Facial Skincare

(5 Posts)
voxnihili Sun 03-Apr-16 15:15:19

Hi
Until recently I have never been interested in skincare / makeup / fashion etc. I've always taken a pride in my appearance however, just never been very adventurous.

I'm early 30s and stopped taking the pill about 8 months ago. I've lost lots of weight and become more confident which is why I think I've started experimenting more with my wardrobe, make up etc. Since I stopped the pill I've noticed I've been getting a few more spots. I've just been using stuff like clearasil like I used as a teenager, but have no ideas as to whether I should still be using it.

I went into Boots recently to try to pick some new products but there was so much choice I looked for a while then went out with my usual products, I don't get many spots, but when I do they last for ages. I'm also prone to dry skin. I'm currently using a combination of a clean and clear facial scrub (AM) and a tree tree cleanser (PM). I had a clean and clear moisturiser but it doesn't seem to be doing much so I put some righteous butter (soap and glory) on my face which probably isn't a great idea although it has done the job.

Anyone got any suggestions for some more 'grown up' cleansers / moisturisers that will prevent spots and not dry my skin too much?

Thanks smile

hollinhurst84 Sun 03-Apr-16 16:33:24

You're stripping your skin with stuff there so it's likely to be churning out oil in retaliation!
I would go for a balm or a cream cleanser and take it off with a warm flannel. Something like superdrug balm cleanser or body shop chamomile or Clinique take the day off. Then nip/fab extreme glycolic pads or nip/fab dragons pads to help with the spots (use anything from 3-5 times a week, see how your skin goes)
Follow with a light moisturiser, I like amphora aromatics

hollinhurst84 Sun 03-Apr-16 16:37:39

Two links
One to cleansing cheat sheet - it's a basic so can ignore product recommendations

http://www.carolinehirons.com/2013/06/routines-cheat-sheet.html?m=1

This is the moisturiser I used, cheap and I figured it would do for hand cream if my face hated it!
http://www.amphora-retail.com/product_info.php/echinacea-cream-60ml-p-174

you can go more expensive obviously but no point plastering loads on and having your face freak out. TK maxx is good for serums/moisturisers etc heavily reduced

Bumbalumba Sun 03-Apr-16 19:27:26

I find Weleda's products brilliant. They don't strip the skin and their aknedoron products (cleanser and spot treatment lotion) cured a weird spot outbreak I had in my 30s, for which no other product would work. They do a great range of moisturisers aimed at different skin types and age groups. Their products are all plant-based, and contain no chemicals or nasties.

VulcanWoman Sun 03-Apr-16 19:42:29

Almond oil as a facial moisturiser.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now