Indian clothing

(5 Posts)
Bilpop Mon 04-Apr-16 12:13:55

Hi,
I recently attended a wedding in New Delhi and as a guest received many small gifts, by one of which I am slightly confused. It looks like a shrug/shawl, about 200cm x 90cm, but it is very stiff, similar to tulle. How is this meant to be worn and does it need to be washed to get softer, if meant for wearing at all?
Please see pictures - any advice will be greatly appreciated!

melodycool Mon 04-Apr-16 13:40:41

Hi, it's a shawl and the beauty is in its stiffness so that it's quite structural when worn around the shoulders. Would look great with a plain black dress.
Or it could be pleated concertina style and pinned to one shoulder and allowed to fan out.
Just play around with it.
It probably will soften with use.

MooMinCow Mon 04-Apr-16 16:09:41

It looks like a dupatta (a kind of stole) traditionally worn with shalwar kameez (tunic/trousers) for modesty (either to cover the head or chest area)

If you google it or look on Pinterest there are loads of ways to wear. On a recent trip to Mumbai, I saw loads of women wearing them with jeans and t shirts, just draped over the bust area or shoulders.

MooMinCow Mon 04-Apr-16 16:17:49

ideas here

Bilpop Tue 05-Apr-16 09:53:21

Thanks you both for your suggestions!
Unfortunately, whatever I try, it just doesn't work - although light and transparent, it fans out too much and hides entirely the dress underneath. Not sure I like the pattern either - it reminds me too much of a blanketsmile.
It will have to go to a charity shop, where somebody who knows how to wear it will hopefully find it.
Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now