Can a child wear (clean, new) canvas trainers to a wedding?

(15 Posts)
MissTurnstiles Sun 10-Apr-16 13:44:12

Family wedding in May. Standard English wedding level of formality - i.e. not black tie, but church service, women will all be in skirts and dresses, men in lounge suits.

DD is not quite three and has a blue dress and green cardi from Boden. These shoes are a perfect colour match but I am doubting myself. Are they too casual? Can a toddler even be too casual?

Lucked Sun 10-Apr-16 13:45:37

Yes fine they are lovely.

Wolfiefan Sun 10-Apr-16 13:47:29

A toddler really can't be too casual. I would worry more about keeping the dress clean! Good luck!

insanelycheerful Sun 10-Apr-16 13:47:38

My boys wore new (therefore clean!) doodles canvas pumps to my brother's wedding and looked really smart I thought. So I'd say go for it as I think the rules on formality are a bit different for small children, as long as they don't look scruffy! Cute pumps by the way!

KoalaDownUnder Sun 10-Apr-16 13:48:19

Cute.

For a toddler? Fine.

YesThisIsMe Sun 10-Apr-16 13:49:02

She's three, they'll be fine. Unless your family are utter arses. Yes a toddler can be too casual - if she was wearing a slubby grey T shirt and tracky bottoms then that would be out of place at a wedding - but a pretty dress and cardy with those shoes will be absolutely fine.

sooperdooper Sun 10-Apr-16 13:49:15

Definitely, and she'll get wear out of them afterwards. They're cute & totally fine for a toddler at a wedding

gingercat02 Sun 10-Apr-16 13:50:59

DS was just 7 last summer at my cousin's wedding and wore beige shorts, waistcoat, white shirt and beige canvas shoes. Everyone said how smart but comfy he looked. They are pretty shoes

MissTurnstiles Sun 10-Apr-16 13:51:43

Thanks folks - you are giving me more confidence. I'm usually pretty blasé about these things but I'm slightly less confident when it comes to DH's family.

This is the dress (in blue and white) and this is the cardi (green to match the belt).

Sistersweet Sun 10-Apr-16 13:54:29

Yes of course and combine with frilly socks and ribbons instead of laces

Sistersweet Sun 10-Apr-16 13:56:14

Sorry there aren't laces but maybe add ribbons anyway will look very cute

Boogers Sun 10-Apr-16 14:04:05

H wore black trainers to his cousin's wedding in 1999 (then aged 24 but with a sprained ankle) and he was fine, even as an usher. Seriously, no one will be paying a blind bit of notice to your DD, unless she turns up in a white bouffant dress and tiara, in which case that's just bad form.

almostthirty Sun 10-Apr-16 14:08:19

She is going to look so cute! A great outfit choice!

Wolfiefan Sun 10-Apr-16 14:10:05

That's really cute.

gingercat02 Sun 10-Apr-16 14:15:14

Whole outfit is lovely. She will be gorgeous

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now