Wearing skirts in summer

(10 Posts)
pussinboots61 Mon 28-Mar-16 11:45:43

In autumn and and winter I wear for work either standard type trousers and a jumper or cardie or mini skirts with thick tights, outside of work I wear mini skirts and thick tights with dressier tops or leggings and dresses or jeans.

In the late spring and summer I can't stand anything on my legs apart from linen trousers but I prefer to wear skirts. I hate wearing tights but I no longer feel mini skirts with bare legs suit me now I'm over fifty yet I feel frumpy in longer skirts though they are ideal with bare legs.

Any ideas please.

RhombusRiley Mon 28-Mar-16 13:42:50

I'm 46 and pear shaped, and I don't really feel comfortable with bare legs, but I love skirts and dresses. In summer I sometimes wear a knee-length dress, one that just covers the (knobbly) knees, but more often a maxi skirt or dress. I agree a calf length skirt can be frumpy but I don't think maxis are, proper ones that go right to your ankles. Wear with chunky/modern and non-frumpy sandals and painted toenails. One of my favourite summer looks is a simple plain black maxi with t-shirt style sleeves or sleeveless - I've got things like this from Hush, Boden, Superdry, a range of places. Looks simple and stylish, you can dress up with colourful sandals/bag/shades/necklace, and it's very easy to throw on and go.

Floisme Mon 28-Mar-16 14:53:41

I keep my knees under wraps these days too and I've found a longer length calls for a different shape. If I just wear a longer version of a mini then it does feel frumpy but t think calf length looks right with a fuller skirt e.g. this kind of thing:
www.whistles.com/women/sale/skirts/zip-through-skirt-21564.html?dwvar_zip-through-skirt-21564_color=Black#start=1

I know it looks shorter on the model but she's 5'11! - it's calf length on me and I love it.

I also like a very fitted pencil or heavy duty tube skirt that ends immediately below the knee.

I'm sure there are other shapes that work with a longer length - I'm still experimenting.

Greengardenpixie Mon 28-Mar-16 15:04:00

I am 48 and am the same. I love a short mini type skirt with thick tights but when it comes to summer, I just feel uncomfortable. My legs aren't bad age wise, its just because of babies I have stretch marks and fine thread veins. I have tried the cover up for bare legs, think its sally Hansen but it looked quite orangey. Even still, I wouldn't wear my skirts as short as I do in winter. I tend to keep to knee length skirts. If I go for calf length I wear chunky shoes so it make it look funky. I love a long skirt and wear funky sandals too and a short sleeved tee and a nice chunky necklace. It doesn't look frumpy.

DamsonInDistress Mon 28-Mar-16 16:49:25

I'm early 40's but think that nicely moisturised bare legs with a hint of self tan or fake tan are perfectly fine at any age. I'm no model looker either! Whilst I wouldn't go for a true mini skirt, two inches above the knee looks great on most people to me.

I was admiring that Whistles skirt in town today. It is really lovely.

Floisme Mon 28-Mar-16 19:17:20

I've tried it on a few times, Remus and I love it. I've held back cos, apart from the zip, it's very similar to one I got in H&M about a year ago. And black isn't even my colour. I'm a bit obsessed with it though....

PollyPerky Mon 28-Mar-16 19:37:43

I'm over 50 and wear skirts with no tights but I do need fake tan of some kind on my legs as I've a few light thread veins on one calf. I've good legs even though I say so, and wear skirts that come mid-knee to around 2 inches above, always with flat shoes and sometimes Superga etc.

It would be lovely with a stripey t-shirt, or a white cami and little red cardigan in a Minnie Mouse-esque manner.

RhombusRiley Mon 28-Mar-16 20:05:18

And perhaps these Minnie mouse birkenstocks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now