Is it just me or are Converse cripplingly painful?

(116 Posts)
knowler Mon 04-Apr-16 15:27:52

I literally cannot walk anywhere in Converse without getting foot pain due to hard sole and no arch support. They also rub heels and toes. Is it just me?! I have no problems with any other shoes - my feet are not an awkward shape or size. Are Superga any better for comfort?

MadameDePompom Mon 04-Apr-16 15:30:50

Not just you. I'm yet to find a pair of Converse that don't feel like the heel is made of razor blades.

Maybe it's because I've got delicate and aristocratic little clod hoppers. Like the Princess and the Pea.

Fugghetaboutit Mon 04-Apr-16 15:34:00

Not for me, they're v comfy. Do you have wider feet as they're quite slim

DonkeyOaty Mon 04-Apr-16 15:34:43

You're not alone. They kill my feet.

OnceMoreIntoTheBleach Mon 04-Apr-16 15:34:55

Agree. Stiff, scratchy and unsupportive, and sizing doesn't work for me either! I tried 2 different styles and the gave up.

treaclesoda Mon 04-Apr-16 15:35:43

Yes, I find them uncomfortable too. They always gave me that burning sensation on my soles, like when you wear high heels on a night out that you aren't used to.

I have discovered that you can buy Dunlops which look almost identical to Converse and cost about a third of the price, which are much more comfortable. The downside is there is a very limited choice of colour.

Wanderingwondering Mon 04-Apr-16 15:36:31

I can't wear converse but love Ash

treaclesoda Mon 04-Apr-16 15:36:33

And yes, Superga are much more comfortable. They even have a little bit of arch support.

maybebabybee Mon 04-Apr-16 15:38:17

Really? Comfiest shoes on earth for me.

Doc martens on the other hand - ow fucking ow. I'm told you have to break them in for about two weeks and then they're heavenly but I've not yet had the patience to do that with mine.

sparechange Mon 04-Apr-16 15:39:59

Totally agree. I thought it was just because I have wide feet but I hate them. DH loves his though.
'Minimal' running trainers are my casual footwear of choice now. DN tells me they are waaaay cooler than converse anyway

VocationalGoat Mon 04-Apr-16 15:40:15

I love them.
But I think you really need narrow feet for them.
I love Superga as well.
Try an arch support insert from Boots.

quirkychick Mon 04-Apr-16 15:42:03

Ah, I have arch supports that I put in mine wink.

The hi-tops take a bit of breaking in as the backs can be stiff and the tri-zips particularly, as the zip along the ankle makes it really stiff <note to self to not hi-tops or boots with zips down the back>. I do love them, though and they last ages. I have just had a Missoni pair delivered from Zalando Lounge today smile.

quirkychick Mon 04-Apr-16 15:43:06

*not to buy

knowler Mon 04-Apr-16 16:10:19

I think I'm going to give up on them and will try some Superga. Or, in all likelihood, stick with my ugly but so comfy Skechers smile

MadameDePompom Mon 04-Apr-16 16:11:23

I'm tempted to get a pair of Stan Smiths. I remember them as being oh so comfy in the 90s.

DiscordiaVanDiemen Mon 04-Apr-16 16:11:47

I've got narrow feet and I don't find Converse at all comfortable. I had a pair that I never managed to break in.

Donge13 Mon 04-Apr-16 16:12:36

Converse kill me. Vans are even worse, so today I have finally given in and bought some go walks grin

TrixieBernadette Mon 04-Apr-16 16:16:32

Like the previous poster I have Dunlops instead which are about a third of the price and three times more comfy!

MadameDePompom Mon 04-Apr-16 16:18:05

Ooooh you can leopard print Dunlop's for £20!

QueenofallIsee Mon 04-Apr-16 16:19:11

My daughter and I have numerous pairs between us. We both have one pair that rub like a muthafucker whereas the others are all fine. Downright odd

gBean Mon 04-Apr-16 16:20:45

I hate them. Awfully painful. Find Vans much better.

Laquila Mon 04-Apr-16 16:22:56

I think Supergas have sort of squishier, comfier soles.

TrixieBernadette Mon 04-Apr-16 16:25:26

I get bright coloured Dunlops every year from sports direct for about £9! Hope they have them again this year - got mine out for their first outing of the year this weekend, have missed them!

EatShitDerek Mon 04-Apr-16 16:25:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Branleuse Mon 04-Apr-16 16:27:51

i cant wear them. The thin flat soles make my feet so painful if i walk much in them, as theres no shock absorbtion

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now