Hush but cheaper

(32 Posts)
IAmTheWhoreOfBabylon Sat 09-Apr-16 22:33:41

I got the new Hush catalogue today
There is some gorgeous stuff but more than I can pay for casual type stuff
Where can I buy similar for less?
I guess it mat not be possible as it could be the cut and the fabric that makes it look good
The only item I ever bought looked crap on me so perhaps I am the wrong shape anyway <tries to convince self >

SwedishEdith Sat 09-Apr-16 22:49:12

I bought 3 things recently but sent 2 back - couldn't justify the cost as could get similar in H&M for much less (free, in 1 case as didn't charge me at all!). And lots was polyester.

Greengardenpixie Sat 09-Apr-16 23:44:58

I like hush but agree that it is largely overpriced. Their sales are good though so you should hang on for those. I have bought quite a lot from their winter sale and summer stuff. There are good things and things that are not that well made.
The hush ruched skirt is lovely quality. The fine linen tee is crap quality and no way worth £35. I kept it cause it matches the striped skirt but wouldn't have otherwise. I have a few dresses too. The striped dress with the scoop back is lovely and worth it as is the black long dress with the side split. I would say that they are good for the price. Just recently bought the black blazer. I got vouchers so it didn't cost £65. I am really pleased with it. Think its pretty good value.
Not sure of other shops having similar things. The trick is to buy pieces that you cant really get anywhere else. The blazer I kept because I scoured through a million websites looking for similar and cheaper but couldn't find anything that didn't look like it was the top half of a suit.
If you find any website let me know smile
I haven't ever found anywhere quite like hush.

Floisme Sun 10-Apr-16 11:25:04

If it's any consolation, I've had a few things from Hush and I think they're mostly smoke and mirrors. If they paid half as much attention to quality as they do to their photography they'd be fabulous. As it is, I've found similar things that wash better by rummaging in H&M.

Except the ruched skirt - I agree with Green that's good quality but way too short for me, sadly!

Ughnotagain Sun 10-Apr-16 11:29:52

Is this the ruched skirt you're on about? I was eyeing it up the other day. I really love the top it's styled with too.

Greengardenpixie Sun 10-Apr-16 11:31:46

What height are you flo?
I am 5ft 5 and its a good length. You can pull it down too grin
Just make sure you get a bigger size!!! I usually buy the small in hush but opted for the medium in this.
Agree with the smoke and mirrors.

I have been really disappointed with the quality of some things. I bought a dress a while back and washed it and the stitching really isn't that great [ only noticed it when it was hanging up after washing it] Fortunately, its on the inside.

The stuff seems to come to you very crushed too, especially dresses. Very disappointing if you have spent £65 on a dress.

Saying that, other companies are also poorly made. White stuff sell things for similar prices are really shit, quality wise. The jersey is generally so thin.

Quality wise, you can't fault shops like Toast, Seasalt, Boden. Generally they are beautifully made. However, they are double the price and very often crappy styles!!!!

Greengardenpixie Sun 10-Apr-16 11:33:27

I have that skirt but in this colour:

and with matching top

Greengardenpixie Sun 10-Apr-16 11:36:06

You can try these shops from shopalike:

shopalike

Floisme Sun 10-Apr-16 11:36:37

Yes that looks like the one. It's double layer as well as ruched so very forgiving. I bought it in burgundy which they don't seem to be doing now. But I made the mistake of assuming the model would be 7 foot tall and that would be knee length on me. Wrong!

Greengardenpixie Sun 10-Apr-16 11:37:46

I personally don't think any of them are like hush!!!!

Floisme Sun 10-Apr-16 11:41:03

I'm only 5'3" Green so I was really disappointed! I kept it cos I'm a sucker for a ruched skirt but I have to wear it halfway down my arse and with a long jumper. Maybe I got unlucky with sizing and should have changed it.

Dammit I'm tempted to send for the olive now and size up grin

Cerseirys Sun 10-Apr-16 11:43:35

I had my eye on the Boden rushed skirt but like the look of this one better as it's shorter. What's their sizing like? I'm probably a 14 in skirts in shops like Oasis or Zara but a 12 in M&S or Gap.

Greengardenpixie Sun 10-Apr-16 11:46:29

I have a small and it would fit a true 10 and a small 12 [ but tightly]
I have a medium and it would fit a true 12 [small 14 but tightly]
Buy the large for a 14.

That should give you enough space so its not clinging.

Greengardenpixie Sun 10-Apr-16 11:47:47

I bought the black in a sale and felt it was quite tight. I have the striped one and its a medium [ sized up] and much prefer that fit.

Greengardenpixie Sun 10-Apr-16 11:49:45

I reckon a medium would fit you but you could order both and see what fit you like the best. They are stretchy so both will fit you.
Its free returns grin
No I don't work for them.
Just have a 'thing' atm for their clothes!!!!

Talisin Sun 10-Apr-16 12:17:33

I'm a 12 and have the medium (in olive) which is perfect on me. The small would probably have been just about OK but would have needed very, very no vpl knickers!

IAmTheWhoreOfBabylon Sun 10-Apr-16 16:51:19

Ooh I love that ruched skirt
You people have not helped me not buy anything wink

Cerseirys Sun 10-Apr-16 17:05:30

Actually Talisin, my next question was going to be how VPLish is the ruched skirt? I don't do thongs!

Marzipants Sun 10-Apr-16 17:09:56

Gah! Why did you have to post the link to the ruched skirt?

I spotted these trainers and now I want them, but £145!!!! Bloody hell.

Greengardenpixie Sun 10-Apr-16 17:17:24

I really like those trainers but they are SO expensive. Also love the studded sandals. They are really expensive too. I cant justify adding another pair of shoes to my extensive shoe/boot collection!

Floisme Sun 10-Apr-16 18:48:47

* Cerseirys * I've never worn a thong in my life. It's in pretty thick fabric and double layered so big pants with a high waist do the trick for me!

Lizzylou Sun 10-Apr-16 18:56:13

I love Hush but mainly buy in sales/with offer codes.
Agree about ruched skirt (the Boden one is also good if tall, I am 5ft 9" and only go barelegged in Hush ones on hold) and also black dress with side split. Harems and floaty trousers always good (but come delivered creased!).
I also have a drapey dress from them that I bought a few years ago (they have it this yr, also in red and blue) which is a fabulous cut and fit and still looks brand new.
I never buy the tees/tops as I look matronly in them, they do seem over priced.
Look for codes/discounts and buy bottoms/dresses only is my tip.

Talisin Sun 10-Apr-16 19:15:29

APR1610 gives you 10% off at the moment for anyone who can't resist the skirt (or other stuff).

Cerseirys Sun 10-Apr-16 19:19:51

Ooh thanks, definitely getting the skirt now!

Good to hear that it isn't VPLish. Big pants will always win over thong for me in a VPL battle. It's bad enough when you wear pants that go up your bum so I have no idea how people can wear something that's permanently wedged. there!

Greengardenpixie Sun 10-Apr-16 19:23:00

I would NEVER do a thong EVER!!! They look so uncomfortable. I would just go with VPL!
Tbh, you can get pants now that show no VPL. I have no VPL pants from next.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now