are saltwater sandals as broad as birkenstocks?

(20 Posts)
keeponkeepinon Wed 06-Apr-16 19:53:11

Inspired by an earlier thread, I've been looking at saltwater sandals, they seem so well reviewed I may give them a try. However, I know some say they are broader fitting, as broad as birkenstocks? I can't wear these as they are just far too wide formy feet, and wwouldn't want to order saltwaters if they are going to rattle around!
The other sandals I saw mentioned earlier wete toms zoe sandals, might these be narrower? Same price so its down to recommendation and colour choice I suppose!
Ps what colour for pasty white skin?!

AgathaMystery Wed 06-Apr-16 22:05:12

I don't think they are as wide as Birks.

When you get them there are instructions on how to widen them up but I didn't do that as I have narrow feet. They fit brilliantly but I returned Tham as I am really pale and if ordered the gold. I thought they would be a warm gold but they looked terrible with my skin tone.

keeponkeepinon Wed 06-Apr-16 22:08:25

Thanks agatha, I am really pale too and wondering what colour to go for. I kind of want to go for red though I rarely wear red, but I like a pop of colour on my feet sometimes. I mostly wear denim with corals, khaki, warm blues, purples and pinks so not sure which to go for.

LBOCS2 Wed 06-Apr-16 22:10:10

I found Toms to be very narrow (and I wear Birkenstock slim fits), so you may be better off with those.

Pippidoeswhatshewants Wed 06-Apr-16 22:16:35

Birkenstocks have 2 width fittings, slim ("normal") and wide. I have very narrow feet and the slim Birkenstocks are fine for me.

keeponkeepinon Wed 06-Apr-16 22:48:01

Hmm I wonder if I tried wide birkenstocks without realising? It was years ago in schuh and I just remember thinking I'll never be able to wear birkenstocks. I don't think I have particularly narrow feet either. I have some clarks originals in a c width but they are fairly snug. I'd say I am a standard width really.

BikeRunSki Wed 06-Apr-16 22:50:48

Saltwater sandals are not as broad as Birkie standard width.

Pippidoeswhatshewants Thu 07-Apr-16 11:00:36

I have mistakenly ordered wide Birkenstocks once. They were like flippers grin

missmartha01 Thu 07-Apr-16 11:09:36

Saltwater sandals are sort of generous, but that aren't particularly wide and not as wide as Birkies. They're nice, they don't cut in when your feet swell on a hot day.

Mine swell if I'm walking a lot in the heat. They look ok now, how is that possible?

Faebonniealba Thu 07-Apr-16 14:25:34

Birkenstocks have a picture of a foot on the box and on the insole. If it is an outline of a foot it is normal width, if the picture is solid (filled in) then the birkenstock is narrow. Usually shops inly stock normal width.

keeponkeepinon Thu 07-Apr-16 20:35:19

Thanks very much for getting back to me. I think I'd like to order some but still not sure which. My heart is saying get bright red! I never wear red really but I always wear a bright summery red on my toes - maybe this will clash with the sandals if I get red - I'm not willing to give up my bright red toots!
Is black a bit heavy for this type of sandal? not sure if the brown will wash my skin out or be aging on me. I reckon that colour would look best on someone with golden pins-not a look i am able to achieve!

Gingefringe Fri 08-Apr-16 06:58:29

I am very pale skinned too. Last year I bought the navy/silver combo and they are great. I also have the orange patent which is surprisingly nice on pale skin.

MsRinky Fri 08-Apr-16 07:36:14

I live in Saltwaters in the summer and have navy, tan and red, which between them cover all eventualities. I reckon you'd be best off with navy.

Blu Fri 08-Apr-16 07:52:57

I have red: it is a lovely red.

Greengardenpixie Fri 08-Apr-16 07:56:40

Saltwater sandals are narrowish. I have a pair and have wide feet. When i got them they werent the most comfortable but then i did size up. The good thing about saltwater is you can mould them to your feet after plunging into water. I ordered the lime green and the red to choose. I kept the red. I liked them better. In truth though, i think i would have worn them more in a natural colour. I found a lot of the things i wore didnt go in my summer wardrobe [ a lot of pinks/purples ]
They were great at the seaside and in the sea though. No fear of them slipping off!!!! I swam in them. The sea was rocky underneath and painful on my feet!!!

Higge Fri 08-Apr-16 08:08:38

I have gold and red - love them both.

Shannaratiger Fri 08-Apr-16 08:18:30

Thanks MN just looked at the website. Am seriously considering them for my DD who has dyspraxia, autism and hypermobile joints. She hates the feel of sand on her feet but can't handle jelly shoes and I hate seeing her running in Crocs! Are they really OK in the sea?

MsRinky Sun 10-Apr-16 12:37:05

Yes, they are absolutely fine in the sea. I generally rinse them off after so that I don't get salt marks on, mine have also been through washing machine several times. They are brilliant.

notapizzaeater Sun 10-Apr-16 12:40:31

I sometimes suffer from plantar fasciitis - are the heels padded ?

MsRinky Sun 10-Apr-16 17:12:40

No, there is no padding at all - they are completely flat, so they aren't for everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now