Highlights no longer covering grey

(20 Posts)
Disabrie22 Fri 08-Apr-16 23:59:38

I've had a mix of blonde, caramel and natural colour through my hair but now I can see the grey even when freshly done - what do I do now?
Do I need a base colour then highlights? What happens when you get to this stage?

Chottie Sun 10-Apr-16 13:48:34

Just bumping this up as I would like the same advice too smile

MamaLazarou Sun 10-Apr-16 14:16:47

The choice is either to accept the grey or have a tint in the non-highlighted bits but then you will get a lovely grey stripe of roots in between salon visits (which is even more ageing than just having grey hair, IMO).

goshhhhhh Sun 10-Apr-16 14:24:03

I'm grey now (45) and have had lots of compliments. Wish I'd done it a couple of years ago.
It does take some time to get your head around it iyswim.

marmaladegranny Sun 10-Apr-16 14:25:31

Hear hear MamaLazarou - but once in this trap how do you get out of it? I have tried letting colour grow out but hated it with an inch of grey/white at the roots but am desperate to get out of the endless cycle of colouring as its not doing my hair any favours.

MrsJayy Sun 10-Apr-16 14:27:23

You need a base colour then highlights or just get an all over dye thats what I do now

MrsJayy Sun 10-Apr-16 14:31:08

I got my hair done on friday and was talking about going grey im thinking about it she says it can take a while and id probably need to start going lighter I have dark hair

Dowser Sun 10-Apr-16 15:03:46

Count me in. Im 64 with lots of brown and now a noticeable bit of grey especially around the temples.

I've noticed that this year sunlight picks up everyone of the grey ( bastards) hairs .i don't want to do all over blonde. I still like just having highlights.

It doesn't help that I wear it in a ponytail with fringe a fair bit of the time ( usually when it's windy...ie often)

I was wondering on a very light ash blonde tint for the grey ( bastards) then have my usual highlights done.

It's going to be like holding back the tide isn't it?

Dowser Sun 10-Apr-16 15:05:00

I don't want to do all over red, black or brown either.

nanetterose Sun 10-Apr-16 15:10:47

If you have highlighted hair it is less of an onslaught to grow it out/go silver/white.
My Mum dyed hers Brown for years, swapped to blonde-y high - lights. Unfortunately it has really messed with her hair. It is a shame (that at 74) she won't consider letting her silver dominate as it would really bring out her brilliant blue eyes.
I'm 44,and not going to touch mine. I have a few strands of silver (here and there). Once you've got used to seeing people in their 30`s 40`s with their natural hair, it becomes tiring to look at bad dye jobs.
I think we are lucky nowadays, there are lots of support groups for those 'brave' enough to colouring.
op l don't think there is any easy route after a certain point. The 'grey' gets harder to disguise & it can get frustrating. You might have a beautiful natural colour (just waiting) that you have no idea about! smile

nanetterose Sun 10-Apr-16 15:11:41

-to stop colouring.

Dowser Sun 10-Apr-16 15:16:26

There's this

www.amazon.co.uk/Cover-Your-Gray-Women-Blonde/dp/B000TC0NG0

But no light blonde shade.

Read Liz jones article. She's ditched her black and gone mid brownish

Dowser Sun 10-Apr-16 15:21:43

If I had dark hair, I'd just use this

www.allure.com/beauty-trends/blogs/daily-beauty-reporter/2011/11/three-easy-ways-to-cover-gray-hair.html

In the easiest section.

ALaughAMinute Sun 10-Apr-16 18:02:21

I used to have blonde highlights on my naturally blonde hair but since my hair has started turning grey I found the only colour that works is the permanent colours you can buy from the chemist. The colour lasts until I have regrowth whereas if I have it highlighted at the hairdressers the colour only lasts a few washes.

So I've found a solution and it's cheap too!

MamaLazarou Sun 10-Apr-16 18:36:29

I went for a few highlights around the grey areas, marmaladegranny, and just went cold Turkey with the tint. It did look a bit pants in the in-between stage, but I had quite a lot lopped off when the grey was 1/3 through, and had a toner over the whole lot to kind of blend it all in together. Now I'm about halfway there. Might go for the big chop soon. Greying hair may age me, but it looks more stylish than that dark hair/grey root combo, IMO.

AwkwardSquad Sun 10-Apr-16 19:13:42

I've got quite a few grey hairs now, but they're interspersed rather than solid, so no roots as such. I've been getting highlights but I stopped a few months ago and now they're all gone and I'm au naturel. I like it. I am the age that I am.

AwkwardSquad Sun 10-Apr-16 19:16:19

Although I totally reserve the right to crazy colour the fuck out if it once I'm fully grey.

Disabrie22 Sun 10-Apr-16 19:16:46

I'm 38 so not ready to go grey yet and naturally dark - my mum isn't very grey even at her age so I think it will take a while to get to that fab natural white look.

Disabrie22 Sun 10-Apr-16 19:17:23

Thanks for all your advice

Greengardenpixie Sun 10-Apr-16 19:20:30

When I had highlights the hairdresser coloured my hair all over with a base colour like brown and then hightlighted on top of that. That is how its done. I stopped doing it cause it was very expensive to maintain. I really loved having the highlights though.
Had enough of dyes and going to henna my hair as soon as I have got my arse in gear to get cling film!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now