Cruelty free skincare - any recommendations?

(13 Posts)
Mumtodogs Fri 25-Mar-16 09:16:20

I try to make sure I only buy cruelty free make up, perfume and skincare . I'm now just turned 40 and feel I need to start using more serious products for my skin- anti ageing etc. Can anyone recommend any great products which are also cruelty free? I'm particularly after a decent eye cream- has anyone tried the new Liz Earle one? It's a bit pricey for my usual budget !
I usually use Liz Earle and superdrug own brand ( the brilliant hot cloth cleanser which is like LE but a fraction of the price)

VulcanWoman Fri 25-Mar-16 09:25:18

I use almond and coconut oil as moisturisers and Dr Organic from Holland and Barrett for tea tree face wash and bar soap for body.
I truly believe it's genetics and in some part lifestyle, there's just no point in spending money on anti ageing products, it's all a big money making marketing con IMO.

ZaraW Fri 25-Mar-16 09:31:08

I'm currently using Kiss My Face creamy face wash, Bravura serum and Mychelle SPF. For cosmetics generally use Autograph from M&S it's part of the Leaping Bunny and quality is good.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Fri 25-Mar-16 09:46:41

Moogoo have an anti-aging cream, with and without spf.
It's lovely but tbh I agree that it's about generics, I can't use eye cream as I've never found one that doesn't make them sore, but my eyes look no worse than anyone else's my age (52).

sparechange Fri 25-Mar-16 10:00:49

REN is brilliant.
They have a few different anti aging ranges, depending on your skin type

ZaraW Fri 25-Mar-16 10:18:08

REN is good but their parent company Unilever tests on animals, I no longer buy their products.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 25-Mar-16 10:23:41

I have a Neals Yard moisturiser (in a pump bottle) very lightweight so good for summer.
I really liked the Liz Earle Eye serum but I'd only buy it in a collection (like QVC sells) it's ££

Superdrug (I like the Radiant one in the sage green bottle) . I'm using the serum/moisturiser, the eye cream and the overnight glycolic peel.
Bodyshop Camomile Butter to cleanse make-up

Good genes play a massive part but yes lifestyle plays an equal part.

Lots of water, no alcohol, no smoking, avoid sun exposure, enough sleep. I do drink coffee (lots) but otherwise I'm careful.
My Dad and his Mum (My Gran) look much younger than their years.

sparechange Fri 25-Mar-16 10:49:24

When did REN get bought by Unilever?!
I met the guys that founded it a few years ago. They did a talk about the founding principles of the business and were very impressive.

Holland & Barrett have a strict no-testing policy, so their brands? I've used a few of the Dr Organic products and they've been fine

I also love love Pure Nuff Stuff, which is mail order and all hand made in Cornwall. It's all SLS/paraban free, cruelty free, and they will even make up special batches for you

http://www.purenuffstuff.co.uk

botemp Fri 25-Mar-16 10:56:27

Pai skincare is all cruelty free, vegan, and I think most is organic though I don't like everything they make. I highly rate their Rosehip BioRegenerate Oil which is surprisingly affordable, Echium & Amaranth Age Confidence Facial Oil and the Kukui & Jojoba Skin Brightening Exfoliator. I received the Rosehip BioRegenerate Rapid Radiance Mask as a GWP, it's nice but does not warrant its price. I didn't like the Camellia & Rose Gentle Hydrating Cleanser, nothing really wrong with it but it wasn't all that hydrating for me and ran out very quickly. I'm currently desperately trying to finish the Chamomile & Rosehip Calming Day Cream, it's fine as a moisturiser I just don't like the finish of it at all and need to either mix it with another one or some oil. A friend of mine swears by their Age Confidence Cream. Their eye cream is a little too rich for my skin but might suit a more mature skin well.

Aurelia Probiotic Skincare is also all cruelty free, I love their Miracle Cleanser and have repeatedly repurchased it. I was less impressed with the serum, I liked the day and night moisturiser in summer but not so much in winter. Probiotics (Aurelia's USP) are touted as an anti-ageing property but while research is promising it lacks fundamental evidence currently.

I don't own a lot of MV Organic Skincare but I love all of it dearly, the Rose Plus booster is great for soothing my skin and keeping it well hydrated, the Jojoba oil is a great all rounder, my favourite is probably the 9 oil cleansing tonic which is the most confusingly described product ever; as an oil cleanser, don't use it as that, it's a treatment oil. You massage it in and then lay a damp and hot muslin over your face for a few seconds, breathe in deeply and then pat it all in. Leaves skin super soft and radiant, especially the next morning.

Weleda and Lavera have a ton of good options at lower prices, Dr. Haushka too, the Rose cream being the most famous one, great if you have very dry skin. The light version is decent too.

I found Tata Harper a little aggressive but effective, the enzyme mask is very good but the moisturising mask made me break out. I got on well with the Tata Harper eye cream but I found it all rather pricey. The cleansers are good but too expensive for what it is. The serums are supposedly amazing but the price is beyond anything resembling reasonable.

I would also suggest checking out REN which does a lot of effective products for anti-ageing at a decent price point (not drugstore budget but not excessive either) but it's been bought up by Unilever last year (which tests on animals a lot). REN remains cruelty free but you would be inadvertently financing their parent company which isn't cruelty free, so I leave it to you whether that's an important factor or not.

Check out naturismo and amazingy they both deal exclusively in natural/organic skincare which are almost always cruelty free (everything on amazingy is cruelty free). Both sites offer the option to buy various samples which is really handy if you just want to try out things, especially the more expensive items.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Fri 25-Mar-16 12:26:19

Um how do you find the time or the cash inclination to try out all that stuff botemp? No judging, just genuinely curious!
I agree with 70 that lifestyle is also important; you can't go caning it and expect a youthful glow.

botemp Fri 25-Mar-16 13:46:29

LOL Shotgun, some of it was larger samples (most of the Tata Harper stuff) or GWP, and this is all from the last couple of years. I tend to keep track of what I like and don't like for reference since my skin is finicky and is very different season to season. My mother was a prolific user of Weleda and Dr. Haushka so that's what I started with as a teenager, it's solid but nothing truly exciting.

And yes, lifestyle is key along with environment (pollution is killer). The skin is very much a reflection of your inner health and genetics pretty much determine how you age. I don't think you'll get many wow products that instantly do miraculous things overnight in skincare that then lasts, it's just about maintaining what you have and responding to its needs. The only proven anti-ageing ingredient is retinol, the rest really is marketing. Speaking of retinol, I haven't tried it but the Deciem products are also all cruelty free and their Hand Chemistry Retin Oil is safe to use on the face according to them. At a 100ml under ‎£20 that's a potentially cruelty free anti-ageing bargain.

Mumtodogs Fri 25-Mar-16 15:49:48

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! Will look into the brands I've not heard about. It's a tricky one about parent companies, that I am quite conflicted about. I stopped buying LE for a while when Avon acquired them, and swopped to superdrug own brands, but if you take it to the nth degree , superdrug also sell rimmel,loreal,Maybelline etc so as a company superdrug profit from products which have been tested. It's a minefield when you think it all through !

midnightmoomoo Fri 25-Mar-16 20:09:52

I had a sample of the new LE eye cream and it was lovely but I'm not sure it's worth the cost if I'm honest. I like the serum too but I can't justify £50 or thereabouts when I can't tell if it does any good or not! I'd iust stick to the Daily Eye Repair as its got some sunscreen in it (bet they discontinue it now as it's so much cheaper than the new one!)
I bought an Organic Surge hot cloth cleanser last week in tkmaxx and it's lovely!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now