Work dresses...and the shoes to wear with them

(8 Posts)
IToldYouIWasFreaky Fri 15-Apr-16 14:05:14

I need to re-vamp my work wardrobe and want to wear more dresses. I currently have a couple of wrap style ones that work well with my figure (pear, crap legs, good boobs, size 12 on top, 14 on bottom) but I always struggle with what shoes to wear with them.

I usually wear boots to work (as I have to walk/bus) and change into ballet flats when I get there but my feet are big and wide and ballet flats are not the best look or the most comfortable. And I have the world's worst cankles...hmm

I'd like something with a bit of a heel but not too high or thin, comfortable but not frumpy.

Has anyone seen such a thing? All that sees to be available on the high street are stillettos or totally flat things.

I'd welcome dress suggestions too if possible!

shirkingworking Fri 15-Apr-16 14:28:53

Hello! There are loads of mid-heels around if you can stand a small heel. Hobbs is great if you can afford it. Nicely cut courts that aren't frumpy (although be careful because some of their shoes are!). Or topshop do heeled 'ballerinas' - I feel a bit too old/not trendy enough for them though as the 'granny chic' looks just 'granny' on me...

slug Fri 15-Apr-16 15:19:45

Ruby Shoos do good priced shoes that are good for the wide of hoof and solidly heeled. Look for th emid heel ones.

Hush Puppies cater for the wider foot.

A bit left field, but bear with me. United Nude fold (scroll down the page) in mid heel are comfortable because they are made of elastic and incredibly wearable.

AgathaMystery Fri 15-Apr-16 15:20:37

Clarks do some lovely mock croc patent loafers. They give about an inch of height too.

swimster01 Fri 15-Apr-16 18:57:53

These are the best shoes ever and I'm so pleased Clarks brought them back out again this year ... mine were in a slightly different colour way but they have them in black too which look good

www.clarks.co.uk/p/26115679

swimster01 Fri 15-Apr-16 18:59:51

M&S Insolia are very good.

Also at M&S, I recently bought this dress and it's much better on than in looks in the photo, with added stretch too. Good for a corporate environment

www.marksandspencer.com/jumbo-checked-shift-dress/p/p22443910?prevPage=plp

Misty9 Fri 15-Apr-16 22:40:30

I've got wide ish feet and these are really comfy and flattering. I've got them in dark grey:
www.jonesbootmaker.com/catalog?params=fh_location%3d%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3c%7bcatalog01_ladies%7d%2fpr_trends%3e%7bnewarrivalsall%7d%2fpr_brand%3e%7bgabor%7d%2fpr_color%3e%7bgrey%7d%26fh_user_date%3d20160415%26fh_refview%3dlister%26fh_lister_pos%3d3%26user_time%3d04152338%26fh_sort%3d%2524standard%26fh_user_date%3d20160415%26channel%3dSmartphone%26fh_secondid%3d2618420766

IToldYouIWasFreaky Mon 18-Apr-16 10:04:54

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I really wish I liked loafers as they would be perfect in lots of ways but I have a weird aversion to them....think it's the tassels...hmm Heeled ballerinas would be equally suitable but I think I am too sturdy-legged (and old) to carry them off.

I will check out Hush Puppies and M&S, I think, and I liked the look of some of those Hobbs courts so will go and see what they look like in real life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now