liquid eyeliner disasters

(14 Posts)
Aradiacat Sat 02-Apr-16 23:47:30

I'm almost 40 and used to be able to wear liquid eyeliner and it look great! Tried it earlier on with one I pinched from DD and oh my god what a feckin mess! I'm blaming the fact that my eyes are getting crepey (and considering an eye lift shock) but am hoping it's just the fact that it took forever to dry and smudged everywhere. It was one of the ones like a thin brush as I can't seem to get on with the felt nib ones. Any suggestions on fairly fast drying ones that are idiot proof? Or am I conning myself and I need to admit that I can't wear it now my eyelids aren't what they were?

pictish Sat 02-Apr-16 23:51:44

I'm 40 and my eyelids are getting a bit crinkly too but I still wear it. I use a smooth gel liner and a super-fine wedged brush to apply it.

Aradiacat Sat 02-Apr-16 23:59:40

Which one do you use Pictish? Can you still get a good wing that way?

MrsLettuce Sun 03-Apr-16 00:00:19

Have you tried gel eyeliner? I think it's this one I use, but with an good angled eyeliner brush, here. It's as sharp as a liquid liner but I find it the texture / finish more flattering on my skin these days.

MrsLettuce Sun 03-Apr-16 00:01:57

Oh, it's this one I have, it seems. TBH the brush is the most important bit.

TresDesolee Sun 03-Apr-16 00:03:46

I use Laura mercier cake eyeliner (http://www.lauramercier.com/eye-liner/tightline-cake-eye-liner-prod320008.html). Add a drop of water and apply with superfine brush. Takes a couple of seconds to dry but then absolutely does not budge unless you rub it

Bragadocia Sun 03-Apr-16 00:06:08

I can't get on with felt tips applicators - I don't know why they are meant to make it easier. The Barry M eye define eyeliner is excellent. It's a bit like a felt tip brush thing rather than actual hairs, but behaves like a conventional brush does (really bendy and sweepy). I am so impressed with it, and it's under a fiver.

pictish Sun 03-Apr-16 00:08:32

Both gel and small angled brush are MAC. Yes I get a good wing. There are loads of techniques to putting liquid eyeliner on and everyone does something different. I find the very thinnest tip of the wedged brush makes it easy to 'draw' then fill in.

pictish Sun 03-Apr-16 00:10:35

angled brush

MrsLettuce Sun 03-Apr-16 00:14:38

Ha! Snap on the brush pictish, best one going IMHO.

hollinhurst84 Sun 03-Apr-16 00:18:27

I have that MAC brush and found it too thick, ended up with an Inglot one which is angled but incredibly thin. Definitely my fave brush ever! I use it with maybelline gel pot

SesameSparkle Sun 03-Apr-16 11:07:08

I agree with a gel liner and brush for giving the most control and a nice dark colour. One of these angled brushes is best, although I can get away with using a spare lip brush. If you're struggling to define an even line along your lid, then I can recommend drawing that bit with soft pencil first, before running over the top with the liquid or gel liner.

pictish Sun 03-Apr-16 12:01:25

That's a good idea.

Aradiacat Sun 03-Apr-16 14:26:54

Brilliant suggestions I will get some gel liner and a thin brush, thank you. So glad I don't have to give up on my wings! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now