Eye whitening drops anyone?

(11 Posts)
Chicinwellies Fri 08-Apr-16 10:48:52

Although I 'try' to stay hydrated and also take supplements, my eyes are prone to being red, and wondered if anyone else has this and has found any drops that really work?!

YouSay Fri 08-Apr-16 10:53:18

Watching with interest as my eyes are often blood shot for no apparent reason

cheezy Fri 08-Apr-16 11:11:10

there are meant to make your eyes worse, aren't they. If you use them too much.

Chicinwellies Tue 24-May-16 05:51:23

Cheesy no, not as far as I'm aware! Just keen to hear if anyone else has a good recommendation, my eyes are always dry and red, no underlying conditions, and sleep probably would work better than drops !

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Tue 24-May-16 06:32:21

I wear contact lenses and often get very dry and red eyes. I use "lubricating" eye drops that are made up to be a similar composition to tears. I avoid all the "brightening" ones because I am vaguely suspicious of the ingredients. The ones I use do help, but you have to keep them on you and use them 3-4 times throughout the day.

ScienceRocks Tue 24-May-16 07:00:20

Eye whitening drops work by constricting the blood vessels in the eye, so they shrink and appear less blood shot. They are fine for occasional use but shouldn't be used frequently because they reduce blood flow to the front of the eye.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 24-May-16 07:11:53

Have you got dry eyes? I use otc moisturising drops. They feel better afterwards.

are you up to date with eye tests?. That's how I found out I had dry eyes.

VulcanWoman Tue 24-May-16 07:22:07

Best not to mess with your precious eyes.

LMGTFY Tue 24-May-16 07:28:16

Try some artificial tears first before you put anything in with brightening stuff. I had dry eyes after having them lasered and they're fab, I'll try and find a link to the ones without any nasty additives. These I think m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?path=%2Fen%2FBoots-Pharmaceuticals-Dry-Eyes-Single-Dose-Eye-Drops_1431994%2F&unCountry=uk

undersoap Tue 24-May-16 09:58:48

I use the Optrex brightening eye-drops OP, and I love it. Don't use it every day, but probably a few times a week - usually when I'm leaving the house but with minimal make-up, when having brighter eyes can really make a difference.
I really didn't get on with the Superdrug own brand - even just the refreshing ones made my eyes feel really dry and worse than before, so I've stuck to Optrex.

MsBojangles Tue 24-May-16 13:53:55

Visine works but I only use occasionally.

Not sure you can get them over the counter here, I buy them from eBay

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now