I'm sick of looking like Worzel Gummidge & I need help any advice welcomed ..

(12 Posts)
pxmx Fri 08-Apr-16 19:44:46

Hi, my hair is the problem Worzel is like my twin confused
Full story, I have dyed blonde hair that I have decided I am going to change & dye brown because, I think it will be better for my hair to remove the bleach . I dye my hair 3 max 4 times a year so not excessively, I blow dry & straighten it once or twice a month, the rest of the time it's left to dry naturally. It's washed 2/ 3 times a week.
I don't think that I am in any way abusing my hair but it's an awful straw like mess.
It NEVER grows & over the past 3 years it's got shorter & shorter because I have to get it trimmed to get rid of the horrible ends. I don't want really short hair !!!shock
I came off the pill 3 years ago to ttc & it has got worse & worse since then, I have been diagnosed with psos & I think the only thing that was stopping my symptoms (crap fair included) was the pill.
So my question really (& fair play to anyone that read this far!!) is what can I do to improve my hair & ultimately get it to grow ?
Any advice gratefully received grin

MidnightVelvetthe5th Fri 08-Apr-16 19:48:38

Do you see a hairdresser or do you colour and trim yourself? As a first response I'd say get a professional to look at it smile

pxmx Fri 08-Apr-16 19:54:19

Hi midnight thanks for the reply, I always see a hairdresser she has suggested going brown to avoid the bleach which I am going to do. I'm sure she doesn't believe that I'm not straightening it all the time from the amount of breakage I have & the poor condition its in.
She has recommended sold at the salon products which I did try but they were very expensive & honestly made no difference.
It's the lack of growth that's really annoying me, we are at the stage that I think she feels guilty even trimming my hair because she knows herself it won't grow back confused

Euphemia Fri 08-Apr-16 20:02:14

Have you used any of the hair growth shampoos?

pxmx Fri 08-Apr-16 20:12:18

Hi Euph, I haven't because I really haven't heard of one that actually works. If you have a name of one that you think would be worth a shot I am willing to try anything!! I have tended to stick with John Frieda anti frizz shampoo & conditioner because it is the best at taming my cotton will hair.

pxmx Fri 08-Apr-16 20:17:11

I was thinking of trying fibroligy (probably spelt wrong) as I have heard good reviews & I figure whilst it won't help with growth at least my hair will look thicker & healthier.

Tate15 Fri 08-Apr-16 20:22:07

Hair dyes may contain chemicals as well as ammonia. They may affect the condition of your hair.

You can buy vegetable hair dyes. Example here from. Holland & Barrett -

www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/naturtint-hair-colour-5n-light-chestnut-brown-60073371

Euphemia Fri 08-Apr-16 20:22:41

My hairdresser recommended Nioxin for DH - daft bugger hasn't started using it yet as he's too tight to just throw away his current shampoo! So I can't comment on its efficacy! grin

pxmx Fri 08-Apr-16 20:28:32

I'm actually wrong in my last reply. Ihave tried growth shampoo recommend by my salon at great expense, keretse I think it was called & no difference at all if anything I think it dried my hair out more confused

pxmx Fri 08-Apr-16 20:34:16

Thanks Tate I am reluctant to diy as my hair is so crap, but my hairdresser has said that the brown will be much better for my hair & that after the initial change they will use semis to top up so there will be minimal chemicals. Euph I've written that down & will look it up ! Had to laugh at your dh, mine would do exactly the same he washes his full mop of hair with bubble bath is the shampoo bottle doesn't leap into his hand !!!

Pisssssedofff Fri 08-Apr-16 20:56:19

God don't go brown. You're blonde because you like it and it suits you no doubt.
Every time I go to a bloody hairdressers including the one that does my highlights they just I go a "nice rich brown" ie shit coloured.
Work on the condition. Deep conditioner after every wash. Sulphate free shampoo ..., aveda is lovely or even just co wash if you can twice a week max and basically leave it alone ☺️

pxmx Fri 08-Apr-16 21:48:07

I went brown years ago just after my wedding for a complete change everybody loved it. When I went back blonde I was told ah I liked it so much brown, but I just couldn't see myself brown. I'm ready for it now tho because, if nothin else I know that it will at least look healthy even if it is still short & crappy. I will note the aveno tho & cut back too only a twice weekly wash, I am lucky in that respect as my hair doesn't get greasy, the only good point my hair has !!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now