What are the rules for wedding guest dresses?

(29 Posts)
LaContessaDiPlump Mon 11-Apr-16 16:59:23

I'm working from a premise of not too formal, not too informal, not too ostentatious, not black and certainly not white. So that narrows it down grin

My real question is: how close to white can you get without it being white? Is floral on a white base ok?

I've included a few here and would appreciate your thoughts on whether they are suitable. For further info: bride and groom are English, wedding is in 4 weeks and in a relatively unusual venue which might mandate wellies.....

LaContessaDiPlump Mon 11-Apr-16 17:00:32

Whoops, attach the photos dumbass hmm

LaContessaDiPlump Mon 11-Apr-16 17:29:11

And another

SnuffleGruntSnorter Mon 11-Apr-16 17:32:06

I'd say either of those are fine to be honest, but I really didn't care that a guest wore a white lacy dress to my wedding. I think it depends on the bride, could you just ask her?

LizzieMacQueen Mon 11-Apr-16 17:35:17

I think either is fine if you pick a block colour to accessorise with.

The first picture is a dress (or very similiar to a dress) I have seen in a few places so might be a popular choice. The second is a bit more unusual.

Herschellmum Mon 11-Apr-16 17:36:33

Both find in my opinion, is that monsoon, I am tempted by one simular (if not that one) myself for a wedding.

LaContessaDiPlump Mon 11-Apr-16 17:43:29

Great! These are from my local Debenhams, I think from the Coast/Phase 8/Debs' own sections.....

And a couple more.

LaContessaDiPlump Mon 11-Apr-16 17:44:14

Bit too green, I know that one's fine!!

RaeSkywalker Mon 11-Apr-16 17:46:19

I love option 1 but I think they're all fine. The 'rules' I try to follow are- not black or white, and if possible not the wedding colours (or you might turn up wearing the same dress as the bridesmaids).

kaymondo Mon 11-Apr-16 17:53:38

I think they're all fine - I'd also go for a coloured jacket/pashmina and accessories to add more colour to make the overall look less white.

LaContessaDiPlump Mon 11-Apr-16 17:53:41

Wonderful, thank you all! I shall update my ideas on appropriate wedding dressery grin

Joinourclub Mon 11-Apr-16 17:55:53

I would go for the green one , but they are all suitable.

Oldraver Mon 11-Apr-16 20:14:00

There is a 'what to wear to a wedding on the Debenhams website and it shows lots of white flowered dresses.....though realisse they have a vested interest

bakeoffcake Mon 11-Apr-16 20:18:25

I love the green one too.

DinosaursRoar Mon 11-Apr-16 20:18:59

If this is a venue where you might need to wear wellies, I'd avoid a too pale coloured dress incase the bottom gets a bit splashed with mud.

Other than that, all are fine.

Stirfrywolly Mon 11-Apr-16 20:23:03

OP, PLEASE tell me where that green dress is from!

I don't see the big issue with gusts wearing white. Honestly. Is someone really going to outdo the bride wearing a casual/smart white frock? I think not hmm if you look better than the bride, you look better than the bride in whatever you wear.

None of those dresses seem the least bit 'white white' to me at all.

Woodhill Mon 11-Apr-16 21:00:22

A lot of the dresses around are similar to the first and everything is floral. I'm to be mother of the bride and my nightmare is someone wearing the same as me.

LaContessaDiPlump Mon 11-Apr-16 21:03:05

The green dress is Phase eight smile I might go for it, although it sounds like I may have company!!

AgathaMystery Mon 11-Apr-16 21:22:19

Phase 8 have some awesome dresses ATM.

MIL wore white to one of my BIL's weddings. shock

VikingLady Mon 11-Apr-16 21:34:36

I think they're all fine, though my Catholic and very superstitious mum would be unhappy about anything green (bad luck).

HermioneWeasley Mon 11-Apr-16 21:36:52

As long as you don't wear one of these, I reckon you're ok

www.google.co.uk/search?q=massive+wedding+dress&client=safari&hl=en-gb&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjXlMLxt4fMAhWBDxQKHYtqC88Q_AUIBygB&biw=1024&bih=672#imgrc=REowkCeK7eW_tM%3A

LaContessaDiPlump Mon 11-Apr-16 21:53:58

<flings "Big'n'blingin" catalogue down>
<sulks>

Glitteryfrog Mon 11-Apr-16 22:32:59

My rules are
Not too white - I have a cream dress with big pink flowers and leaves.
Not too short or tight, it's a wedding not clubbing
Nothing which will get blown up Marilyn Monroe style
Something to cover up - we live in the uk, it will involve hanging around.
Nothing which might make me look like a bridesmaid
Sensible heels - hanging around and probable grass

MamaLazarou Tue 12-Apr-16 13:27:54

What's wrong with wearing black to a wedding? I can't remember the last time I wore anything but black to a wedding. Perhaps I am universally despised behind my back! grin

LaContessaDiPlump Tue 12-Apr-16 13:58:42

I got the impression that it was bad from the number of MIL threads I've read with DILs saying 'And she wore BLACK to our wedding!!' as a irrevocable marker of horridness..... also, black is a bit sombre I think!

Your family and friends clearly think that you are anti-marriage MamaLazarou grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now