Calf length dress

(24 Posts)
Orangeanddemons Sun 17-Apr-16 11:42:32

I'm 5 9. Conversation amongst other tall friends reinforces what I think. Calf length dresses are the nicest ones for tall people.

I hate maxis, and the new 'midi' seems to be knee length. I hate knee length and I hate short dresses.

Why is it impossible to find this type of dress?. They used to exist. Is it a cost thing?

I ventured into a US website which came up as an advert . It was full of normal length dresses. Is it just an English thing? I think it is.

Why does the fashion industry think people either want mini dresses or maxi dresses. Or knee length which flatter no one IMO. The proportions look wrong to me in a knee length

<sigh>

YvaineStormhold Sun 17-Apr-16 11:46:44

They're everywhere at the moment.

They're called midi dresses. Zara have loads, Warehouse have them, Next do - honestly, they're all over the high street.

Orangeanddemons Sun 17-Apr-16 11:51:37

I don't find them. I look in all the high street +on line. There's maybe one or two in a shop. The term midi refers to a length in between the ankle and the knee. Yet all knee length dresses are masquerading as midi dresses.

I knw there are some, but I want a wider choice. They are the exception rather than the rule. I have a degree in Fashion, and currently teach History of Fashion. I cannot remember a period of time when mini and knee length dresses have stayed in for so long, with the odd begrudging calf length. The proper midi should be the default dress at the moment I terms of trend cycles, but it's not. And I'm pissed off with itgrin

Orangeanddemons Sun 17-Apr-16 11:53:45

And since when was a midi dress knee length?. The proper term means a length in between maxi and midi. Not feckking knee length.

jimpam Sun 17-Apr-16 12:00:53

Perhaps midi dresses come up knee length on you due to your height? Midi dresses are more like maxi on me because I am a short arse. I have seen longer midi dresses, I got one from gap's petite section last summer but they had them in tall too.

imsorryiasked Sun 17-Apr-16 14:59:18

I'm 5'8" and find East usually come out a good length.

NicknameUsed Sun 17-Apr-16 15:05:38

I agree with Orange that the fashionistas seem to misunderstand what midi is. I was a teenager in the 1970s and we all wore midi length skirts. And they were calf length not knee length. I look at "midi" length clothes online and they are all clearly knee length. They might be midi on someone who is 5', but not on me (5'7") or the models showing the clothes.

Today's "midi" length is a misnomer.

JamieVardysParty Sun 17-Apr-16 15:12:13

Have a look on ASOS Tall section. There's a few there. They also list how tall their models are so you can gauge the length.

I'm the same height as you and got some great basic jersey ones from Topshop last summer. They might bring a similar style in soon.

herecomesthsun Sun 17-Apr-16 16:47:05

I have this in blue and red, it falls below the knee and I am just under 5 ' 9"

NicknameUsed Sun 17-Apr-16 17:38:19

Wow. I really like that dress. First time any Boden product has made me want to buy it.

XiCi Sun 17-Apr-16 18:50:08

I agree that midi dresses and skirts are all over the high St at the moment. I got one calf length for a wedding from asos last week, though Im only 5ft 5, agree asos tall may be a good bet. I saw this Alexa Chung dress in m and s today, it was really nice and long as well. Came down to lower calf on me so would be mid calf for a tall person www.marksandspencer.com/floral-fit-and-flare-tea-dress/p/p60082466?prevPage=plp

Orangeanddemons Sun 17-Apr-16 20:34:40

But Asos is full of polyester or viscose nastiness. As is Warehouse. I just want a plain cotton dress (no print) or jersey as that's too hot to wear in summer.

It doesn't exist!

herecomesthsun Sun 17-Apr-16 20:37:46

Tall people may find however that a supposed maxi dress falls above ankle length, I have on occasion gone for this as I like my ankles.

weirdsister Sun 17-Apr-16 20:40:55

What about hush panel maxi dress?

banivani Sun 17-Apr-16 20:47:23

I agree, they're supposed to be everywhere but they're not. I read s blog recommending petite length maxis as midi dresses, don't know if that's a decent tip or not...

XiCi Sun 17-Apr-16 20:52:10

Could you buy a cotton maxi and get it altered?

ShesAGreatGas Sun 17-Apr-16 20:54:29

They're hard to find, although not impossible.

I'm 5'11 and also prefer just below the knee or calf length dresses and skirts. So much more flattering than the awful knee length/just above on me!

River Island had loads during AW15, but they have disappeared now for SS16 sad. Next's Tall range aren't long enough and are made from horrible, cheap material and terribly ill fitting.

There is a general lack of clothing for tall women, I find. I've been looking for some flattering longer length work trousers for an age. Nothing. Boden 'long' atet long enough. LTS are hideous viscose hobbies. Ditto Next Tall. ASOS and Topshop tall are made for 5'8 and size 8 young 'ins, not 40 yr old, size 12, 6 -ooters sad.

ShesAGreatGas Sun 17-Apr-16 20:55:07

excuse all the typos grin

Kala101 Sat 11-Jun-16 16:19:21

Hi all, I am starting an online clothing store (yet to open) where women can get customized clothing. You can choose whether you want sleeves, how long, the neckline and the length of dress (mini, knee, calf, ankle). Or you can just order the original dress. The clothes will be cut to order and made according to your measurements and height. The standard sizes are also available. Also, I'm only using cotton (98%) with a little stretch in solid colors. This is the kind of problem that I'm trying to address with my store. smile

stringbean Sun 12-Jun-16 21:45:31

How about the Toast Lydia dress here ? I have this stripy one, and it's calf length (I'm just over 5'8), lovely thick cotton - and is now in the sale. Size down though, as they come up big. I have also just ordered this . Again, calf length, nice thick material but again, you need to size down (tried on a M today - usually take a 12 - but ordered a S as the M was too big).

I agree, 'midi' dresses in most shops these days seems to equal knee-length - very hard to find good quality calf-length summer dresses anywhere.

BestIsWest Sun 12-Jun-16 21:53:22

Oh god yes, I used to love skirts and dresses that stopped above the ankle. I have horrible legs but used to have nice ankles once upon a time. I'm also tall and just don't wear dresses any more because they're all too short, even the midis.

DailyFailAteMyFish Mon 13-Jun-16 00:24:03

Uniqlo have some dresses that are mid calf length.

schnubbins Mon 13-Jun-16 09:38:20

There are just too few dresses available for anyone over average height.I am 5ft 10 and can only wear maxi dresses as anything that is knee length on others is practically a long blouse on me plus the waistband sits under my boobs.The same thing for most tops , just cut too short esp if you also have big boobs.Clothes shopping is becoming so frustrating.

Pantsalive Mon 13-Jun-16 13:27:07

Finery have quite a few midi dresses but I'm not sure what their fabrics or sizing are like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now