Sandals for 13 year old dd with pronating ankles

(12 Posts)
Dancergirl Sun 10-Apr-16 22:14:21

The annual summer search is on to find dd some sandals <sigh>

Her ankles pronate and she has custom made full sole orthotics which fit inside her school shoes and also her Uggs (I know Uggs are terrible for her feet but I figured with the orthotics in, it would minimise the damage).

A few summers ago we found some brilliant wedge sandals from M&S which seemed to have a good effect on her ankles.

Can anyone recommend some sandals which won't be 'too bad' for her feet but she'd still be happy to wear, bearing in mind she's a teenage girl..? What about birkenstocks?

tellmemore1982 Sun 10-Apr-16 22:26:14

Have you tried Geox? They have a wide range and tend to be quite well made and forgiving. You could ask directly through their online customer service for some help, good luck

ouryve Sun 10-Apr-16 22:35:28

Birks are good if they fit her feet - nice bit of arch support in there.

Hush puppies sometimes do, too, but are probably far too middle aged. She might be happier in a trainer-like walking sandal. Crocs are great, if she'll consider them, so long as they're not used for any serious walking around. I wear them around the house - they stop me from falling over!

never those horrible sandals/flipflops that look like a flat bit of card or plywood with some straps on top, though. those things are terrible.

Is t just me who gets an horrible urge to tap people on the shoulder and tell them when they're over-pronating in unsuitable footwear, btw? I'm so used to looking out for it in the boys that I get quite twitchy.

ouryve Sun 10-Apr-16 22:37:23

Look out for some mesh running trainers, too - lovely and cool and the support is completely invisible.

Dancergirl Sun 10-Apr-16 22:58:26

ouryve she'd hate a walking style sandal. She'd like something a bit more pretty.

Dancergirl Sun 10-Apr-16 23:10:15

Don't think she'd go for trainer style either. That's the problem really, she wants pretty girly sandals.

ouryve Sun 10-Apr-16 23:21:23

M&S have a couple of things on their website with moulded soles - a gladiator sandal and some fake birks, which look to be pretty good value at £25. Might be worth trying, if you've managed with their stuff before - returns are easy for a start!

Next also do the fake birks - cheap with easy returns again
www.next.co.uk/g312222s7

Gabor have some really good styles if budget isn't a problem
www.charlesclinkard.co.uk/women-c1/sandals-c4/tomcat-modern-sporty-sandals-p17606

Fly london have a few styles, too, which look potentially reasonably supportive - and they have less of an old lady image.

If she doesn't have knee problems, Fitflop are always worth a look - they do some sporty and some feminine styles.

Not all walking sandals are bulky and completely fugly - I rather like these
www.charlesclinkard.co.uk/women-c1/sandals-c4/terran-lattice-ii-womens-sandals-p23688
Merrell do a few toe post styles, too if she likes those.

Toffeelatteplease Mon 11-Apr-16 02:09:54

Non crocs crocs here

Rainatnight Mon 11-Apr-16 04:07:18

No advice, only sympathy as I have the same problem. (And will be watching with interest for ideas grin)

My only advice on the Birks would be to check that her feet aren't too flat for them (if she has flat feet - these often go with pronating ankles). My feet are v flat, so much so that Birks are actually really painful. I know they're meant to mould to your feet but I learned the expensive way that they only do that so much and don't work for everyone.

Rainatnight Mon 11-Apr-16 04:07:46

Ps I really like those Croc sandals

IWillOnlyEatBeans Mon 11-Apr-16 07:19:36

I wear orthotic insoles. The only sandals I can wear are Birkenstocks. Anything with a flat insole are really uncomfortable.

IWillOnlyEatBeans Mon 11-Apr-16 07:20:17

(I get mine cheap from our local TKMaxx!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now