Water flossing gadgets any recommendations please

(14 Posts)
JaceLancs Tue 05-Apr-16 00:57:57

I remember a thread on here a while ago with people rating their electric flosses
What I'm looking for most is something to help me when I get plaque and bits of food etc caught in my teeth
I've tried all the usual methods but end up inflaming my gums sometimes whilst trying to clean/clear them
I never used to suffer but in my fifties am now struggling with receding gums and generally very sensitive to discomfort of any kind
Any help or suggestions appreciated
They vary quite a bit in price so don't really know what to look for

VenusRising Tue 05-Apr-16 02:19:15

You need to see your dentist immediately as you may need periodontal treatment. Sounds like you have serious gum disease.

It's important you make an appointment ASAP and not piss about with home treatments. You need professional advice and treatment, not internet randoms telling you of Aldi/lidl/ boots aisle of wonder personal grooming products.

Go sooner rather than later or you may lose your teeth. Remember untreated gum disease causes bacteria from plaque getting into your blood, inflaming your heart valves. Post menopause this can give you an even higher chance of a heart attack. This is serious stuff, you can die from it, so see a dentist ASAP.

georgetteheyersbonnet Tue 05-Apr-16 03:11:03

My dentist told me not to bother with water flossers - they don't work that well apparently. If you're hurting your gums when you're cleaning the gums you need professional advice, definitely.

JaceLancs Tue 05-Apr-16 07:26:00

I just typed a really long reply and my phone locked up!
The shorter version is
I have had gum disease in the past and consulted my dentist who has treated this and I follow his treatments and use appropriate products
Apparently one of my rear teeth has rotated in socket this causes a problem between it and it's neighbour where stuff gets caught and I can't remove
Makes eating a nightmare - lots of stuff I can no longer eat and trying to clear with normal methods problematic
I just wondered if a water pick would help
Dentist says only solution is removal which he is reluctant to do to a healthy tooth
I will make an appointment again even though check up not due yet and ask for further advice

VenusRising Sat 09-Apr-16 21:32:32

You could get that tooth capped with a smaller tooth in a better shape and orientation.

I'd go back to your dentist.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 10-Apr-16 08:51:06

We have an air flosser- it's OK but I prefer tape and dental brushes.

Ifonlyiweretaller Sun 10-Apr-16 13:47:33

I bought a water flosser but threw it out earlier today. Just a faff (and messy) to use, I'll stick with teepees, floss and mouthwash!

HeyMacWey Sun 10-Apr-16 16:10:53

Would a single tufted brush help? I've started using one for the tricky to get to back molars.

I have a panasonic travel version which folds down on itself to pack. I love it, no idea if it does any good but after I brush thoroughly it still seems to shift bits I can see in the sink. It does make me feel fresher and I get less tonsil stones if i use it regularly so I tend to believe it does some good.

RNBrie Sun 10-Apr-16 20:57:06

I have a Panasonic dentacare rechargeable oral irrigator. My dental hygienist says my teeth are really clean but it's not doing the same job as flossing for my gums. I have a weird teeth phobia and can't use floss so the water flosser is our compromise but it's definitely not as good as old fashioned floss.

ScarlettDarling Sun 10-Apr-16 22:24:18

I have a Philips air flosser and I like it. It's v easy and quick to use so I floss with it twice a day which I would never do with traditional floss.

I do still use the traditional stuff a few times a week though as I feel it does a mer thorough job. One good thing about the air flosser is that Dh and dc use it (with their own heads!) and they would never use normal floss because of the faff.

ScarlettDarling Sun 10-Apr-16 22:24:54

more thorough. Not mer...

JaceLancs Mon 11-Apr-16 01:21:09

Got a dentist appointment next week so will ask for advice - the air flosser sounds like a possibility

amarmai Mon 11-Apr-16 11:29:03

wish i knew about water pics decades ago before all the $$$ and pain . I've been using the Braun ultra plac remover for a few years now , but was getting new rotating heads for it when i saw a Rexall drug store special for their barnd of water pic + heads for leas than the heads for the Braun. so i'm switching to the cheap one. Also use floss, electric and regular toothbrush!I like putting a little bit of salt in the water pic-works wonders tightening up my gums.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now