Do you tip the salon owner if they do your cut?

(12 Posts)
cuntycowfacemonkey Fri 25-Mar-16 17:26:37

Going to a new salon for the first time and am hooked with the owner of the salon. I've read mixed things about whether it's the done thing or not, plus at £70 for a cut and blow dry I'm not sure I feel another tenner on top is justifiable! However I will bow to social convention and go with the majority vote on here.

I never used to tip my previous hairdresser as she was mobile and quite a bit more expensive than your average mobile hairdresser

MrsMushrooms Fri 25-Mar-16 17:30:51

I always tips my hairdressers, purely selfishly!! No idea what the conventional wisdom is on this but when I go back and trust them with my hair again, I'm comforted to think that they know I'll tip if happy. (Not to say they wouldn't do a good job otherwise, but my hair's important to me so a bit of extra niceness can't hurt!)

cuntycowfacemonkey Fri 25-Mar-16 17:33:45

True Mrsmushrooms I'm sure I've read on here that it's a faux pas to tip the owner.

Pinkheart5915 Fri 25-Mar-16 17:35:30

I pay £175 for a cut and colour but give £185 to my hairdresser he is fab! But wouldn't salon owner

YouSay Fri 25-Mar-16 17:42:43

No I wouldn't tip the owner.

northernlostsoul Fri 25-Mar-16 17:56:00

Tip the assistant they are the ones on £2.79 an hour

Muskateersmummy Fri 25-Mar-16 17:57:31

I don't. The cut is more expensive if it's done by the owner/most senior stylist already

burnishedsilver Fri 25-Mar-16 18:20:32

I've always heard that the convention is not to tip the owner.

Vanessamessa Fri 25-Mar-16 21:07:16

I tip the assistant, they really need the tip!

WhoisLucasHood Fri 25-Mar-16 21:12:09

I don't. My hairdresser is fab, instead of tipping I've brought new customers and visit her every month which I've never done for any other hairdresser.

Honeyandfizz Fri 25-Mar-16 21:14:34

No I only tend to tip her at Christmas. I pay nearly £100 for a cut and colour & as a part time nurse don't have an excess amount of cash. I feel I pay enough.

cuntycowfacemonkey Sat 26-Mar-16 11:29:08

I didn't tip. Feel a bit guilty because he was amazing and did a great job. Did but a £20 bottle of shampoo though and will happily recommend the salon. To be honest the whole idea of handing over a tenner to a very successful salon owner seemed excruciatingly awkward and clumsy though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now