Russell and Bromley- best service in London?

(7 Posts)
starryhatts Sun 03-Apr-16 20:51:43

Hello S&B,

I received a gorgeous pair of R&B loafers for Christmas, a real treat as I wouldn't usually spent that much on a pair of shoes when I can get leather for a lot cheaper. I have heard they are lovely quality and made to last.

Unfortunately, a few weeks ago I had to retire them because the trim around the heel has started to peel away (I have about 3 inches of it hanging off the shoe) and some has come off completely. Considering I have only worn them 2-3 times a week since mid-January, I'm really upset they haven't lasted much longer. I have Clarks and Office leather loafers that still look new a few years on in comparison.

Luckily, the giftgiver gave me all of the receipts and documents so I can take them back. I would have gone sooner but I have had to wait until half-term to get some time off (Teacher!).

Can anyone recommend a good branch in London where they can vouch for nice service? I fully intend on getting an equivalent price replacement in a different style.

elfofftheshelf Mon 04-Apr-16 09:15:46

Personally I find the service in R&B pretty shoddy. It's clear that they are all on commission, you ask to try on shoes, and matching bags get produced, there is definitely a hard sell approach, I was struggling to make up my mind and the sales assistant kept pushing to the point that I left rather than give her a sale (and to be honest, I'd have bought both pairs if I'd had 1 min on my own to fully try, look, think etc). My experiences are based on Oxford Street, Regent Street and Westfield (Stratford) branches. Good luck!

Twinklestein Mon 04-Apr-16 13:08:04

The ones I know are King's Road and Knightsbridge - they're all friendly, but I'd be surprised if they agree to replace them. They'll probably just offer a repair.

polyhymnia Mon 04-Apr-16 16:40:17

Sorry to hear this. I've been buying a lot of my shoes from R and B for years and have never had any problems with poor wear. I actually have a pair of the loafers which are wearing well. You should definitely get yours replaced.
I find the staff at Covent Garden are friendly and helpful, specially the mansgeress if she's around.

justasecond Mon 04-Apr-16 17:10:00

I agree re the hard sell and bringing out matching bags and other shoes. Very annoying and puts me off trying anything on in there.

starryhatts Mon 04-Apr-16 22:05:51

Pleased to say that the lovely deputy manager at Russell and Bromley Covent Garden was horrified and offered to refund or replace for any equivalent style. I have a lovely new pair. If it happens again (I hope not!), she told me to just come back again!

Thank you to all who responded smile

polyhymnia Fri 08-Apr-16 10:13:47

Glad to hear that- have always found them nice there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now