-Liner-Brush-Painting-Pen-Kit-Set-/141144652114?hash=item20dce07952:g:dLEAAOxyD9JSCJNf

Yep, just ordinary acrylic paints. I am not great at free hand painting, so it means I can correct if I mess up. You can also gently scrape off the paint in small areas with an orange stick if you don't need to redo the whole thing. There are also nice techniques you can learn with them, like one stroke painting.

nibblingfingernails Tue 19-Apr-16 11:33:04

I saw the nail art tip varnish set on Amazon and that was what me got thinking in the first place.

Thank you

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Tue 19-Apr-16 13:01:31

I love doing nail art. It's very therapeutic.
They have nail art brushes in the Poundland. Oh and they also have gems

Nabootique Tue 19-Apr-16 13:37:28

I will have to have a look in Poundland. We've just got a new one. Mind you, I opened my nail art supplies bag the other night and was astonished at how many brushes I have, and how many other bits that I don't actually use. Having said that, I did just order a new stamper, stamping polish and plates yesterday. If you have collecting/hoarding tendencies it can be a dangerous hobby!

nibblingfingernails Tue 19-Apr-16 14:34:26

Are gems usually self adhesive or would she need glue?

Nabootique Tue 19-Apr-16 14:36:38

Most people tend to use clear polish. They are not self adhesive usually, and nail glue would be more likely to hold, but it is very, very difficult to get off.

nibblingfingernails Tue 19-Apr-16 15:15:02

So if I am asking an obvious question but I really am clueless! When using gems and clear polish - would you place gem on nail then clear polish or would you put gem on wet clear polish?

Nabootique Tue 19-Apr-16 15:40:56

You put the clear polish on (just a dot will do for each gem if not using very many) then put the gem on top. Then top coat on top.

nibblingfingernails Tue 19-Apr-16 15:59:57

Thank you

MyCatWasRightAboutYou Tue 19-Apr-16 16:10:41

If you don't mind a bit of wait for things to arrive, Bornprettystore.com has a lot of inexpensive nail art stuff. Free shipping, too. smile Have used them a few times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now