this is going to be controversial I'm sure...

(21 Posts)
SpringForward16 Wed 30-Mar-16 11:08:27

I'm looking for a decent hair product for my 3 year old DS. He has lovely hair which we style in a side parting which makes him look very cute and "smart". Unfortunately rough and tumble means that his hair doesn't stay very long to the side and flops forward over his forehead which tends to look a bit scruffy. Fine for every day but we have a couple of weddings coming up where id like him to stay looking smartish.

Anyone know of a good lightweight product I could put on his hair to achieve this. I don't want it to look like he has product in his hair or make him look like he's been styled, just want him to remain fairly well presented. As much as a 3 year old boy can anyway...

Floggingmolly Wed 30-Mar-16 11:11:45

It looks smart, but only when he's sitting still? And he's three...

canikeephiminhislife Wed 30-Mar-16 11:14:00

I don't think it's controversial - those of us with mixed race children do it everyday.

Just look for the product you'd use on that type of hair if you had it but then try and get the one with the least crap in it I guess

A tiny bit of hairspray probably wouldn't kill him as a one off on special occasions

SpringForward16 Wed 30-Mar-16 11:17:10

Ha yes! And as I stated in my OP I do not give a shit about whether he looks smart or not on a day to day basis. He runs around and is very out doorsy and active which I love and encourage.

But if you could recommend a hair product I could use for a couple of weddings (which he will also be wearing a smart shirt and tie for which he also doesn't wear on a daily basis!) I would be very grateful!

Just a note to anyone that thinks this is a horrendous request - asking for something to keep my child's hair looking smart at a wedding does not equal terrible mother who expects her 3 year old son to sit still and look well present every day. Or even at a wedding...

GlacindaTheTroll Wed 30-Mar-16 11:17:20

Not controversial.

Just unachievable.

Take a comb and try to smarten him up before photos or set/piece bits.

And over time think of a type that works with how his hair actually falls.

Oldraver Wed 30-Mar-16 11:17:25

My boy is 10 and his hair looks smart for about a few hours after it has been washed then resorts to scruffy. I'm sure he will soon be the age wher ehe will wnat to start putting products in.

Sorry I have no clue or advise, though will watch this thread

DonkeyOaty Wed 30-Mar-16 11:17:40

Sebastian Hair clay.

SpringForward16 Wed 30-Mar-16 11:19:03

Thanks for the sensible replies :-)

Yes probably hovering with a comb would have to do (although I will totally forget to do that!)

JacobFryesTopHatLackey Wed 30-Mar-16 11:29:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

burnishedsilver Wed 30-Mar-16 11:33:19

Oh but scruffy is so cute.

SpringForward16 Wed 30-Mar-16 12:16:20

Cute boys Jacob! I would love DS to have longer floppy hair like that. That's good scruffy.

He actually does have quite short hair but the front just falls forward and makes him look tired (oh ok that's probably the 5am wake up times that do that!) and messy. I think he looks younger with his hair off his face too (he looks a lot older than his age which isn't great when you're a full on three year old, going what three year olds do best!)

ThisIsSylviaDaisyPouncer Wed 30-Mar-16 12:17:48

Jacob your boys are absolutely gorgeous!

JacobFryesTopHatLackey Wed 30-Mar-16 12:34:09

Thank you smile. I'm biased so I think they're gorgeous.

DS1 has very straight hair, so it does lie flat and always looks neat. DS2 is just a scruffy sort and no matter what I do, he looks unkempt. He does look presentable for about 10 minutes after a haircut.

lexloofah Wed 30-Mar-16 13:07:34

Got2b hair clay, orange pot in boots, about £3. Holds really well, does not look like hair has anything in and washes out easily. ds uses everyday for school as otherwise he has the falling over the forehead thing and his hair is not that long, it just falls that way as grows forward. , he lets it do its own thing at the weekend but actually I prefer his school look

Roseberrry Wed 30-Mar-16 13:11:04

No judging here, I could do with the same for my ds. His hair is straight and falls forward but everything we try looks greasy after a few hours.

YokoUhOh Wed 30-Mar-16 13:12:15

OP I was wondering the same thing. DS is 3 and didn't have much hair until 6 months ago, but now has very 'smooth', fine hair and a double crown: it's tricky getting it into any style... He could do with a bit of texture on top but hairdresser said there wasn't enough of it sad

PotOfYoghurt Wed 30-Mar-16 13:24:53

This one's good. And it smells lovely http://www.trotters.co.uk/natural-hair-gel/

ilovetosleep Wed 30-Mar-16 13:31:06

My nearly 5 year old needs this too. He's always had longish hair but the top/fringe just hangs dead straight over his forehead and eventually he ends up with curtains. But he doesn't want to cut it all off and neither do I. I don't want a styling product to make him look smart though, I love the scruffy look it just needs a bit of texture and help staying out of his eyes

JacobFryesTopHatLackey Wed 30-Mar-16 13:42:57

uk.lush.com/products/dirty-1 maybe this would work?

floppyjogger Wed 30-Mar-16 13:47:11

Ds has super fine hair which goes into curtains or a limp fringe.

I use Vo5 texture spray once i've blow dried it then blast it again so it doesnt look like hair with product in. It doubles the texture of his hair without making it look greasy and is more tousled rather than bone straight.

I can even get it into a mini pompadour for special occasions if i slap on some john Frieda hair thickening mousse aswell!

www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=274086812&gclid=CJCk7ty26MsCFbgy0wodc4MEnQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

IWannaHoldYourHand Wed 30-Mar-16 13:57:22

Ds2 likes his hair to fall to the side, but hates 'staff's in his hair. So he sleeps with a grip pinning his fringe to the side, and dries his hair like that too. It more or less works.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now