The one thing that helps you feel 'put together' ?

(115 Posts)
bigbuttons Mon 04-Apr-16 18:08:45

At the ripe old age of 48 I have recently bought myself my first lip stick.
It's Chanel and am utterly in love with it. When ever I wear it I feel , well, put together and confident, no matter what else I'm wearing. ( that and my ray bans!)
Can't believe I've gone these years thinking a good lippie would be wasted on my thin lips.
I'd be interested to know if anyone else has that one thing that makes all the difference?

LBOCS2 Mon 04-Apr-16 18:16:21

I have two things - getting my eyebrows done regularly (threaded) and doing my nails. I pay £3 every three weeks for my eyebrows, and I do my own nails (finger and toes) on a Sunday night - two layers plus a top coat, which means they last the week provided I don't do any too much washing up.

It makes a big difference. Chipped nails particularly really bother me!

Kennington Mon 04-Apr-16 18:23:54

Brown eyeliner - applied with just an angled brush and a shadow
Eyebrows threaded
Clear nail polish
Black ankle boots
Sorry that is 4 things!

VeganCanBeFabulous Mon 04-Apr-16 18:25:53

Defo eyebrows threaded, good mascara, plus my rings. I have quite a few chunky silver rings I love and I always feel properly dressed with them on.

Lalaloopy2016 Mon 04-Apr-16 18:26:26

Heels. Not too high any more but changes my look completely.

DraenorQueen Mon 04-Apr-16 18:27:00

Eyebrows carefully plucked and subtly pencilled.
Might copy you and get a lippie. In my new job I have to look smart and "together" and my face looks quite washed out without a bit of colour, I think.

I'm a scruffy git, I'm afraid, and generally look pretty unkempt even in naice clothes. I recently bought a Boots No 7 lipstick in Red Brick though, one of the ones that last for ages, and I do feel a bit more 'dressed' when wearing it.

Blerg Mon 04-Apr-16 18:27:46

Eyebrows! I get mine threaded and apply Benefit Gimme Brow. Recently recommended by a friend and is a revelation! They really frame the face.

Also BB cream. Evens out skin tone without looking too 'done'. I use Bourgeois and apply with foundation brush.

Annarose2014 Mon 04-Apr-16 18:29:41

Some base, be it foundation, concealer, powder....whatever is to hand. At least then I look less haggard and piggy faced and won't be mortified if I meet an old school friend in the supermarket!

Floisme Mon 04-Apr-16 18:30:39

I love lipstick on other people but I always feel like I'm 5 years old and playing with my mum's make up.

So I would say a haircut and a good bra (still can't believe I'm an F cup).

bigbuttons Mon 04-Apr-16 18:30:40

Thanks smile. I pluck my brows myself, I think they look fine, not over plucked, nicely shaped. They are still thick and dark should I use an eyebrow pencil all the same? I have never thought about my brows, may be I should!
I shall check out the benefit thing.

ontherightpath Mon 04-Apr-16 18:33:22

Hair washed and blow-dried properly is by far my most important thing. My hair never looks as good on day 2, even if tied up nicely, and looks lank by day 3, so no matter how well dressed I am or how well applied my make up without freshly washed hair I never feel 'put together'.

Lipstick comes a close second and a nice pair of earrings is third.

Blerg Mon 04-Apr-16 18:35:34

If you like the shape, no need to get them done. I just can't be bothered. And actually they do them a it thin. The Gimme Brow fills them out and as I did frames the face. I'm a makeup noob and is easier than pencil for me.

MrsSparkles Mon 04-Apr-16 18:35:39

Nice, neatly done hair. I look like a mess 95% of the time at the moment as my hair desperately needs a trim, and I can't master the 'smart relaxed waves' look.

daisywhoopsie Mon 04-Apr-16 18:36:45

I usually wash my hair in the evening and leave it to dry naturally so washing my hair in the morning and therefore having to dig the hairdryer out makes me feel 'put together'.

ZaraW Mon 04-Apr-16 18:38:57

Red lipstick and diamond earrings

GeorgeTheThird Mon 04-Apr-16 18:39:31

I've recently started using a sponge to apply my foundation. It looks better.

GeorgeTheThird Mon 04-Apr-16 18:40:10

Does anyone know how I wash it? Will a squirt of handwash and a rinse do the trick? 😄

BrendasGotABaby Mon 04-Apr-16 18:47:27

Swishy hair.
Freshly manicured nails
Freshly plucked eyebrows

DianaT1969 Mon 04-Apr-16 19:20:19

A salon blow dry

Alicesmith85 Mon 04-Apr-16 19:25:02

Two things are a must. Threaded eyebrows every ten days and shellac every two weeks.

Other things, shower, hair wash and quick straighten every morning. Fake tan once a week.

Always wear a bright lipstick. Minimal make up every day.

Smileandwaveboys Mon 04-Apr-16 19:50:44

I like my nails to look good, I have a manicure every month and keep them in good shape. Two coats of polish and Seche Vite Top coat keeps them looking great all week. I like to look at them when I'm typing (saddo). It makes me happy!

Wash and blow dry my hair at least every other day. Makes me feel fresher and more 'done'. I also get my roots done every 6-8 weeks.

I recently bought a biker style leather jacket that makes me look more stylish and goes with everything. Teen DD approved so must be ok!

I feel a lot more put together now in my thirties. I don't worry as much about what others think scornful daughters aside, and know what makes me look and feel good.

BorisJohnsonsHair Mon 04-Apr-16 20:00:03

Earrings, scarf and bangles.

Toffeewhirl Mon 04-Apr-16 20:13:14

Wash and straighten my hair every day; wear my House of Colour lipstick and clothing in my colours. Also get my hair cut and coloured regularly and get my brows done every few months (and maintain them myself in between). I never used to work so hard on myself, but it's amazing what the shock of hitting 50 can do to you.

Can anyone recommend nail varnish that will make me look manicured and 'together', but in a subtle shade? I have some gorgeous red nail varnish, but I need something less 'in your face' for a work thing next week.

LBOCS2 Mon 04-Apr-16 20:28:16

How about Porchester Square by Nails Inc? It's a sort of mushroomy grey.

I always think red is fine at work though, as long as nails are kept relatively short and they're not chipped at all - long red nails have a whiff of Russian hooker about them unfortunately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now