Are fascinators a definite no?

(28 Posts)
Ginmakesitallok Thu 07-Apr-16 20:14:22

Got a wedding in a couple of weeks. Dress is a lindy bop one- with petticoat. Not sure what to do with my hair though? Hairband? Fascinator?? Nothing?

AgathaMystery Thu 07-Apr-16 20:35:08

Massive hat. Always!

Ginmakesitallok Thu 07-Apr-16 20:56:37

I have never worn a hat in my life.....

Peppaismyhomegirl Thu 07-Apr-16 20:57:27

I would put a pill box hat with that. Beautiful!

MrsLettuce Thu 07-Apr-16 21:02:43

A pill box hat would be good. A mahoosive hat is always great. Silk dahlias (it is dahlias on the dress isn't it?) in your hair would also be good. Don;t wear a hat unless you actually want to unless the dress code demands it, no good you not feeling comfortable! Is there a dress code?

Peppaismyhomegirl Thu 07-Apr-16 21:10:11

I second only wear a hat is your comfortable with it. You will look uncomfortable if your not confidant in it. How long is your hair? Could you have a Bridget Bardot do?

MrsT2007 Thu 07-Apr-16 21:11:02

Yes pill box style with a bit of net

Ginmakesitallok Thu 07-Apr-16 21:19:06

No dress code. Would something like this work?

Ginmakesitallok Thu 07-Apr-16 21:19:32

Hair is too short to put up.

MrsLettuce Thu 07-Apr-16 21:23:32

Yes, but this might be better. Then you can still have blue for shoes and/or bag if you need to.

AgathaMystery Thu 07-Apr-16 21:24:25

That's cute but it needs a net too!

So wearing a hat is an emotional journey... Lots of people think they don't suit hats. Esp short women like me. What you have to do is leap in with a massive hat or build up to it over 5 or 6 weddings grin getting bigger and bigger fascinates until you are wearing a 4 weddings & a funeral hat!

Ginmakesitallok Thu 07-Apr-16 21:37:10

Mrslettuce that is lovely, but I have a bright green bag which just wouldnt work with it.

MrsLettuce Thu 07-Apr-16 22:06:35

That's a shame! The satin of the accessorize one would be odd with a cotton dress I think. I've not been able to see anything else about in navy that might work. This might do but probably not the right tone or good with your bag.

TBH, usually when on a tight budget and wanting an outfit with hat then one starts with the hat and works down. Hat is hardest, always. Most women do dress next but for me shoes are harder so I do those next, then the dress. Bag last in any case as they are easiest.

Ginmakesitallok Thu 07-Apr-16 22:14:20

Don't think that's the right link?

MrsLettuce Thu 07-Apr-16 22:15:51

No! I couldn't see well enough in your screen shot blush

[here. It might work with the deepest reds in the dress.

MrsLettuce Thu 07-Apr-16 22:16:15

*you'rehmm

MrsLettuce Thu 07-Apr-16 22:17:47

Oh FFS Lettuce. The burgandy version one and I apparently did spot my mistake.

Catanddogmake6 Thu 07-Apr-16 22:28:56

Would any by this lady on Etsy work? She makes them to order in any colour and will send you swatches. She made me one very quickly after my grandmother declared we all had to have hats at a family wedding (having previously decided we weren't wearing hats hmm)

Nettletheelf Thu 07-Apr-16 22:31:49

Don't wear a fascinator. They are such a snore. Everybody has one. I walked through Debenhams today and the fascinator section was besieged by older ladies buying them for weddings and the races.

The pillbox hat will give you a retro look, which is fine if you want to do 1950s pastiche. I'd go for a hair slide or a silk flower myself.

AgathaMystery Thu 07-Apr-16 22:34:33

Could ask a florist to make you a hair clip. I do that sometimes. Happy to PM you a pic (if I can find one)

Catanddogmake6 Thu 07-Apr-16 22:48:38

Just had another look on Etsy. There are people making pillboxes to order as well - in varying price brackets, if that is what you fancy. Might be easiest way to get something to match if you can get a swatch. You also won't end up with someone else wearing the same thing.

Tartyflette Thu 07-Apr-16 22:55:01

Fascinators -- never understood them at all. As far as I can see they are only fascinating to babies and cats.
They are generally not flattering at all unless you are young and beautiful, and if so you'd still be beautfiul in a potato sack.
Get a titfer!

MissTurnstiles Fri 08-Apr-16 00:45:52

catanddog thanks for that etsy link - love those pieces!

Twinklestein Fri 08-Apr-16 01:14:40

Fascinators are so over. Although I like pillboxes, it would be really wrong with that style of dress.

I would wear a 50s diamanté clip.

Ginmakesitallok Fri 08-Apr-16 14:28:03

I got a flower thing - looks daft. Going to go with nothing, it just looks too busy with something in my hair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now