Clueless academic needs style tips

(15 Posts)
toleranceofflop Wed 13-Apr-16 09:50:41

I'm about to return to work and have no idea what to wear. I'm a size 12 but with a flabby tummy. I've found a few skimming tops but would normally wear them with skinny jeans, I could just about get away with that at work but could do with being a bit smarter - especially when teaching.

So any ideas for smarter (but not too smart) trousers - maybe chinos? Where would be a good place to look?

Any ideas in general about how to master the elusive "smart casual" look?

Thanks!

KondoAttitude Wed 13-Apr-16 10:29:39

Are the tops plain-ish? If so, what about adding a jacket or blazer? Add smart shoes, jewellery, good bag, and I don't see what's wrong with that unless your department really frowns on jeans.

Do you get on with dresses or skirts?

Have never managed to find smart-casual trousers I like, so I'm all ears if you find any!

Academia is so flexible dress-wise that I think the key is to wear clothes you are comfortable in rather than worrying too much about conforming.

toleranceofflop Wed 13-Apr-16 13:13:31

Thanks for replying, you are right accessoring might be the best way to go, I will have a look for some nice blazers and necklaces. I do have some dresses but I have quite a lot of laboratory time where legs really need to be covered.

I've just been shopping in a couple of department stores and have found no suitable trousers. I must be completely out of touch because I am thoroughly baffled at the concept of wide bottomed trousers that taper to the calf and "formal" tracksuit bottoms! jeans it is!

Does anyone know of non high street shops that might have anything?

capsium Wed 13-Apr-16 13:23:16

I bought a pair of these the other year. They have worn well and can be worn with smarter or more casual tops/jackets etc. They come in various colours.

www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_120010681295_-1

toleranceofflop Wed 13-Apr-16 13:47:16

Thanks, that looks like a good option

Veterinari Wed 13-Apr-16 13:50:57

Ness do some great blazers
www.ness.co.uk/coats-jackets.html

toleranceofflop Wed 13-Apr-16 14:17:35

Thanks I've never heard of them, they have some lovely stuff

LadyMetroland Wed 13-Apr-16 17:34:13

Zara are great for cheap, basic smart jackets

Wear with dark jeans and a big necklace or scarf

Nice shoes would help too - though I'm clueless about where to find good quality shoes that don't cost a bomb

Gillybobs Wed 13-Apr-16 21:10:11

Gap bi-stretch trousers are amazing, flattering thick cotton and a nice length. size up though, they are a full size too small

iamEarthymama Wed 13-Apr-16 21:19:44

LadyMetroland try eBay, you can get some great bargains.
Also Raw shoes and TKMaxx

frolific Wed 13-Apr-16 22:26:10

Pure Collection do nice quality smart/casual trousers.

Shenanagins Wed 13-Apr-16 22:52:19

Another vote for gap bi stretch trousers! Gap is also good for "preppy" style basics such as chinos and white shirts.

figureofspeech Thu 14-Apr-16 01:04:41

www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/feature_mb/uq/list_s/women/

www.bananarepublic.co.uk/products/womens-work-clothes.jsp

Try uniqlo and banana republic for casual smart workwear. Dorothy Perkins is good for affordable basics aswell as H&M and New Look.

SpiritedLondon Thu 14-Apr-16 16:09:10

I feel like I'm recommending the same shops on every thread. Try 7/8th slim trousers - Boden do the Bistro crop which sits on the ankle ( I don't wear Boden myself but they look pretty good) - you can wear this length with an ankle boot or sandal etc. Nice, fitted T shirt and smart jacket would work for me. Shops to check out for shoes & handbags = & Other Stories. Cool scandi style clothes try Cos and general all round stylishness try Finery. ( all of these brands online)

toleranceofflop Thu 14-Apr-16 16:30:12

Thanks for all the ideas everyone, lots of places I hadn't thought of!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now