any advice on what dh (aged 50) should wear for arty interview

(44 Posts)
blobbityblob Sun 03-Apr-16 00:06:41

Would appreciate any help. DH is 50, a techy art worker. He's been in the same job for 18 years and now having to job search. He's been told smart casual for upcoming interview. But he's an unusual shape. An inverted triangle, fairly short. And we've kind of lost touch. So I'm thinking jacket and dockers/chinos. Any ideas? What kind of jacket? He's distinguished/attractive/young looking facially. Any ideas for a jacket that's a bit arty but doesn't make him look like mutton?

MrsLettuce Sun 03-Apr-16 00:10:29

What sort of budget? Cos would be a good bet.

BackforGood Sun 03-Apr-16 00:16:37

To be honest, if he's not sure, and doesn't have a 'look' he usually wears that would be appropriate, then the last thing he wants to do for an interview is try to put together a 'look', IMO.
If he's not sure, then go for smart trousers, a dark shirt and tie, or a formal suit. You are never going to be marked down for being "too smart" for an interview, even if it's not thought to be necessary, but you don't want to feel you've gone in a new set of clothes you aren't really sure about and be even more uncomfortable than you otherwise would be in an interview.

Minniemagoo Sun 03-Apr-16 00:19:18

I'd go for a suit and shirt, no tie. Suit doesn't have to be pinstripe smile One with a good cut can look smart casual with the right shirt

MrsLettuce Sun 03-Apr-16 00:22:24

Suit and plain black tshirt is better than suit and shirt IMO, certainly no ties in any case.

Creating 'a look' isn't a good plan but TBH I don;t think that was the plan anyway.

blobbityblob Sun 03-Apr-16 00:22:46

Budget maybe up ro £300? I think a suit is wrong, it's the arty thing, none of them wear suits. To work they'd wear shirt and jeans. I'm looking for ideas for a smart casual jacket that's not old man. But is on an older man. Sorry, hopefully someone will know what I mean. A reefer jacket, but more indoor wear?

MrsLettuce Sun 03-Apr-16 00:24:45

But, a good suit is a hard (and expensive) thing to find. Cheap suits are almost always best left in the shop.

blobbityblob Sun 03-Apr-16 00:29:23

Thank u all so far. I don't know why but he looks an awful lot better in jeans/ chinos than he does suit trousers. Maybe because he's shorter.

blobbityblob Sun 03-Apr-16 00:36:12

But yes, I think you all may be right, it's probably more stylish to go for a decent suit with nice shirt.

MrsLettuce Sun 03-Apr-16 00:36:25

How old is older?

My DH usually wears something like this jacket, or [http://www.zara.com/uk/en/man/blazers/textured-weave-blazer-with-elbow-patches-c392502p3185304.html[ this one]]with a black tshirt and good, well cut jeans for an interview / presentation / important client stuff. I think Diesel ones often. He;s mid 30's but older and colleges seem to wear much the same in that sort of situation.

He's got a beautiful suit and looks ravishing in it but he's not worn it for years 'cause they're too formal these days.

blobbityblob Sun 03-Apr-16 00:41:45

Yes! That looks perfect mrs lettuce. I'm worried about jeans tho, is there an alternative? Yes dh hasn't bought a suit in 20 years.

MrsLettuce Sun 03-Apr-16 00:42:15

Bad link, sorry! zara jacket again

A good suit, one that looks stylish, for someone who isn't tall and 'standard' build isn't likely to come in on budget. Really it isn't. You could get lucky with a lot of leg work but without knowing exactly what a really good one looks like on it;s verging on the impossible.

(DHP is usually in head designer / art director roles)

MrsLettuce Sun 03-Apr-16 00:50:37

x post. Yeah. Jeans are hard. Is trial and error I'm afraid nowt compared to buying a suit though

Black trousers? Depends on the jacket. Zara usually have decent chino things, he says. I'm afraid I don't pay that much attention! blush

MrsLettuce Sun 03-Apr-16 00:51:40

Oh, he's 50. You said. Yes, no jeans.

blobbityblob Sun 03-Apr-16 00:54:16

Yes exactly that type of role. In all honesty he looks awful in suit trousers. Do u think jeans is ok for interview? Again skinny jeans on a 50 year old man? Who's not skinny.

MrsLettuce Sun 03-Apr-16 00:59:45

Fuck no to skinny jeans on most men. Only good on a very few delicious young souls and old skinny rockers.

What trews does he usually wear?

ouryve Sun 03-Apr-16 01:03:14

He can't wear skinny jeans if that's just not him.

What does he normally wear?

MrsLettuce Sun 03-Apr-16 01:06:01

Also, all the ankle grazing mans trousers about ATM, what's that about?

The male equivalent of good straight cut jeans would be the thing if he were to want jeans. I don;t know what they're called for men. Cotton jeans would be better, black, natch.

blobbityblob Sun 03-Apr-16 01:06:28

Lol. Jeans mostly, black ones. And dockers or chinos, black or beige. He thinks beige is really ageing. But if he wore say a dark grey, black or pinstripe jacket, what chino's might go? I just don't know. It all looks wrong when he tries it on.

MrsLettuce Sun 03-Apr-16 01:11:21

Right, in the wardrobe were these or or maybe it's these, didn't read the code on the label, just the name. They are pretty representative of what they seem to wear. The younger ones do go a step skinnier but never skinny.

ouryve Sun 03-Apr-16 01:13:59

He might look better with a smart-ish bomber jacket than blazer, with his build. And put the investment into a good shirt, sticking with natural fibres.

ouryve Sun 03-Apr-16 01:16:25

The second pair of jeans linked would work well with a mustard needlecord jacket, if it suits him.

MrsLettuce Sun 03-Apr-16 01:19:05

ourve, yes, your'ee maybe right with the jacket! I think I saw a nice one on either Cos or Zara when I was before. Didn't look properly. Could be tricky to put together but he might feel more comfortable.

Do you know of such a jacket? Sounds great

MrsLettuce Sun 03-Apr-16 01:20:36

Do you know of such a jacket? Sounds great -> the mustard needlecord I mean.

Was waffeling about a bomber first off wine

MrsLettuce Sun 03-Apr-16 01:35:57

Oh, it was this I saw. This^ is the image on the main page. Nice but not a bomber.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now