Help with Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser shades please

(14 Posts)
abigboydidit Tue 05-Apr-16 09:29:10

Hi - I am keen to try a tinted moisturiser and fancy the sound of the Laura Mercier one. However, nowhere local stocks it and I can't seem to find any option to try a sample? I have dark brown hair and eyes & fairly pale sallow skin which does tan easily in summer. At the moment I am using Mabelline BB cream in the lightest shade and it matches really well. I tried and loved the Green People Age Defy + Tinted moisturiser DD cream but the porcelain colour washed me out and the light gave me a bit of a yellow tinge. Am I being unrealistic thinking I can shop for this online? Any advice or recommendations gratefully received, thanks.

OttiliaVonBCup Tue 05-Apr-16 09:31:49

Whatever you do don't get the Illuminating one.
I have similar colouring and my best match was in the Illuminating range and it's a shiny greasy disaster.

Try before you buy.

abigboydidit Tue 05-Apr-16 09:36:17

Oh - thanks, I was considering it! Does it come in 15 shades too? I just find that many options overwhelming - tempted just to plump for nude but on google images there were photos of all the colours smeared on someone's arm and it looked an odd colour.

OttiliaVonBCup Tue 05-Apr-16 09:44:53

Don't remember how many shades, but definitely a better much for me.

Whole tube sitting in the drawer, unused.

AveEldon Tue 05-Apr-16 10:05:25

I am pale and wear the porcelain in winter and the nude in summer
I rarely tan at all so would think the nude would be too light for you

Stockist list
www.lauramercier.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Laura-Mercier-Site/default/Stores-Find/C1047498035

botemp Tue 05-Apr-16 10:12:27

Yes, go for the original formula (possibly the oil free one if you're oily but sample then regardless since that formula is hit or miss).They all have the same colour range as illuminating, Ebay sometimes sells samples so try there first, maybe? It never hurts to call up someone that sells them either.

I use the colour 'Blush' but full disclosure I'm a bit of an odd person to colour match, I show a little darker than I am but usually am on the lightest end of the spectrum (neutral undertones). Like you I'm pale but I don't burn, but do tan without issue.

I also have a tiny travel version of 'Nude' that I got as a GWP and since it's a pretty forgiving formula I can wear that easily in summer. I sometimes mix in a bit of foundation if I need more coverage so you can adjust the colour if necessary a bit as long as you're within range. For reference I'm a BR20 with Chanel (though a tad too rosy), a 3/4 with Givenchy, and I look like a ghost whenever something is pink and too sallow if it is too yellow based (I need a neutral/beige undertone, usually involves combining two colours), could never get on with Bourjois colours. Am probably an NWsomething but I never really bothered with MAC.

abigboydidit Tue 05-Apr-16 10:15:08

Thanks everyone. I have been looking and think am either a bisque or a blush? But am not actually very sure what the difference between them is confused

MrsMarigold Tue 05-Apr-16 10:19:00

I use warm ivory and I'm pale with mousey blonde hair.

botemp Tue 05-Apr-16 10:46:59

I've tried 'Bisque' as a foundation sample and in all honesty though it is is not my exact colour it looked perfectly fine. Perfect colour matching is in my opinion not as imperative when the coverage is so minimal like with a TM.

If I remember correctly (it was a long time ago but I do have the memory of an elephant) they tried 'Cameo', 'Blush', and 'Fawn' on me. Cameo was too yellow, Blush was a perfect match and Fawn while the right undertones too dark.

Maybe try the Temptalia Foundation Matrix?

abigboydidit Tue 05-Apr-16 10:53:37

A foundation matrix! I like the sound of that! Tried eBay and no luck with samples. Will call nearest SpaceNK and see if they might help.

abigboydidit Tue 05-Apr-16 18:17:18

That foundation matrix is addictive. I am unsure about my tones though, so keep switching my answers confused

botemp Tue 05-Apr-16 19:02:09

shock Did you just spend seven hours lost in a foundation matrix? Was it Hollywood blockbuster worthy?

I could never make sense of the exact colour of my veins either. Did you try using your current shade in Maybelline that was a good match as a reference to start (or other good matches)?

abigboydidit Tue 05-Apr-16 21:57:50

Nearly! I am ashamed to admit I have lost the day to browsing google images and videos of people using it confused The BB cream wasn't specific enough to give a good match unfortunately. I have a benefit one but only use it as a setting powder as find it is too yellow - a problem I seem to be finding more and more when trying shades. Though I definitely have a yellow tone to my skin! In the past I have been very guilty of selecting shades too pale for me as I was terrified of looking orange (and only wore it for nights out, so had sweated it off after a couple of hours!). Now am approaching 40 I need something for daily wear and don't want to look washed out. Or orange. Or yellow blush Nearest stockist is over 25 miles away and would require a train journey and a day off work (no way I could take 2 pre-schoolers into SpaceNK!) so I have been reckless and ordered the Blush colour in oil free. I really hope it matches!

abigboydidit Tue 05-Apr-16 21:59:18

I should add that the Benefit was purchased pre-marriage and kids, so is possibly toxic by now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now