Rosacea sufferers did you see a doctor?

(14 Posts)
misspym Mon 18-Apr-16 10:43:06

I think I have developed rosacea on my nose. In recent weeks it has become quite red and lumpy and can be itchy.

It doesn't look very nice and is a bit annoying but I'm not sure what to do about it. I've looked online but a lot of advice tends towards seeing a doctor and getting antibiotics.

Is there anything skincare or pharmacy related I could try first?

Thanks

summerroses Mon 18-Apr-16 10:51:17

change skincare products to la roche posay or clinique redness treatment.
wear factor 50 sun screen all year.
look for dietary triggers eg red wine, spicy foods etc.
antibiotics are harsh on your digestive system.
IPL can be administered by a dermatologist or a beautician. Beauticians are cheaper but more cautious, so require more visits.

CalonGoch Mon 18-Apr-16 11:06:34

Skincare can work, but ymmv about which range works on your particular rosacea experience - Avene/La Roche Posay was non-aggravating, but only Paula's Choice BHA lotion combined with azaelic acid gel (finacea cream) prescribed by the GP made significant inroads into the pustules I got. My nuclear option is oxytetracyline antibiotics (and even then, only a certain brand; for some reason, other manufacturers make it worse!) which clear it up overnight and restore my skin to a teenage pearliness, sigh but I try not to take them unless things are really bubonic.

Londonmum1975 Mon 18-Apr-16 15:09:22

Which brand of antibiotics work for you my sister is suffering badly at the moment and nothing seems to be helping?

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 18-Apr-16 16:37:53

I have an appointment this evening for this exact reason.

My skin has been getting redder and redder and while it doesn't feel sensitive, it must be because heavily scented stuff does me no good. I never even considered it to be rosacea until I posted a picture of my naked face on a Facebook page and people said it could be sad I always just thought that red was normal!

I can't deal with it anymore. I've spent a small fortune on skincare and make up, it's only getting worse despite being really vigilant and gentle. It's getting me down.

I spoke to my mum and she had rosacea when she was my age and took antibiotics for years, which I didn't know about. I'll come back and update once I've been this evening.

herbaceous Mon 18-Apr-16 16:58:26

Don't know if anyone's tried this, but I had rosacea on my cheeks until I gave up eating wheat! I'd had digestive problems for years, which also cleared up, but I was surprised that it also affected my face. Some say wheat's inflammatory, which could explain it. If I'm now ever tempted by a cake or sandwich, about a day later I get a little rosacea pustule.

CherryBlossom321 Mon 18-Apr-16 19:05:32

Initially, yes. Got referred to dermatology. Took many different antibiotics, applied numerous topical chemicals. Nothing cleared it up. I ended up with terrible digestive issues and constipation as a result of long-term antibiotic treatment. Worst thing I ever did. I took myself off the dermatology outpatient list. Since then, I have reduced sugar, caffeine and carbs in my diet. Also increased my water intake. Taken steps to ensure I 'go' regularly. And switched to using Clinique redness solutions range. It took me a while to figure out this combination approach and although I'm not cured, my skin is the best it's been in 10 years. Now just mildly rosy and quite smooth, as opposed to angry red and pimply.

LakeFlyPie Mon 18-Apr-16 19:06:54

Avene and LRP didn't help me at all. I had a 2 month course of oral antibiotic from GP which completely settled it down and now use Cetaphil cleanser and moisturiser which keeps things calmish. Some red wines definitely set my redness off but otherwise it's loads better than it was.

Quiero Mon 18-Apr-16 19:19:23

I've tried prescribed and over the counter and the best for me has been dermalex. You can get it in most pharmacies and it's worth shopping around for when deals are on as its not cheap. It is hardly noticeable at all now.

It's a bastard - hope you find something that works for you.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 18-Apr-16 19:45:45

Just got back from the doctors. As luck would have it, she was actually at a rosacea seminar last week.

She has prescribed me azelaic acid 15% gel as she wanted to try topical treatments before antibiotic.

Other options that she told me to look up were doxycycline, ivermectin, brimonidine (cosmetic cover), and metronidazole gel. She told me to have a look on patient.co.uk for some info.

Hope that's helpful!

annielostit Mon 18-Apr-16 20:03:00

I had roasex & lymecycline for mine. Doxycycline didn't touch it.
I don't use any soap or scrubs on my face only sensitive face wipes.
Clinique make up & redness moisturiser are best for me.
Don't have your face directly in the sun.(dermatologist said)
I've not had a breakout for 8 months.

rubybleu Mon 18-Apr-16 20:54:21

I'm going through this at the moment. Saw a dermatologist (privately) who is putting me through allergy patch testing and blood tests for lupus before she sends me away with a rosacea diagnosis. Lupus causes a butterfly rash similar to rosacea.

I've had to delay the patch testing til next week as I'm training for a marathon & you can't exercise/shower properly for 4 days whilst the patches are on so I haven't had diagnosis/treatment yet. I've already tried metrogel (antibiotic gel) & it does nothing for redness, although it does help the little pustules.

FishOn Mon 18-Apr-16 21:01:56

Doxy antibiotics got rid of the massive chin zits, and Clinique anti-redness foundation covers my rosy cheeks.

Hopefully the zits will be gone for a while, been off the anti-bs for a month and so far so good

and yes to staying out the sun - sunscreen and a hat

sensitive and perfume free cleanser and moisturiser

misspym Tue 19-Apr-16 08:44:27

Thanks for the replies. Lots of helpful information!

So far it seems limited to my nose so I think I will try skincare first. I've seen the Dermalex cream that Quiero recommended in my local Boots so I'll try that first.

I'm also going to sort out my diet. Way too much carbs and sugar at the moment so reducing that might help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now