how can i get rid of blackheads?

(27 Posts)
woody2976 Sun 17-Apr-16 19:53:30

ive tried exfoliating scrubs but have now been told not to use them on my dry skin. anything else i can use?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sun 17-Apr-16 20:11:16

There's something similar looking (but I cannot remember and I'm not going to Google) if your skin isn't oily congested.
The treatment for those is lactic or salacyclic acid toner (like Pixi Glow or those Nip/Fab pads)

I bought some LaRoche Posey cream for my DS who has quite sensitive skin.
He uses TeaTree cleansing pads morning and Australian Body Care TeaTree Skin Wash at night.
His skin is looking better but still red. He only has blackheads on his nose if he is sloppy with skincare (like on holiday)

You could try a hot cloth cleanser and muslin cloth to exfoliate?
Liz Earle/Superdrug/Eve Lom/Elemis/ or any creamy cleanser and a muslin cloth?

woody2976 Sun 17-Apr-16 20:25:25

thank you. so liz earle cleanser and muslin cloth? is that online?

Wolpertinger Sun 17-Apr-16 20:32:27

Where are your blackheads? If they are on your nose, and never ever go away, and if you squeeze them out they are back with a little filament in the pore the following day - they are not blackheads but sebaceous filaments.

They are never going to go away as they are normal and the pores on your nose will make new filaments in each pore. However the top of each filament oxidizes and turns dark which makes them look like blackheads.

You can't exfoliate them away with cloths/scrubs as the blackness is inside the pore - you would be just trying to take your skin off.

You need a gentle non-foaming cleanser and then a salicylic acid toner - has to be salicylic as it dissolves in oil so will dissolve in the filament and clear out the black stuff.

Popular options: Clinique Gentle Clarifying Toner, Nip + Fab Dragons Blood pads. Paula's Choice 2% BHA for the most effective.

This way they will look completely invisible.

woody2976 Sun 17-Apr-16 20:45:49

great thank u.

woody2976 Sun 17-Apr-16 20:46:12

they are on nose and cheeks

XiCi Sun 17-Apr-16 20:59:46

Yes you need salicylic acid. I've used Paulas choice and Cosrx blackhead power. If you have dry skin the Cosrx is a gentler form of BHA and is also hydrating which the PC isn't. I haven't found any difference between the two, results wise but the Cosrx is cheaper. I haven't tried the dragons blood but I know people have good results from them and they are always on offer in superdrug or boots.

LumpySpacedPrincess Sun 17-Apr-16 21:01:29

Do this

It works.

SimonLeBonOnAndOn Sun 17-Apr-16 21:05:46

I'd steer clear of Liz Earle, made my skin very congested.
I've been using a Magnitone brush daily and my skin is clear of blackheads and spots after a lifetime of battling them.
I use the First Aid Beauty acid pads to tone.

MrsT2007 Sun 17-Apr-16 21:06:50

I bought a salycylic acid toner and double cleanse and it's definitely helped

Tate15 Sun 17-Apr-16 22:29:22

I've just bought this and used it twice and then skin on my nose has changed dramatically in just a few days!

I was going to buy Bravura but bought this instead. You must moisturise afterwards. I've bought nip+fab dragons blood plumping serum and have applied that afterwards but I will use a body shop aloe mask to wear overnight.

I bought 10% salycic acid strength.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321889206793?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

woody2976 Sun 17-Apr-16 22:31:22

which one MrsT?

am now feeling a bit overwhelmed and not sure what to buy or where to buy it from!

MrsT2007 Sun 17-Apr-16 22:41:54

Ive got the Paula's choice one X

I just bought a wee bottle to try it and it's killed off the outbreak I had so thumbs up here

woody2976 Sun 17-Apr-16 22:50:32

paulas choicr toner and double cleanse? is that online?

MarkRuffaloCrumble Mon 18-Apr-16 00:06:53

Have you tried those charcoal strips? I get a weird sense of satisfaction from seeing all the oily deposits on them when you pull them off! Google images of charcoal nose blackhead strips. <boak> and <yay!>

AdoraBell Mon 18-Apr-16 00:10:58

Place marking for teen DD.

LumpySpacedPrincess Mon 18-Apr-16 06:59:39

Don't do the strips, they can permanently enlarge your pores.

MrsT2007 Mon 18-Apr-16 10:12:13

Double cleansing is two steps

1) oil cleanse. I love Una Brennan's vit c one, in boots. Use hot water and muslin to remove.
2) normal cleanse. I've git the una Brennan rose one. Remove with warm water and my Konjac sponge for gentle exfoliation.
3) toner, Paula's choice. I only use at night.
4) lotion (Hada labo for me, it's like water. Four drops supercharges your moisturiser)
5) moisturiser.

Kennington Mon 18-Apr-16 14:15:45

Agree with Mrs t et al

I use Vichy toner with salicylic acid And double cleanse

However if I stop using spf for a week or so they also go - spf is hell for them so you need to remove it really well

whatevva Mon 18-Apr-16 14:23:04

Try a face mask of dispersible asprin, drip in water to make a paste, add a drop or two of olive oil.

PeacesofAte Mon 18-Apr-16 14:27:23

Spf makes spots worse? So could my spf moisturiser be a problem? I have awful skin!

Kennington Mon 18-Apr-16 14:52:17

All spf are by nature quite water resistant and slightly occlusive.
I find with lower spf of 15 I can get away without getting spots, any higher and I get blackheads etc.....Particularly if I don't remove it really well at the end of the day.
I stay out the sun anyway as I am in an office most of the time so it isn't a problem for me. As I am outside so little during daylight hours I never wear it in the winter and my skin is much happier.

PeacesofAte Mon 18-Apr-16 14:54:29

That's interesting, thank you. Will try giving it up, I'd love if it made a difference.

QueenMolotov Mon 18-Apr-16 14:59:38

Am I the only person here who just squeezes their blackheads? confusedgrin

paap1975 Mon 18-Apr-16 14:59:51

Blackhead strips are fab and they certainly didn't enlarge my pores. In fact, quite the opposite

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now