How do I get my hair to stay straight?

(17 Posts)
SprogletsMum Sun 03-Apr-16 09:26:22

Hi I have naturally wavy hair that frizzes at the slightest hint of moisture. I usually wear it down and wavy for going out but I don't like it. I like it straight but it just doesn't stay straight.
What can I do so that I straighten it and then it stays like that? I want it to look all nice and sleek not frazzled!

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sun 03-Apr-16 10:41:16

I straighten my wavy hair most days so my tips would be,
Keep your hair in good condition with regular trims and use a rich conditioner. Dry hair tends to frizzy more.
Use a serum or oil before blow drying to 'seal' your hair.
Avoid damp conditions like the plague and get a coat with a hood for rainy days.

I hear rave reviews about salon Brazilian blow drys but I can't afford them.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sun 03-Apr-16 10:42:40

I forgot to say, invest in some decent straightening irons. I like GHDs. smile

eurochick Sun 03-Apr-16 10:56:19

Brazilian treatment.

thelionsleeps Sun 03-Apr-16 11:00:26

Second brazilian straightening. I have it done every 8 months or so (may need it more often if you wash your hair alot as it washes out). I have someone who comes to my house annd it costs £100 - can be v expensive in a salon.

Sunnyshores Sun 03-Apr-16 11:02:53

Toni & Guy or Esesensuals do keratin treatment that lasts 3-4 months. My hair is straightish anyway, but it stops the constant frizziness from hot weather, rain just breathing. Its amazing.

Howdidthathappen1 Sun 03-Apr-16 12:10:00

Diy Brazilian blow from Amazon. You'll need a friend to help you with application but it's amazing stuff. I do mine once every 4-5 months and hardly need to straighten my frizzy mess til the last few weeks when I know it needs doing again. A kit is £25. I use half a pot on fine shoulder length hair. Had a salon one first which was a present and couldn't afford that again. This stuff is at least as good

Dorisslurkingfriend Sun 03-Apr-16 12:16:42

It's a short term solution, but I use John Frieda moisture resistant hairspray.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 03-Apr-16 17:04:25

Tigi Blow Out Balm is excellent for keeping frizzy hair at bay. I buy it on eBay as it's much cheaper.

Shopaholic84 Sun 03-Apr-16 19:18:20

GHDs and a hood! If it's raining and you've straightened your hair, no amount of product will keep it straight against a shed load of rain. You need a hood, or scarf or some sort of garment to put over your head if it rains.

On non rainy days, GHDs should do the trick!

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sun 03-Apr-16 19:50:00

Or one of those transparent plastic hoods that tie under the chin grin..

KitKatCustard Sun 03-Apr-16 20:03:06

I have a close fitting beanie hat I wear in the event of rain or atmospheric moisture (ie every day!). It really does help to keep my hair straighter. And I have a very wayward fringe.

lamiashiro Sun 03-Apr-16 20:12:39

Leave in conditioner/heat protector, dry hair thoroughly (don't be tempted to use the straighteners to dry it), GHDs, a blob of silkening cream then hairspray. And a hat/hood to wear outside.

CrumpetandSausage Sun 03-Apr-16 20:15:59

Yuko Japanese straightening. Permanent straight hair. Brazilian blow dry just didn't last long enough on my hair.

gonegrey56 Sun 03-Apr-16 20:18:29

I have just like yours, OP.
Best thing for mine has been my purchase of a powerful Parlux hair dryer . I use it on towel dried hair and really make sure my hair is bone dry, finishing with a blast from the cool shot . Then a spray of the John Frieda moisture protection hair spray and my hair stays frizz free most days .

WeSailTonightForSingapore Sun 03-Apr-16 20:40:30

Poster suggesting scarves - does anyone have any suggestions for scarf styles that look more or less stylish? I had a look on google but it mainly comes up with head wraps which need you to put up your hair. What if you wear it down?

lamiashiro Sun 03-Apr-16 21:11:20

I wear my hair down most of the time, I just tuck it all into my hat outside if it's damp or raining.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now