Teeth - invisalign/braces users please (Enamel reduction/teeth "shaving")

(19 Posts)
DisneySmiler Sat 09-Apr-16 14:54:23

I'm considering having some dental work that requires some enamel reduction (shaving of enamel) on front teeth

Frankly, it scares me. I know that generally this is low risk and has good long term results with no problem if done properly. But I am frightened of having enamel removed - in a "once it's gone, it's gone way". I'm most bothered about suddenly hating the look of my teeth and it being too late. Orthdontist tells me it's done very incrementally and is tiny amounts.

Could anyone who has had this done please tell me about your experiences?

andintothefire Sat 09-Apr-16 15:11:59

It is nothing to worry about. They take off a tiny amount and you won't be able to notice any difference. It is only really noticeable when you floss and there is slightly more room between the teeth.

A good orthodontist will do it incrementally, as you say. I only needed two lots of teeth shaving because my braces opened up more room in my mouth quite quickly. I found that my orthodontist was keen to minimise the amount of shaving and seemed very responsible about how much to take off.

ontherightpath Sat 09-Apr-16 15:59:13

I've had it done on my front upper teeth to allow them to move into place with braces. It really is nothing to worry about. I can feel I have more space between my teeth to floss, but I can't actually see any difference, even with a magnifying mirror. The amount taken off is tiny and it doesn't hurt - although it does feel a bit strange when its being done. Also there is no increase in sensitivity.

potap123 Sat 09-Apr-16 16:03:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DisneySmiler Sat 09-Apr-16 16:19:25

Thanks both ontherightpath

but I can't actually see any difference, even with a magnifying mirror

This sounds very reassuring to me - I'm scared of having it done and looking in the mirror and thinking "what happened to MY teeth and MY smile"? (my teeth are a nice shape! the dental work is for alignment).

So you really couldn't see a difference? Do you know how much you had removed?

ontherightpath Sat 09-Apr-16 16:53:45

I honestly cannot see any difference! It felt at the time that he was filing for ages but when I looked in the dentist's mirror I couldn't see any change. It was only a fraction of a millimetre but it has definitely allowed the teeth to move - I can see my teeth are straighter. Its like one of those confusing optical illusions grin

museumum Sat 09-Apr-16 16:59:02

I'm having Invisalign right now. I've had two "stripping" appointments so far. I couldn't see the difference, but it was slightly easier to floss. I'm having 0.5mm removed in each join so that's 0.25mm from each side of each tooth.
My only alternative was fixed braces and tooth extraction!!! I don't fancy giving up two entire teeth so enamel stripping it is.

SunnySeaShore Sat 09-Apr-16 17:19:38

museumum I'm interested to know more....

I have had 2 consultations with 2 different orthodontists. The first was recommended by my then dentist (who I did trust) and he said he wouldn't know how much stripping off (!) was required until the Invisalign came back from the US- he charged me £90 for impressions. I didn't go back partly because I thought I might be moving house and it was a 2- year commitment.

I have changed dentists- again, someone good who has been practising for 40 years - and he said I had too much overcrowding for Invisalign and even with shaving there'dnot be enough space.

He suggested 2 extractions and a fixed brace for 18 months.

I really don't want that! I don't want the pain or the look (I'm a young looking 60)

Interested to know your experience. I hate my teeth- they are overcrowded on my upper jaw and the the non-prominent teeth are set back as well.

museumum Sat 09-Apr-16 17:25:09

Yes. We did proper Invisalign impressions which are more than just normal ones and photos from lots of angles and X-rays. It all got sent off to the US where they make a detailed computer model of your teeth then a plan came back with the aligners and attachments (little blocks stuck to your teeth) and stripping. The orthodontist can then adjust the plan and see the outcome. You go in and discuss it with them. How many aligners (each = 2 weeks) etc.
Eventually you get a computer model of how your teeth should move. But this will be redone about 3/4 of the way through to compare reality with the model and make any adjustments.
It's a bit scary to pay up front but you're paying for the detailed computer model they create of your teeth so really most of the cost is at the beginning.

museumum Sat 09-Apr-16 17:27:10

Also apparently Invisalign isn't going to give me a "perfect" smile. But tbh the computer model looked good enough to me. I don't need perfection, just not obviously wonky.

SunnySeaShore Sat 09-Apr-16 17:32:14

Thank you.
I am in a dilemma because I like my current dental practice. The dentist who looks after my teeth is not the orthodontist - that's someone else in the practice who is retired except for doing this. Do I need a 3rd opinion??

museumum Sat 09-Apr-16 17:35:22

Yes. I'd get a third. Tell them you've got two conflicting already.

DisneySmiler Sat 09-Apr-16 17:50:52

SunnySeaShore - you definitely need to see an orthodontist.

You sound like a similar issue to me - I've now seen 4 orthodontists and each of them gave me varying opinions. I also want no extractions.

I would say that where you say:

again, someone good who has been practising for 40 years

I would be looking for someone with enough experience to be a safe pair of hands but not so long in the tooth professionally (!).

This is because Invisalign, Inman aligners and non-extraction approach are all fairly modern. Extraction v non-extraction tends to be old school v new school - not always but often.

Have you looked into Inman aligners? They can help in some cases of overcrowding - especially if your issue is at the front of the teeth.

SunnySeaShore Sat 09-Apr-16 18:20:55

Thanks. I've read about Inman but for some reason thought they'd not suit me.
Basically it's my 6 front teeth- one side has 3 crossed and the other 3 are set back.

The older orthodontist took about 5 mins to look (while i was waiting to see the dentist who looks after my teeth in the same practice) and after a quick shufty said there was not enough room to use Invisalign even with filing down. He said he'd need 2mm or something and there wasn't that space between my teeth. He is trained in Invisalign so I was left confused.

I found this odd and wondered if the first orthod was just trying to sell me something that wasn't going to work.

Another question I have is- what if you relocate? Can you take your Invisalign treatment with you to another part of the country?

And how does it work if you go to one practice for orthodontal treatment and another for ongoing check ups etc? (both private of course.)

DisneySmiler Sat 09-Apr-16 18:59:35

Look at the upper teeth, complex case on this link - that looks like it has crossed over teeth.

www.inmanalignertraining.com/case-studies.html

No idea about moving around the country/relocation. You'd need to ask.

Also not sure what you mean about "how does it work" if you are going to two practices - presumably you are doing different things at each - ie. hygiene and normal dentist check up at the dentist, and orthodontic treatment at the orthodontist? What do you mean "how does it work?" What is there to "work"?

museumum Sat 09-Apr-16 19:14:35

My orthodontist is just an orthodontist and nothing to do with my dentist.
No idea how you change practise part way through but will you move so far you can't go back for appointments (mine are about every 6-8wks).

SunnySeaShore Sat 09-Apr-16 19:15:38

Thank you Disney.

I meant 'how does it work' purely from a 'diplomatic' point of view. My current dental practice has an orthodontist (who said Invisalign would not work) so I'd feel slightly uncomfortable taking my orthodontal work across the road - literally and metaphorically- when my current practice can in theory offer it to me. If I turn up with a mouthful of aligners they will of course ask where I got them and it would contradict their advice.

SunnySeaShore Sat 09-Apr-16 19:21:10

Thanks for the link to inman.

Mine are worse than the complex case- hers are only crossed at the centre. My 2nd tooth from centre overlaps as well and my 2 incisors are protruding slightly.

The 2nd dentist who looked at me said it was a moderate-severe case. sad
oddly enough when I mention it to people they all say they don't notice but I am very very conscious of it. Apart from the two centre teeth crossing over (slightly) the 2nd tooth from centre does stick out and is at an angle.

potap123 Sun 10-Apr-16 19:04:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now