Help!! Please!! Have just used my normal hair dye and it's orange instead of warm auburn

(17 Posts)
Swifey Wed 30-Mar-16 20:43:51

blush and now I look like the girl off of gimme gimme gimme!!! I've just noticed on the box that it is now called 5wr (formally 109a). Nice and easy. And it looks terrible. Help.......

Swifey Wed 30-Mar-16 20:45:54

I have a box of dark brown dye in the cupboard, shall I use that tomorrow?? Will it be really dark??

ASpiderInThebath Wed 30-Mar-16 20:49:53

Oh dear I have no idea sorry but a similar (ish) thing happened to me - with the hair dye I use, I always put it on dry hair as per the instructions but one day I put it on as usual and it came out as bright orange patches! They must have changed the ingredients or something because when I read the instructions it said to wet your hair before using it! I put a darker colour on top and it was okay but I don't know if yours would be the same. Hopefully a hairdresser will come on to advise you!

Swifey Wed 30-Mar-16 20:53:05

Thanks Spider, I should have realised it was different!! Dh has stopped laughing now, and says it's not so bad.... Sort of lucozade orange!!!! Ahhhhhh

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 30-Mar-16 20:56:30

Do a strand test first.
I don't know if a permenant dye works if you leave it less time? I know the one I've used before had in the instructions to apply to roots first then the previously dyed hair for less time.

Or would you be able to get hold of a wash in/ wash out or a semi-perm colour?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 30-Mar-16 20:59:19

Do a strand test first meaning before you put the brown dye on (not being judgey about you not strand testing before you embraced your inner Linda wink )

TBH, I never strand tested (I did allergy test <<halo>>) and got some Ahem results.
(I did strand test henna and it turned out much much darker on my hair than the test)

Swifey Wed 30-Mar-16 21:02:23

I could get hold of a semi permanent dye, but that means that I would have to go to a shop, where there are people, who will see me! wink

Swifey Wed 30-Mar-16 21:14:26

Anyone else? Is the semi permanent the best idea?? hmm

Thisismyfirsttime Wed 30-Mar-16 21:15:27

Can you leave it as it is for a few days? Try washing with v warm water, Sheer Blonde or Head and Shoulders classic and conditioning it like mad. It may remove a bit of the colour and you could use a blonde toner to neutralise the orange. Then see how it looks- you may be able to semi perm a lighter colour than a dark brown (a dark brown might go a lot darker than you think because of the porousness and colour of your hair now).

hussnchips56 Wed 30-Mar-16 21:19:17

I once dyed my hair and the only way I can describe it was Ronald MacDonald. I phoned my hairdresser friend and she said get an ash blonde dye. I had to bribe my son to go down sainsburys and get it for me. It worked! was worth the fiver bribe

Swifey Wed 30-Mar-16 21:33:13

Ash blonde?? What colour would I be then??? I am usually a mid brown/warm auburn, naturally of course, with some grey, now I'm super old at 38!! wink

Jmangel Wed 30-Mar-16 21:33:28

Try stripping the colour out with sodium bicarbonate powder mixed into a paste with lemon juice and leave on for 30 mins. Should take you back to your original colour albeit a little lighter then can start again.

Swifey Wed 30-Mar-16 21:38:16

Really Jo?? Does that work?? How long would you leave it in?

321zerobaby Wed 30-Mar-16 21:40:43

I would just use the brown dye you already have, and not leave it on too long as it will grab the colour (20 mins perhaps).

imeatingthechocolate Wed 30-Mar-16 21:46:26

wash it with washing liquid if you want to strip some dye out before redying

any dye with ash in it will neutralise red tones

ooharmehearties Wed 30-Mar-16 21:48:12

Colour b4 is good if you want to remove it. I would agree with a pp and get an ash/ blue/ purple toned dye to neutralise the -ahem-brassiness.

Swifey Wed 30-Mar-16 21:56:01

Ok, great, so like a medium ash brown, something like that? Semi permanent or permanent??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now