Am I too old for this outfit?

(15 Posts)
Twinklestar2 Thu 31-Mar-16 09:54:56

Yesterday I was wearing a dress similar to this, but burgundy with cream flowers: www.dorothyperkins.com/en/dpuk/product/mela-grey-rose-print-dress-5330517
A black jacket with 3/4 sleeves, waist length
Black opaques with black shoe boots like this: www.dorothyperkins.com/en/dpuk/product/shoes-boots-4849364/boots-203591/black-matte-fringed-boots-4946131

Looked at myself in the mirror at work and thought ‘Am I too old for this outfit?’

I’m 37.

I work in the design industry so everyone at work wears jeans but I work on the marketing side and need to go out and about and meet people so I don’t want to dress too casually but I look out of place in the design studio dressed really smartly.

Was I too old for that outfit?

ItGoesWithoutSaying Thu 31-Mar-16 10:24:49

No.

I'd wear that to work and I'm older than you. I bet you looked lovely.

AliciaMayEmory Thu 31-Mar-16 10:33:50

Definitely not too old for that outfit! I always think it's more about if the shapes suit you than your age. I love the dress but couldn't wear it as the waist would be too high on me as my body is long, so I know I'd look like I was trying to wear one of DDs dresses! But the outfit is fine and 37 isn't too old to wear anything IMO.

HawkEyeTheNoo Thu 31-Mar-16 11:04:51

Ahem, I'm 40 and I have that dress in the navy and pink. You def not too old!! My wardrobe mostly consists of dresses like that one, I usually team with a coordinated cardi and pumps or if I'm feeling a bit dressier I wear heels.

Purplebluebird Thu 31-Mar-16 11:21:41

Not too old at all :D

UhtredRagnorsson Thu 31-Mar-16 13:12:48

Not at all. I wouldn't wear it but that's because I don't do patterned fabrics (my appearance is too busy already what with the curls and the red hair and the glasses and the freckles - none of which I can do anything about). It's a beautiful dress and it would be fine for any smart workplace.

redhat Thu 31-Mar-16 13:14:22

Depends on where the waist falls and the skirt length as to whether it was suitable for work but in terms of outside of work then I don't see any problems at all.

hellsbellsmelons Thu 31-Mar-16 14:00:05

I'd wear that (not the boots though) and I've got 10 years on you.
So no. Nice outfit!

MamaLazarou Thu 31-Mar-16 14:33:37

No definitely not. Flower prints are quite mumsy, IMO.

UhtredRagnorsson Thu 31-Mar-16 15:01:03

Clothes are neither mumsy nor non-mimsy. It's how they are worn that determines whether they look edgy or...not.

burnishedsilver Thu 31-Mar-16 16:15:31

Maybe.
I'd need to see it on.

mumofthemonsters808 Thu 31-Mar-16 16:24:09

Not in my eyes, I think it's lovely, and I think it would look very trendy with shoe boots. it would be too short on me though. At 37 you don't even need to consider if an outfit is too young for you. At my age I either look very frumpy or feel like mutton dressed as lamb, the older I'm becoming the harder I find it to dress appropriately.Yet, I have friends my age who look fabulous in leather trousers and carry the overall look well.

Floisme Thu 31-Mar-16 18:36:37

Unless you're accessorising with an Elsa backpack I really cannot see the problem.

MsBlandingsBuildsHerDreamHouse Thu 31-Mar-16 19:17:55

No.

Twinklestar2 Thu 31-Mar-16 20:30:51

Thanks all. I was feeling a bit fat and the dress was riding up and looked short which made me question whether it looked too young.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now